Major visual and performance bugs in DCS 2.9

I Updated DCS to DCS 2.9 from 2.8 and have had a myraid of problems, I will list them below.

1. Buildings flickering between their normal colour and a black or dark purple colour, particularly in built up areas, buildings even flicker on the mission planning map.

2. Fixed objects like buildings and cranes popping up randomly in random places for a second when flying near areas with buildings like cities, town and airports/airbases.

3. Can only load a flight/mission with no clouds present, if i add clouds to the mission it will 9 times out of 10 get stuck in the loading phase or if it loads it will crash after several minutes.

4. Choppy frame rates.

I am running on older hardware (A GTX 680, 16 gig RAM & 3.8ghz intel processor) but i had no issues of this kind at all with 2.8 and could play with no issues on medium settings, i have tried putting all my settings on low in 2.9 and the issues i listed above still persist. I only play singleplayer too, i never play online.

A few times after crashing DCS automatically sent out a crash report to Eagle Dynamics so im just wondering if the root of these problems has been identified and fixed yet? as it seems that im not the only one and others with much betters systems than I are having problems too.

I Updated DCS to DCS 2.9 from 2.8 and have had a myraid of problems, I will list them below.
1. Buildings flickering between their normal colour and a black or dark purple colour, particularly in built up areas, buildings even flicker on the mission planning map.
2. Fixed objects like buildings and cranes popping up randomly in random places for a second when flying near areas with buildings like cities, town and airports/airbases.
3. Can only load a flight/mission with no clouds present, if i add clouds to the mission it will 9 times out of 10 get stuck in the loading phase or if it loads it will crash after several minutes.
4. Choppy frame rates.
I am running on older hardware (A GTX 680, 16 gig RAM & 3.8ghz intel processor) but i had no issues of this kind at all with 2.8 and could play with no issues on medium settings, i have tried putting all my settings on low in 2.9 and the issues i listed above still persist. I only play singleplayer too, i never play online.
A few times after crashing DCS automatically sent out a crash report to Eagle Dynamics so im just wondering if the root of these problems has been identified and fixed yet? as it seems that im not the only one and others with much betters systems than I are having problems too.

I had a GTX Titan, (780), and DCS would crash whenever I started a mission while compiling shaders. I could see this in realtime, because I use a live log monitor tool to monitor the DCS.log
I'm afraid you need to revert back to 2.8 or get a newer GPU, or wait for a fix. I was lucky enough to score a second hand RTX 2080Ti for a fair price, and that solved it for me.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

I realize that updating your system isn't always a viable answer for people, but with that system if you want to continue playing new versions of DCS that's where your reality is.  With that graphics card and only 16 GB RAM it's only a matter of time before improvements/additions to DCS will push it beyond your system (if it's not already there).

• Like 1

Probably not what you'd like to hear, and it may even sound like I'm selling something (as I sound like a broken record recommending it in the forums) but.......

With that hardware, seeing that you don't do Multiplayer, and in case that you don't care much about newest modules (aircraft or maps) released after April of 2021, then I strongly recommend going for DCS 2.5.6:  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319459/

It may surprise you how much better DCS can run (compared to the newest version), and how much you're actually not missing by reverting to a two year older version.

The guys at ED are a good bunch and work hard, and I know they're passionate about DCS (more than we are, for sure) but, in all honesty, I think there comes a point when  enough is enough and, for quite sometime now (since 2.7), the demanding HW requirements and constant niggles are off-putting, to a point where I feel "it used to be better".
Few months ago I tried DCS 2.5.6 (again) just for a quick experiment with my VR heaset, and did try 2.9 OB recently giving it all the chances. I ended up deleting 2.9 OB. 
 :bye_2:

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I had a GTX Titan, (780), and DCS would crash whenever I started a mission while compiling shaders. I could see this in realtime, because I use a live log monitor tool to monitor the DCS.log
I'm afraid you need to revert back to 2.8 or get a newer GPU, or wait for a fix. I was lucky enough to score a second hand RTX 2080Ti for a fair price, and that solved it for me. emoji2373.png

I have an RTX 2080 TI and I the stuttering problem introduced from patch 2.9. If I fly an instant action mission like the Sinai map and takeoff and turn arround and fly down the runway passing over AI aircraft the sim pauses almost a full second making DCS unflyable. I'm not sure any hardware upgrade is going to fix this. What I do know is a lot of people are talking about the stuttering problem except ED. It would have been nice to hear that they were working on it. Sometimes a little hope can go a long way.

Edited by Checkmate

I have an RTX 2080 TI and I the stuttering problem introduced from patch 2.9. If I fly an instant action mission like the Sinai map and takeoff and turn arround and fly down the runway passing over AI aircraft the sim pauses almost a full second making DCS unflyable. I'm not sure any hardware upgrade is going to fix this. What I do know is a lot of people are talking about the stuttering problem except ED. It would have been nice to hear that they were working on it. Sometimes a little hope can go a long way.
I do agree that your problem won't be fixed with an upgrade, while this thread is about DCS crashing, not stuttering. My computer is from 2013, well, except the GPU now. I have now basically maxed out every setting. Even set shadows to ultra. I have no stuttering at all and double the FPS I had. The Marianas are now playable for me, and I can finally play Paradise Lost which I bought years ago. Like I wrote, when 2.9 landed I could start DCS without any errors except some shader errors, but starting any mission would crash with a shader compiler error. That's now gone even when DCS should support my GPU. OP even has an older and "lesser" GPU. I just connect the dots. They aren't even "supported" with new NVIDIA drivers anymore, so I expected this at some point. That's just the way it is with hardware and computers.

4 hours ago, rob10 said:

I realize that updating your system isn't always a viable answer for people, but with that system if you want to continue playing new versions of DCS that's where your reality is.  With that graphics card and only 16 GB RAM it's only a matter of time before improvements/additions to DCS will push it beyond your system (if it's not already there).

As long as ive been playing DCS the continuing developement of the sim has only reduced my frame rates (was getting up to 140 fps up to to 1.5 and now get between 30-60 fps as of DCS 2.8 with generally medium settings with somethings set higher which is ok for me) and hasnt caused problems of this sort, there is also the fact that others with much more modern and more powerful systems have been having issues too. im not 100% convinced that upgrading my hardware will fix the issue since these bugs still occur when i set everything to low in graphics and am putting a far lower demand on my system.

5 minutes ago, ArmchairMaverick said:

was getting up to 140 fps up to to 1.5

dcs 1.5 dates from 8 years ago, if you are still using the same hardware then of course you won’t get the same performance with the current version. PCs don't last for ever, you really need to replace the PC at least every 5 years.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 hours ago, LucShep said:

Probably not what you'd like to hear, and it may even sound like I'm selling something (as I sound like a broken record recommending it in the forums) but.......

With that hardware, seeing that you don't do Multiplayer, and in case that you don't care much about newest modules (aircraft or maps) released after April of 2021, then I strongly recommend going for DCS 2.5.6:  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319459/

It may surprise you how much better DCS can run (compared to the newest version), and how much you're actually not missing by reverting to a two year older version.

The guys at ED are a good bunch and work hard, and I know they're passionate about DCS (more than we are, for sure) but, in all honesty, I think there comes a point when  enough is enough and, for quite sometime now (since 2.7), the demanding HW requirements and constant niggles are off-putting, to a point where I feel "it used to be better".
Few months ago I tried DCS 2.5.6 (again) just for a quick experiment with my VR heaset, and did try 2.9 OB recently giving it all the chances. I ended up deleting 2.9 OB. 
 :bye_2:

Even though i can play 2.8 with few issues il give 2.5.6 a whirl and see what its like. il use the DCS GUI Utility to downgrade the 2.8 ive since reverted to so i dont have to download over 80 gigs.

10 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

dcs 1.5 dates from 8 years ago, if you are still using the same hardware then of course you won’t get the same performance with the current version. PCs don't last for ever, you really need to replace the PC at least every 5 years.

Im happy with anything with over 30 fps which is the lower end of what i get playing the latest versions DCS on Medium settings, i typically get 40-50 fps in the hornet and over 60 fps if using older modules like the F-5.

As the game has improved graphically all ive had to do is lower my graphics settings. The change from 2.8 to 2.9 is not the most drastic, the newer build mainly added newer anti aliasing options for newer cards and other options to tweak the graphics, the old anti aliasing option is still available so im using that as my card doesnt support the newer ones. There has not been a total retexture of DCS world and all the planes and units which would really put my card into retirement most likely. when i have been able to load up and fly DCS 2.9 it looks and behaves much the same as DCS 2.8 except with the weird flickering and buildings popping up and out of existence randomly. other people with way newer and better systems have been having similar problems too so im inclinded to think that DCS 2.9 is somewhat buggy. 

Windows 10
Right. Was trying to think of any reason why you came longer than me starting a mission. You have slightly faster CPU, but half the RAM. In any case, I made a thread couple of weeks back, and at least one other user have reported the exact same issue as me. Do you get "GPU removed" in your DCS.log?

12 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

Does it make sense to try updating to Windows11?

Not for me, I tried the update to W11 twice, and both times ended up returning to Windows 10 ... too much trouble for zero gains.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Same here, had some annoying issues after the upgrade, like sometimes inputs would freeze briefly (in Windows and in games), some small visible display lag in VR when turning my head quickly.
This made me revert to Windows 10 just like Rudel_chw did. Honestly, i never had a Windows upgrade for whatever version work really really well, always had to re-install the new version from scratch to overcome upgrade problems. Didn't do that yet for Win 11 because i don't see any real benefit in going to Win 11 right now although i liked some of the new stuff.

Also  created a small 1 vs 1 mission in DCS under Win 10 just before upgrading to Win 11. After upgrading to Win 11 the AI Su-27 would fly itself into the ground 70% of the time. Back in Win 10 it didn't do that once.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Same here, had some annoying issues after the upgrade, sometimes inputs would freeze briefly (in Windows and in games), some small visible display lag in VR when turning my quickly.
This made me revert to Windows 10 just like Rudel_chw did. Honestly, i never had a Windows upgrade for whatever version work really really well, always had to re-install the new version from scratch to overcome upgrade problems. Didn't do that yet for Win 11 because i don't see any real benefit in going to Win 11 right now although i liked some of the new stuff.
Exactly my opinion of it too. If I get a new computer, I'd probably go W11 to be honest. But not now.

Even after returning to Win10 Pro some things still act up.
I don't have a sleep option anymore in the power settings and i used to have 3 icons on my desktop from which i could directly reboot, shutdown or set the PC to sleep.
Reboot and shutdown still work, sleep executes but does nothing anymore.
Found quite a few things to get that back to work including enabling it through Group Policy Editor and or an registry edit. None of these bring back the sleep option which i had perfectly working before the upgrade to Win 11 Pro.

PS: We are hijacking this topic... sorry about that @ArmchairMaverick...😇

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!