[MT] IndirectLightVolumeModule Crash when changing slot in multiplayer

Drangoll
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

DCS Crashes when trying to get in another mi24 (multiplayer)  slot , when already in one

Using DCS MT OB version 2.9.0.47168

To replicate : 
1) load into a server with mi24 slots and enter one. Wait for everything to load
2) Press ESC and go to "Select Role" 
3) Select another available mi24 slot and press fly

3.5) Try several times steps 2 through 3 if nothing happens as behaviour seems a bit random
4) DCS crash gui appears

dcs.log.old SyriaLiberation_V0.2-20231027-214947.trk

Edited by Drangoll

22 minuti fa, Archer.xd ha scritto:

I cant replicate it. I tried on my server, no crash. Watched your track, no crash on that either. 
Can you try with removing all user mods and running a slow repair? And send another log if it crashes after that too

Maybe the replay didn't capture the crash , but there were multiple
I had another user replicate the same issue in the same server 
So maybe a server issue ?

Edited by Drangoll

You still have mods in:

ECHO19_F16,ECHO19_FA18,Tacview,DCS-SRS

I'd recommend removing the ECHO19 stuff and Tacview for now. Besides that, you should lower your Preload Radius to 60000.
Your Windows needs an update, too.

Delete Saved Games\DCS(.openbeta)\fxo and metashader2 after you fixed the above and try again.

Do you use Reshade? If yes, remove it also for now.

4 ore fa, Special K ha scritto:

You still have mods in:

ECHO19_F16,ECHO19_FA18,Tacview,DCS-SRS

I'd recommend removing the ECHO19 stuff and Tacview for now. Besides that, you should lower your Preload Radius to 60000.
Your Windows needs an update, too.

Delete Saved Games\DCS(.openbeta)\fxo and metashader2 after you fixed the above and try again.

Do you use Reshade? If yes, remove it also for now.

Ok so I did everything you suggested : 
- removed everything from the mod folder in Saved Games
- set the preload radius to 60k

- updated windows

- deleted fx0 and metashader2 folders inside dcs.Openbeta folder

Unfortunately same behaviour.
After the third switch of slot DCS crashed

Also another note : I was not the first player to experience these crashes on the same server
Another player reported these issues to me..I replicated the steps and got the same results

Update : Tried another server and got the same result at the first change of slot (see

dcs.log-20231028-183913.zip  for log)

dcs.log-20231028-182227.zip

dcs.log-20231028-183913.zip

Edited by Drangoll

1 ora fa, Special K ha scritto:

Can you try another thing:

• Turn off SSAO.
  • Consider using DLAA.
  • Set Shadows to Medium.
  • Turn down Anisotropic Filtering.
  • Set Water to Medium or Low.
  • Set Preload Radius to max. 60000.

Delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\TEMP\DCS.openbeta

Tried this and still got a crash (first attempt)

One thing I notice is the mi24 is maxing out my system memory , which never happened before the latest hotfix
Other users I fly with , that have more system memory , (64 or 48 gigs)  don't have this issue.
The other user that initially encountered these crashes has ,like me, 32 gigs of system memory.
I'm starting to think that there's an issue with memory consumption in the mi-24
As always the crash logs  :

dcs.log-20231028-215649.zip

Edited by Drangoll

8 ore fa, Special K ha scritto:

Your DCS is not running out of memory. It crashes somewhere in the renderer. But you can always increase your pagefile. That would show if it is a memory issue or not. Make it 65536 initial and max and lets see.

And check if your GPU driver is up-to-date.

Increased the page file to the suggested amount and updated the graphics driver (I did update it last week but there was a newer one available)

Unfortunately It didn't help .. DCS crashed after at the third attempt of slot change

dcs.log-20231029-072326.zip

Edited by Drangoll

• 2 weeks later...
Am 7.11.2023 um 16:47 schrieb Drangoll:

Any update on this issue ?
I'm still getting these crashes in MP...

Hello,

i am sorry that i to late found out, that my posts in this thread fits perfect here , maybe a mod or admin can move it to this thread  :

Today i found out, that DCS crashes, after i choose the 2. time a slot in a MP map, which i tested now several times with th hind as a mission map.

Same issue .... everything works wonderful until i choose antother or also the same slot i used before.

Only happens with the MI-24 Mod. 

@Flappie

I think there may be something up with the Hind. Since we've solved that issue with my system a few weeks ago I've had no crashes, except when flying the Hind.

Only had this happen in multiplayer. Can't narrow it down to a specific event, but I've had this happen after getting shot down and re-spawning a 2nd time in the same player slot. Also had this happen when changing to a different slot (going from one Hind slot, to another Hind slot). Similar how it happens each time, your view changes to the Hind which starts to render. You also hear the sound of the cockpit door opening. Within a second to two the sim freezes and the DXDiag box pops up after a moment.

Since this was MP, the track file is way to big to upload. I do have two of the crash dump files which I've uploaded.

EDIT: Had this happen on different maps, with different missions running so I can’t correlate this issue with a specific server/map/mission  

dcs.log-20231112-032858.zip dcs.log-20231115-045811.zip

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

I've just tried three different servers and spawned several times in different Mi-24P slots. I cannot reproduce this issue. 😕

Please try this, just in case:

1. Browse to "Saved Games/DCS...".
  2. Rename the "Scripts" folder to "Scripts.bak" (custom scripts are now disabled).
  3. Start DCS and try to reproduce the crash.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Il 15/11/2023 at 14:42, Diesel_Thunder ha scritto:

@Flappie

I think there may be something up with the Hind. Since we've solved that issue with my system a few weeks ago I've had no crashes, except when flying the Hind.

Only had this happen in multiplayer. Can't narrow it down to a specific event, but I've had this happen after getting shot down and re-spawning a 2nd time in the same player slot. Also had this happen when changing to a different slot (going from one Hind slot, to another Hind slot). Similar how it happens each time, your view changes to the Hind which starts to render. You also hear the sound of the cockpit door opening. Within a second to two the sim freezes and the DXDiag box pops up after a moment.

Since this was MP, the track file is way to big to upload. I do have two of the crash dump files which I've uploaded.

EDIT: Had this happen on different maps, with different missions running so I can’t correlate this issue with a specific server/map/mission  

dcs.log-20231112-032858.zip 295.79 kB · 3 download dcs.log-20231115-045811.zip 402.39 kB · 1 download

Exactly what happened 5 min ago.
With the new patch I hopped on a random Server , tried changing between slots..and bam.. same issue
Crashed at first attempt.

EDIT : tried replicating this in SP and it doesn't happen : I've changed slot 40 times and no crash

@BIGNEWY can we have an official statement on this issue? 
It renders MI-24 unusable in MP 

As always the logs and track are in the .zip

dcs.log-20231116-162000.zip

Edited by Drangoll

18 ore fa, Flappie ha scritto:

I've just tried three different servers and spawned several times in different Mi-24P slots. I cannot reproduce this issue. 😕

Please try this, just in case:

1. Browse to "Saved Games/DCS...".
  2. Rename the "Scripts" folder to "Scripts.bak" (custom scripts are now disabled).
  3. Start DCS and try to reproduce the crash.

Tried this and, at least for me , it doesn't fix the issue
Still crashed at 4th attempt to re-slot

Logs and track

dcs.log-20231116-163538.zip

Edited by Drangoll

• ED Team

Hi both, 

we will try to reproduce in the team. 

Please can you try this. 

Rename your dcs folder in saved games to dcsbackup ( keep it as a backup )

run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

restart dcs login and test. ( do not add any unofficial mods or scripts. ) 

If you crash again please attach fresh logs.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 ora fa, BIGNEWY ha scritto:

Hi both, 

we will try to reproduce in the team. 

Please can you try this. 

Rename your dcs folder in saved games to dcsbackup ( keep it as a backup )

run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

restart dcs login and test. ( do not add any unofficial mods or scripts. ) 

If you crash again please attach fresh logs.

I think the creation of a new dcs.openbeta (by renaming the original one and launching dcs after a long repair) folder in saved games fixed the issue
I connected to Through the Inferno Server (syria) , changed slot 20+ times and no crash so far

Maybe a currupted file in the old folder (since both custom scripts and mods were absent)?

I would like to thank everyone that stopped by to help 🙏

Edited by Drangoll

• ED Team
Just now, Drangoll said:

I think the creation of a new dcs.openbeta (by renaming the original one and launching dcs after a long repair) folder in saved games fixed the issue
I connected to Through the Inferno Server (syria) , changed slot 20+ times and no crash so far

Maybe a currupted file in the old folder (since both custom scripts and mods were absent)?

good to hear it has helped. 

It was probably some mod or script issue. 

you can move your input folder from the backup to the newly created dcs saved games folder, but dont move anything else unless you know it is not the cause of the issue. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I experienced this last night, while on our squadron server which was running a mission on the Syria map. No problems spawning into the first Hind. After landing at one location, I went to spawn at another location. I slotted into a Harrier first which spawned normally. I re-slotted into the second Hind which froze DCS immediately and then crashed to desktop. I was in multiplayer, so that track file is way to large to upload. Do have the crash log attached though.

dcs.log-20231117-035941.zip

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Have you tried what @Drangoll did?

1. In "Saved Games", rename you "DCS.openbeta" folder to "DCS.bak".
  2. Run DCS then exit when you see its main menu.
  3. Copy your "DCS.bak/Config/Input" folder into the new "DCS.openbeta/Config" folder (accept overwriting).
  4. Run DCS once more and see if you can reproduce the crash.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@Flappie

Was able to reproduce this issue on the first attempt after having DCS create the new DCS.openbeta folder. I loaded into a server, started up the Hind, took off for a short flight and intentionally had a "bad landing". Immediately upon respawn into the same slot, DCS froze and then crashed to desktop. Even with the short flight, the track file is 17 MB, too large to upload here.

Here is the log file, plus the crash dump. Hope this helps narrow it down.

dcs.log dcs.log-20231118-215413.zip

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg