Fuzzy clouds in the distance

Hi, after the latest Hotfix i got fuzzy/shimmering clouds in the distance, more if i'm at higher altitude.

I have cleared my FXO, METASHADERS folder, i have also tried different gfx settings, but no luck.

CPU: i7-12700k
GPU: RTX 4070 OC 12gb
RAM: 32gb DDR4

Edited by FredoFrance
Spec
  • Like 1

Rig: Intel I5 8400, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1060, 2x24" wide Philips.

DCS 2.5 modules: A-10C, F15C, AJS-37 Viggen. X52 FSC

• 3 weeks later...

How to fix this I can't figure out? I have it set to the highest settings. I've also tried changing different anti-aliasing options, changing the MT version to normal and in the end nothing helps. The graphics of version 2.8 were much prettier and smoother to the eye.   13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF   3.00 GHz, 64GB DDR5 4800Mhz, RTX 4090 KFA2
MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI, SSD 8TB 

Version 2.9 

DCS 2023-11-13 22-39-17.jpeg

DCS 2023-11-13 22-38-59.jpeg

Version 2.8

DCS 2023-08-18 00-32-59.jpeg

DCS 2023-06-21 16-16-00.jpeg

I tried "Visib range" to ultra, and it did some good things for distant clouds.
Has some impact on performance though, and not every rig can "afford" it.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

On 11/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, pavelpilot said:

How to fix this I can't figure out? I have it set to the highest settings. I've also tried changing different anti-aliasing options, changing the MT version to normal and in the end nothing helps. The graphics of version 2.8 were much prettier and smoother to the eye.   13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF   3.00 GHz, 64GB DDR5 4800Mhz, RTX 4090 KFA2
MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI, SSD 8TB 

Version 2.9 

DCS 2023-11-13 22-39-17.jpeg

DCS 2023-11-13 22-38-59.jpeg

Version 2.8

DCS 2023-08-18 00-32-59.jpeg

DCS 2023-06-21 16-16-00.jpeg

Try deleting fxo and metashaders2 folder in your DCS Saved Games folder and re-launch the sim, might help.

I also have a similar issue. I've recently reinstalled the OS and DCS, so I'm not sure what is to blame here - if it's the patch or something on my side. Settings  are maxed out. Clouds on ultra, MSAA x4, no DLSS on these screens:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mission is quick mission F-15E ramp start on Nevada (I edited it so it starts on the runway). No idea if preset or time of day play a role here, but I assume some presets and conditions can make it more visible.

Also, did clouds look so bad (pixelated) in mirrors before as well?

Edited by Jascha

Thanks, but I don't have F-16 either, or any modern aircraft for that matter 😄

I forgot, however, that If I've got the got the map I can open the mission file and replace the player's aircraft, and so I did. Screenshots below.

As long horizon is level I'm getting some kind-of pixellation of the furthest cloud layers, but nothing as bad as you at close-to-medium distances. Adding any angle to the horizon does make things much worse, though, just like on your screens.

We have a bit different gfx settings, but the problem is still there. That's the first time I'v noticed it in 2.9 so I think it might be inherent issue with some of the cloud presets, but I only flew with 2 or 3 of them, so can't say which are good and which are bad.

Screen_231116_144951.jpg

Screen_231116_145918.jpg

Screen_231116_145920.jpg

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks for testing it. It is the same issue. And fuzzy clouds on the horizon line seem to be one thing and visible pixelization is something different. I thought that maybe it is caused by DLSS or DLAA but it occurs with MSAA too. I also noticed that this issue is not that much visible during level flight. It intensifies during turns.

Your second screenshot seems to confirm it (and has pixels on closer layer of clouds as well):

Screenshot_1.jpg

The first screenshot looks fine (there is some fuzziness over the horizon, but no pixelization). But I bet with horizontally moving background, the effect would be similar.

How about mirrors?

Edited by Jascha

17 hours ago, Jascha said:

How about mirrors?

Finally had time to do some more flying in latest OB today.

Mirrors? Not bad, actually. Screens below. At the same time, I've noticed in cockpit view that pixellation seems to be more motion-induced, rather than angle-induced. It's shows up for me while pitching fast or rolling, but later, when I stabilize the plane at constant pitch and bank angle, it mostly disappears and the image is OK again. 

Screen_231117_100201.jpg

Screen_231117_100354.jpg

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 weeks later...
Am 17.11.2023 um 10:22 schrieb Art-J:

Finally had time to do some more flying in latest OB today.

Mirrors? Not bad, actually. Screens below. At the same time, I've noticed in cockpit view that pixellation seems to be more motion-induced, rather than angle-induced. It's shows up for me while pitching fast or rolling, but later, when I stabilize the plane at constant pitch and bank angle, it mostly disappears and the image is OK again. 

Screen_231117_100201.jpg

Screen_231117_100354.jpg

So what did the fix for the issue on you system? I am looking for a solution since weeks, since the clouds look really pixelated and blocky for me, especially when the sun is close to the horizon. Even reinstalled dcs completely...

^ Honestly, I kept my settings as they were and haven't looked for a fix anymore. The pixellation shows only in specific lighting conditions, with specific cloud presets and only when my plane is rolling/pitching fast.

All and all, it's not noticeable enough for me in majority of the missions I fly to be bothered by it. It's certainly less noticeable than the problem of micro-jumping cloud layers anyway. IF it's caused by DLAA maybe (which I use), then so be it. Pros outweigh the cons in such case. 

Granted, I haven't experienced patterns as ugly as shown on pavelpilot's screenshots yet. These must be more somwhow related to cloud preset he used in his mission, but I don't know which one it was.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So. Thats how clouds look like in my case after 2.9 update.

Compression reduced details a lot - in dcs this effect muuuuuch moooore noticeable.

This is F16 Weasels Over Syria by Ground Pounder Sims

Edited by di_

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 4:02 PM, di_ said:

So. Thats how clouds look like in my case after 2.9 update.

Compression reduced details a lot - in dcs this effect muuuuuch moooore noticeable.

This is F16 Weasels Over Syria by Ground Pounder Sims

I was just on this mission today and noticed how bad the clouds look in the distance.  But I was in VR. Never noticed it before today.

I never noticed it when playing on my screen, either.  When on my screen, I have all settings maxed out, though.  Not sure what it could be with VR.  I'm going to continue testing if I have the issue via VD and Airlink.  The VR cloud issue I mentioned previously was when I was using the Link cable.

On 2/25/2024 at 1:57 PM, giullep said:

I have the same problem..but in 2d not in vr…any solution?

I'm going to try to delete the FX and metashaders tonight to see if that helps.  Other than that, I'm not sure what to do.  Hard to tell nowadays what is a remaining issue with the simulator vs an issue with my local system.  Unlike other users, I tend to blame my system for the issue first and with the cloud pixelation issues, I'm still at that point :)

Well, i tried DCS today again, latest DCS, latest BIOS, graphics driver...everything. And i cant get rid of the shimmering.

I cleanded the FXO and metashaders2....no luck...it's not fun to fly with all the shimmering.

1 hour ago, FredoFrance said:

...it's not fun to fly with all the shimmering.

Have you tried TLAA?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 3/7/2024 at 10:40 PM, draconus said:

Have you tried TLAA?

Well, i changed to DLAA, so now it seems to be working, got vis.range to max and i got the other settings almost to max....got stable 140fps.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FredoFrance said:

i changed to DLAA

With 1060?!

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria