Restarting engines in flight

I have been reading throught the manual and I can't find any in flight engine restart procedure. I was experimenting with negative G manuevers and this tends to stop both engines and I have tried restarting them with the JFS starter but this doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on this?

3 hours ago, 555 said:

I have tried restarting them with the JFS starter but this doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on this?

I have not yet really tried to practice this on DCS, but here is a very helpful article that I found on the subject a while ago:

F-15 JFS AIRSTARTS.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

I just had a dual engine failure...JFS didn't help at all. JFS kicked on just fine but engines just spooled for about 10 secs then spooled done. 300kts IAS and everywhere from 25,000ft down to 2,000ft. No light off. Big splash...

Former SSG US Army

UH-60A/L/M Crewchief

"2 To Fly!"

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tiengo said:

What is the details procedure ?

TL;DR:

AFAIK the same as a "normal" ground start.

Detail:

For JFS assisted restarts, Engine RPM needs be be below 30% or the shaft pawl (pin) will shear (simulated) and engine fail to start/need repair.
As with a "normal" start, go from engine cut off to idle at the appropriate time/rpm.

Windmill restarting isn't modelled yet.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

5 hours ago, tiengo said:

Thx Erazor,

What is the details procedure ?

I try to understand through the video but I can't reproduce the air-start.

thx

tiengo

Like @Ramsay said, its basically a cold start with the following differences:

• Need to switch to the second JFS bottle by rotating the JFS switch
  • In my experience the throttle does not react until both engines are running again (you can observe this in the video)

Edited by Erazor

2 hours ago, Erazor said:

Like @Ramsay said, its basically a cold start with the following differences:

• Need to switch to the second JFS bottle by rotating the JFS switch
  • In my experience the throttle does not react until both engines are running again (you can observe this in the video)

Bottles recharge.  You ‘do not’ need to always use the second bottle. 

I did this by accident after a zoom climb and negative G's flamed out the engines.  I just put throttles to cut-off, hit the JFS (no change of bottle) and then finger lift to start the right engine and throttle to idle once RPM was 24%.  I was able to throttle the right engine up while then starting the left engine the same way.  Luckily I was at 35k feet, so plenty of time to do this.  Got the engines going again and landed.  Was quite fun and unexpected as I was not aware the F-15E engines flamed out like an F-14A 🙂