My short trip to IWM Duxford - lots o' large pics

Acedy

I have been on a short holiday trip to London with my GF, and we (well I actually... ) spontaneously decided to visit the Imperial War Museum at Duxford Airfield (that also hosts The Fighter Collection TFC). We departed on thursday evening from Stansted, which is not that far from Duxford, so this lent itself quite nicely for a last day's excursion. I have taken some pictures and thought I would post them here. Unfortunately some are not of the best quality, and we didn't have much time on the site, so we couldn't even visit all Hangars, plus the cam's battery died pretty quickly, so the pics cover only a small part of the aircraft on display in Duxford. However, they give you an impression of how great that museum is, so if you visit London or Cambridge one day make sure that it is on your schedule.

How we got to the airfield is also quite a funny story. We asked at a visitors center if there was an easy way to get to Duxford from London, and were told that we could take the train to Cambridge and then a bus to the museum. Fine. Thursday morning we got up at 7, had a nice breakfast, checked out of the hotel at nine and took the underground to Liverpool station. Now because of the morning traffic this actually took 45 mins, the train was crowded and we didn't have seats, so by the time we arrived at the station my shirt was already drenched... Anyway, up to the ticket counter, where we talked to a very nice and humourous Brit. He told us that we could drive all the way to Cambridge, however we could also depart at Whittlesford, which according to him is "not the biggest place in the world", but which is "only about a mile from the museum, and a short walk will do you no harm". You guess it, pure British understatement, but we didn't think much about it, since we hoped that we could actually save some time (the bus from Cambridge to Duxford takes about 45 mins + the two train stations from Whittlesford to Cambridge + waiting for the Bus)... Great, so we went on the train, had a nice ride though the English countryside, until we got off in Whittlesford. I had expected some kind of sign leading the way to the museum, well, there wasn't any, so I asked the man at the station's ticket office for the way. He explained it more or less detailed and finished with the remark that "we would be better off to take a cab, since it was only a mile but we would have to walk along a very busy motorway". I thought "cab my arse", the whole trip already costs us a fortune, "and a short walk will do us no harm", so I thanked him and said that we will take a look... Off we go, just to go astray pretty soon, so we had to ask another guy, who was sleeping in his little office at the entrance of some kind of automobile company. He told us to go back, then left, pass the first roundabout, then the second, and then on the left side we would see the airfield. Sounds easy, so we continued our walk. Keep in mind that we had all of our baggae with us (cases + bagpacks), the sun was shining and it was quite a warm spring day (I estimate ~20°C). We first wanted to drive to Stansted and leave our baggage there before going to Duxford, but this would have cost us even more time, so we took it with us in the hope that the museum would have a cloakroom (which it hadn't, but we could leave our baggage in the first aid room). I don't know if it was really "only a mile" or not, but you can believe me that it was a very, very loooong mile... And indeed we had to walk on the grass strip along the motorway for some time, the people passing us in their cars looked at us as if we were some kind of crazy aliens. I felt like being lead actor in a cheap Hollywood B-movie, you know, "Stranded on Route 66" or something, while my GF kept on cursing me. In any case, after about 3/4 hrs we finally arrived at our destination, exhausted and covered with dust (the sidewalk wasn't actually "trolley-friendly"). "A little walking will do you no harm", heh, I thought I had just passed my first day in bootcamp. However, Duxford itself compensated for everything, even though we had little time, it is truly an amazing site for anybody who is interested in aviation. (Btw, on our way back to Cambridge the bus went right through Whittlesford... D'oh)

So here are the pics:

The flightline

BILD2510.jpg

BILD2573.jpg

The conservation hangar

BILD2499.jpg

F-15

BILD2500.jpg

Mi-24. Note the German army marks, the Hind had been employed by the NVA, and after the reunification it was adopted by the Germany army.

BILD2501.jpg

BILD2502.jpg

BILD2503.jpg

BILD2504.jpg

BILD2506.jpg

Fieseler Storch

BILD2507.jpg

Ju-52

BILD2508.jpg

The American Air museum

BILD2512.jpg

BILD2513.jpg

B-52 pit

BILD2515.jpg

SR-71

BILD2519.jpg

B-29

BILD2520.jpg

BILD2558.jpg

B-17 (and my GF trying to look interested ;) )

BILD2521.jpg

BILD2522.jpg

Edited by Acedy
  • Like 3

Great pictures:thumbup:! I´ll go there on the "Flying legends Airshow". Together with friends we´ll make a motorbike trip. Done it already 2 years ago. Somebody else coming along?

Cheers, Trigger

WIN10-Pro., ASUS ROG Z390-E, INTEL Core i7-970K, RTX 2080Ti, 64GB RAM, ACER Predator XB271HU 2560 x 1440 144Hz, DCS Open Beta: SSD970 EVO Plus 1TB, DCS Stable: SSD 870 EVO 1TB

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (U2nxt) / Foxy, Simpeds , TrackIR 5