2.9 DLSS checklist - great video guide

Mr_sukebe

19 hours ago, twistking said:

I'd dare to say that i'm speculating from a position of technical understanding. I get your argument about noise, but -to be honest- the video you posted adds more noise than our little discussion here. We are arguing about minute details, while the video is just wrong (with probably more clicks than this forum thread). Again, not a big problem, because it's not harmful advise given, but still -technically- wrong (and egregiously unscientific: i watched it again and the author never even discloses if he saw benefits from deleting the shader cache. so i assume he did not.)

By speculating from a position on technical understanding, what do you mean?

Game developer, dev for 3rd party, ED employee, Nvidia employee?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

3 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

By speculating from a position on technical understanding, what do you mean?

Game developer, dev for 3rd party, ED employee, Nvidia employee?

I mean that i do have a decent technical understanding about the things discussed here. I'm not involved with ED or Nvidia, no! But shader compilation is not a phenomenon exclusive to DCS obviously, so one can make educated guesses without being an ED developer. In fact, i would cautiously argue, that i'm not speculating at all. Maybe that's semantics only, idk...

This thread established some undisputed facts about shader compilation and related, potential issues. The only speculation is why ED can't just solve that whole issue automatically with each patch and save us from future discussion like these. I'll give you that i cannot know the anwser to that, but take a look at @Art-J's post again: Automatic shader-wipe worked for a while, then broke again. Knowing ED that seems very plausible. Speculation?

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

Please check the following video for the newer patch:

I guess that there is a long way to go for ED 🙂 

Edited by scommander2

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

56 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

Please check the following video for the newer patch:

I guess that there is a long way to go for ED 🙂 

That’s a big laugh. A guy with a 4090 fiddling with his settings 🤣

A 4090 can run everything on max in 4K at 120 fps without resorting to DLSS or any of that silly stuff. These YouTubers are great at telling people how spin their wheels 🙄 The only good advice about DLSS is to turn it off. 
I have the impression that all the 2.9 options have just resulted in mass confusion and actually result in worse graphics for lots of people. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

[...] I have the impression that all the 2.9 options have just resulted in mass confusion and actually result in worse graphics for lots of people. 

But then i'm sure that DLSS helped a ton of people to realize they've been running the ST built the whole time...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, twistking said:

But then i'm sure that DLSS helped a ton of people to realize they've been running the ST built the whole time...

Because it looks even more horrible? 😉

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I have the impression that all the 2.9 options have just resulted in mass confusion and actually result in worse graphics for lots of people. 

Agress with 100%, and it is up the users that the new things may not be perfect as we expect (nothing personally).

• Like 1

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

DLSS is a rather over-hyped boondoggle feature IMO. People are confused by it thinking it must improve their graphics when it’s actually the reverse. The best quality setting for DLSS is “Off”. But they turn it on and then go down a rabbit hole of trying to fix what it did (as in the OP video). Also Dynamic Learning Super Sampling isn’t super sampling, it’s upscaling. But the marketing department must not have liked the sound of DLUS. They gotta come up with tag lines like “AI to create additional frames and improve image quality.” uh you mean at the expense of image quality 🙄 Where are the lawyers when you need them? 😆

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

DLSS is a rather over-hyped boondoggle feature IMO

With a 4090 then maybe DLSS does not do anything, but for me with a 4070 it has made a big difference in terms of quality and performance. I am very impressed.

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

With a 4090 then maybe DLSS does not do anything, but for me with a 4070 it has made a big difference in terms of quality and performance. I am very impressed.

Just performance at the expense of quality. Like any other setting. It’s not a magic bullet. DCS is not that GPU hungry, I’m surprised s 4070 would need it. Ok unless you’re using VR. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Just performance at the expense of quality. Like any other setting. It’s not a magic bullet. DCS is not that GPU hungry, I’m surprised s 4070 would need it. Ok unless you’re using VR. 

Yes. I am using VR. Sorry I should have made it clear. For me this is a real game changer. Quality and performance improvement. It shifts a huge amount of load from the GPU to the CPU. Still some wrinkles to iron out but it’s great so far. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

It shifts a huge amount of load from the GPU to the CPU

I think you mean you’re now CPU-limited. I don’t imagine DLSS has anything to do with the CPU. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is another good video from @Reflected (my favor author for all F-14 productions):

I understood that all his suggestions may or may not work for my environment and it is okay. It is a good learning experience how he figured out for his environment 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1