CPU bound, gpu bound and nvidia control panel

Gunfreak

So someone said after 2.9 you should put your nvidia control panel settings back to default.

I tried that and this is what happened.

I went from 45-50 fps GPU bound. To 55-60fps cpu bound.

And I thought, ah if I can find some settings that improve my cpu performance I might get 70fps stable.

But any change to the invida control panel, brings me back to 50ish fps and gpu bound.

Short of overclocking my CPU, is there anyway to get better cpu performance in dcs?

I use a 3090, i7 13700k @5.4gig, 64gig ram. Pimax crystal with Quadview and foveated rendering 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

49 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Short of overclocking my CPU, is there anyway to get better cpu performance in dcs?

I use a 3090, i7 13700k @5.4gig, 64gig ram. Pimax crystal with Quadview and foveated rendering 

Other than making sure that no stuff is running in the background, that could eat up cpu-cycles unnecessarily…. No, not really.*

And overclocking the cpu - the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, if you asked me. So I wouldn’t even bother.

(*given that your bios settings are ok. Most importantly XMP is enabled; and you could toggle Hyperthreading and see if it improves something for you either way)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

So, I am having a similar problem, cpu bound, albeit with the g2, as I understand it, quadview will additionally load the CPU, try running with that off...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

9 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

So someone said after 2.9 you should put your nvidia control panel settings back to default.

I tried that and this is what happened.

I went from 45-50 fps GPU bound. To 55-60fps cpu bound.

And I thought, ah if I can find some settings that improve my cpu performance I might get 70fps stable.

But any change to the invida control panel, brings me back to 50ish fps and gpu bound.

Hmm… I have a I9 13900K, not sure how much improvement over your cpu that gives me.. but I do have a rtx 4090 vs your rtx 3090. And I have about 90 fps with Quadview. So to me it must be about the GPU too even though you say it’s your CPU.  

But there are so many other factors so it’s hard to compare. 🙂 

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

8 hours ago, Hiob said:

Other than making sure that no stuff is running in the background, that could eat up cpu-cycles unnecessarily…. No, not really.*

And overclocking the cpu - the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, if you asked me. So I wouldn’t even bother.

(*given that your bios settings are ok. Most importantly XMP is enabled; and you could toggle Hyperthreading and see if it improves something for you either way)

Xmp and hypertheading is on.

I have been noticing a fluctuation between CPU and GPU limiting on the DCS overlay even at lower fps (50-60) which should be GPU limiting for me. Does this mean that DLSS and QVFR allows more efficient use of the CPU? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

well f#ck me with a fish fork, I just turned of Hyper Threading .. I gained about 10FPS , still CPU bound but a big bump... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

7 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

well f#ck me with a fish fork, I just turned of Hyper Threading .. I gained about 10FPS , still CPU bound but a big bump... 

The thing with hyperthreading is, all the data must be organized. The scheduler is the bottleneck here. And if you don't prozess a LOT of data in a constant stream, like e.g. cinebench, you don't really need all those threads. You relieve the scheduler when you turn off HT. Also, two physical cores are more performant than a a second logical one on one physical.

I would say, with DCS in mind, if you have at least six physical cores, leave HT off.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

As we are talking about bios tweaks.

If you don't use windows sandbox or some kind of Virtual Machines, you might test if turning off virtualization in the bios cpu settings does further improve your CPU performance in DCS.

Another thing to test.

Reboot your system to the point you would normally start DCS and leave it idling there for five minutes. Than bring up the task manager and go to the performance tab. On the lower part of the page you should see, how many processes are running at idle. In an unoptimized system that can easily be 200+. If you are really serious about it, you can bring it down to ~80.

Edited by Hiob

11 minutes ago, Hiob said:

The thing with hyperthreading is, all the data must be organized. The scheduler is the bottleneck here. And if you don't prozess a LOT of data in a constant stream, like e.g. cinebench, you don't really need all those threads. You relieve the scheduler when you turn off HT. Also, two physical cores are more performant than a a second logical one on one physical.

I would say, with DCS in mind, if you have at least six physical cores, leave HT off.

yep, seems to be at least for me... @BIGNEWY a note for the dev team, performance at least on my 12700k has improved markedly by turning off hyper-threading (between a 10-15%) performance improvement in game ... if there are any useful diagnostics that you need let me know and i will ping them over, though initial mission load times are increased.  What is also stunning is that running at 90hz... is not (a complete stutter fest) if you are running less than 90FPS... I wont claim it is perfectly smooth but it seems to be very playable 

27 minutes ago, Hiob said:

As we are talking about bios tweaks.

If you don't use windows sandbox or some kind of Virtual Machines, you might test if turning off virtualization in the bios cpu settings does further improve your CPU performance in DCS.

Another thing to test.

Reboot your system to the point you would normally start DCS and leave it idling there for five minutes. Than bring up the task manager and go to the performance tab. On the lower part of the page you should see, how many processes are running at idle. In an unoptimized system that can easily be 200+. If you are really serious about it, you can bring it down to ~80.

I will give the virtualisation thing a go as well ... 

I have always turned hyperthreading for my CPU off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

virtualisation being turned off, didnt seem to make a big difference alas... and the frames remain jerky in the hornet (i was testing in the apache) earlier, but overall still improved.

20 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have always turned hyperthreading for my CPU off.

I alwaysed used to for 6600k but when i upgraded it didnt seem to need to before 2.9

Ok, dowloaded process lasso, I tried to use it back when I had a i9 9900k, but it had zero effeckt, I've had a i7 13700k for half a year now, but never reinstalled proecess lassom, by seprating the cores used for dcs from cores used with other prossess I got a good 15-20fps. Now my FPS is all over the place, from 60 to almost 80, but rearly goes below that. the program can turn off hyper threading so I might try it that way.