Possible VR purchase for DCS…

rkk01

well mainly depends on the budget and what PC you currently have, Specs and budget??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

5 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

well mainly depends on the budget and what PC you currently have, Specs and budget??

It’s a relatively old system…

i5-6600k on an ASUS Z170-A m/b

cpu is running at 3.9 gig

32gig DDR4 RAM

RTX3060 GPU 

the Reverb G2 V2 kind of matched my budget / expectations when I initially looked at VR for DCS, but the price has remained high in the UK (£620) and I suspect other headsets might offer similar / more for less £££

I don’t find the standard online / mag reviews that helpful as they’re not really aimed at our sort of sims😕

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

It’s a relatively old system…

i5-6600k on an ASUS Z170-A m/b

cpu is running at 3.9 gig

32gig DDR4 RAM

RTX3060 GPU 

the Reverb G2 V2 kind of matched my budget / expectations when I initially looked at VR for DCS, but the price has remained high in the UK (£620) and I suspect other headsets might offer similar / more for less £££

I don’t find the standard online / mag reviews that helpful as they’re not really aimed at our sort of sims😕

Unfortuately you're not going to have a great experience with the 3060 unless you're looking at valve index/riftS/WMR gen1 headsets, however their resolution and clarity impedes the reading of stuff in the cockpit; definitely below par for driving a G2.  Additionally the 4 core CPU is likely to get swamped pretty quickly now with the MT engine.  Realistically to have a decent VR experience with the G2 you should be looking at a 3080 upwards and even then you need to make compromises with resolution and some settings.

1 hour ago, ssg said:

I am going to hijack a bit, how big deal is DFR?

Quest Pro is the most affordable DFR capable headset. Quest 3 however beats it on every other metric expect DFR and local dimming and is half the price. 

When setup right it's a massive thing, I've seen uplifts of close to 100% with the aero over pure stereo rendering.  I have tweaked and tuned it to achieve these figures though.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 hours ago, ssg said:

I am going to hijack a bit, how big deal is DFR?

Quest Pro is the most affordable DFR capable headset. Quest 3 however beats it on every other metric expect DFR and local dimming and is half the price. 

I'm also in the market for an upgrade from Q2 and for sure reading the users' statements on QPro, the differences between Q3 and Qpro are more than eyetracking and local dimming. Lenses are better in Qpro offering better color and clarity. If those are covering the price difference I guess it's personal. I still try to make a decision myself between the two.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

11 hours ago, edmuss said:

Unfortuately you're not going to have a great experience with the 3060 unless you're looking at valve index/riftS/WMR gen1 headsets, however their resolution and clarity impedes the reading of stuff in the cockpit; definitely below par for driving a G2.  Additionally the 4 core CPU is likely to get swamped pretty quickly now with the MT engine.  Realistically to have a decent VR experience with the G2 you should be looking at a 3080 upwards and even then you need to make compromises with resolution and some settings.

Agreed, VR in DCS 2.8 or 2.9 is not a good experience with any gen2 headset if you're not rocking a RTX3080 or equivalent with a top 6+ core CPU and 32GB+ RAM (and preferentially better, even then it's not all rosy).

With that said, and instead of geting in debt by upgrading a PC (or to just quit the idea of VR alone), maybe try DCS 2.56 (check my sig), not the newest DCS versions.
Albeit unable to run the newest modules or terrains, with it you're looking at something like 2/3 of the hardware impact when compared (far better performance, especially in VR!).
Even more so with older systems, it can be the difference between having a super nice fulfilling experience, or having a very uncomfortable and disapointing one...

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

^^^^^ this.
It gives you a headset with a display port so you don't have to "fight" the setup over airlink (wifi) or cable (USB).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I recommend checking out BigScreen Beyond, which is shipping to pre-orderers. That device has many attractive features, but also some disadvantages with regards to DCS; and I want to see a user performance review with DCS. Advantages include its comparatively tiny form factor, custom face gasket, tracking accuracy and latency, great mic, high native resolution and pancake lenses. Disadvantages include total cost (requires base stations for tracking), add-on audio, no eye tracking (or foviated rendering), some reported glare issues and delivery delay of few months for new orders. FOV is pretty good and It is a SteamVR device. You can find some reviews on YouTube.