Disabling Core Parking in windows fixed my stuttering in menu and game

Windows 11 Pro, 13900KS, RTX 4090. Max settings. I had awful stuttering/hitching in menus and in game on 2.9. Saw someone else posted about core parking and I tried it. My game has NEVER been so smooth. Here is the 2 minute video about it. Try it and see if it helps you out like it did me. I never post on here but this helped me out so much I had to. 

• Like 2

Hmm, for me as a Win10 user this registry edit has no effect. Windows still keeps parking CPU cores (even after a system reboot). Any other Win10 users here that to make this work?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Note: By default the High Performance power plan should have parking disabled.

Then it should be easier to modify the powerplans (min and max cpu power) instead of tinkering with the registry.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

If you do not see the "Processor performance core parking min cores" option under "Processor power management" when viewing a power plan, then you can run the following command from an admin command prompt

powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 -ATTRIB_HIDE

If you want to hide it again then change the -ATTRIB_HIDE to +ATTRIB_HIDE

100% means no core parking. 

This should be the default for the 'High Performance' power plan, as shown in the image in the post above.

Edited by AdrianL
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianL said:

The setting needs to be set for your active power plan. So you need to repeat the search on the registry for all items until the power settings key

Might be easier to use tool like https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility 

Note: By default the High Performance power plan should have parking disabled.

Oh, that's probably why it didn't work then. I wasn't aware this setting depends on the respective power plan 👍

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Then it should be easier to modify the powerplans (min and max cpu power) instead of tinkering with the registry.

That would have been my next question 😁

1 hour ago, AdrianL said:

It is. Setting is just hidden by default.

image.png

Got it, thanks 👍

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you do not see the "Processor performance core parking min cores" option under "Processor power management" when viewing a power plan, then you can run the following command from an admin command prompt

powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 -ATTRIB_HIDE

If you want to hide it again then change the -ATTRIB_HIDE to +ATTRIB_HIDE

100% means no core parking. 

This should be the default for the 'High Performance' power plan, as shown in the image in the post above.

Alright, I digged further into it, because if 100% is the default setting for the high performance power plan (which is the one I've always been using on my system), then why would it still be parking cores? Well, seems like there is another setting called "Processor performance core parking min cores for performance class 1 cores" or similar (my system is in German, so I'm not sure how the correct English description is) for systems with P- and E- cores that is set to 0% by default even on the high performance power plan. I guess this was the culprit. Testing now.

Edit: Alright, yeah, with this setting set to 100% as well, Windows has now stopped putting cores into parking and these major freezes in DCS seem to be gone. Will need to do some further testing to be entirely sure, but looking good. 👍

image.png

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

13 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Another setting called "Processor performance core parking min cores for performance class 1 cores"

powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318584 -ATTRIB_HIDE 
will show the E-Core setting in the power plan.
But my understanding is this should be left alone i.e. will be zero. Mine is  set to zero. 

The issue with CPU8/CPU0 affinity on startup is related to power cores.

None of your power cores should be parked. In your DCS log it will log out what it considers P or E-cores. Would check if that matches your CPU

Edited by AdrianL
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318584 -ATTRIB_HIDE 
will show the E-Core setting in the power plan.
But my understanding is this should be left alone i.e. will be zero. Mine is  set to zero. 

The issue with CPU8/CPU0 affinity on startup is related to power cores.

None of your power cores should be parked.

Oh, sorry, I didn't noticed this setting was already included in the command you posted, as I digged into it myself after you gave me the right pointers. My bad! 🤦‍♂️
Anyways, I'm glad I did do that, because it was quite eye opening to see what's going on there and what other hidden settings are available.

I hope your findings will help ED to address this issue 👍

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

setting was already included in the command you posted

2nd cmd is different to the first. Ending in 83 is power core. Ending in 84 is e-core. 

PCore: powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 -ATTRIB_HIDE 
ECore: powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318584 -ATTRIB_HIDE 

Also the setting seems unintuitive to me. 100% means no parking. Zero means allow parking for all cores.  Reading the setting I expected it to be the other way around 🙂

Scary how many settings are hidden. But they also generally hidden as you can have issues with some of them if the setting is not fully understood.

• Thanks 1

Also the setting seems unintuitive to me. 100% means no parking. Zero means allow parking for all cores.  Reading the setting I expected it to be the other way around 🙂

Yeah, 100% is meant like all of the cores should be available at all times.

Scary how many settings are hidden. But they also generally hidden as you can have issues with some of them if the setting is not fully understood.

Yeah, I just set them all to not be hidden anymore and use the GUI to tinker with them. It's amazing what kind of stuff you can set there in regards to CPU management!

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, AdrianL said:

It is. Setting is just hidden by default.

image.png

Thx, I’ll try it Today. Btw. I have High performance on however my cores are parking too. I’ll see after the changes.

Edit: I have 100% max and min.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 10/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, baileya1c said:

Windows 11 Pro, 13900KS, RTX 4090. Max settings. I had awful stuttering/hitching in menus and in game on 2.9. Saw someone else posted about core parking and I tried it. My game has NEVER been so smooth. Here is the 2 minute video about it. Try it and see if it helps you out like it did me. I never post on here but this helped me out so much I had to. 

Checked but it doesnt work for Windows 10 after reboot as well. I see "parked" still.

8th and 10th cores 100%, the rest are parked 😞

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

45 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Checked but it doesnt work for Windows 10 after reboot as well. I see "parked" still.

Have you followed the instructions of @AdrianL?

5 hours ago, QuiGon said:

On systems with CPUs that have both P- and E- cores (like the 12700, 12900, 13700 and 13900 intel CPUs) the 'High Performance' plan has core parking disabled by default only for the E-cores. On these systems you need to disable core parking for the P- cores as well as @AdrianL described here:

Be aware though, that it will increase the power consumption of your CPU in general, even if you're not playing DCS. It's yet another workaround in addition to the already discussed workarounds:

• Disabling Hyper Threading (HT) in the BIOS, which will disable all your virtual cores, thus reducing overall CPU performance.
  • Taking core #8 away from DCS through the Task Manager, which has to be done everytime DCS is launched.

All three workaround work just fine, but each has its own unique advantages and disadvantages

Tornado3 small.jpg

18 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Have you followed the instructions of @AdrianL?

Going to recommend people  use CPU Unpark https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility Much easier than messing with registry or command lines.

Download and run. Nothing to install.

Make sure the slider is on 100% for the selected power plan. Press apply and you done.

No need to use the app again.

Note it does need .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed but most PCs will have that by now

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Going to recommend people  use CPU Unpark https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

Download and run. Nothing to install.

Make sure the slider is on 100% for the selected power plan (or press unpark all). Press apply and you done.

No need to use the app again

Note it does need .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed but most PCs will have that by now

Is this ok too? https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

7 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Going to recommend people  use CPU Unpark https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility Much easier than messing with registry or command lines.

Yeah, it's probably easier and less dangerous for most users to just use a tool do that 👍

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hmmm, unparked all > apply:

13900K, still see parked.

image.png

btw. this is my power plan (the highest), I have .NET Framework 4.6.1 or better. Windows 10.

Maybe the answer is here: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=11690#p91528 .

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

16 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Hmmm, unparked all > apply:

13900K, still see parked.

image.png

btw. this is my power plan (the highest), I have .NET Framework 4.6.1 or better. Windows 10.

Well, I guess you have to use @AdrianL's command prompt instructions then. Have you tried them yet?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ahh.... after the restart of PC (important thing!).

Looks ok now:

image.png

Btw. for the future - how to set up back to default? 🙂

11 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Well, I guess you have to use @AdrianL's command prompt instructions then. Have you tried them yet?

No, only soft.

Edit. You can go crazy, after a while, ups:

image.png

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

1 minute ago, YoYo said:

how to set up back to default?

Default most likely would been 4, for later Intel CPUs. Just move the slider to the left until you see 4 and press apply.

Or just reset the entire power plan. Edit Power Plan, set another power plan active, select the the power plan you want to reset and then 'Restore plan defaults'. Then set that power plan active again

image.png

10 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Looks ok now:

Did it help with your stuttering / freezing issue?

• Thanks 1

Jesus, it's not that simple. Now I see that I cannot change the plan, it always returns to the same one. From what I can see, this is a known issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-power-plan-will-not-changewindows10/254d2a4e-7fda-4e2b-bf98-acef8e6e0eb1

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-cant-change-power-plan-settings-in-windows/

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif