AGM 45A Shrike Wont track for me but does for AI and other players

Moosemermaid

I am having an issue with the shrike when using the A-4E and the F-4C mods. I've tried a few different radars including the SA6, SA2, SA11, Gun Dish and Fire Can and I've tried both a custom mission and tried using them in MP servers. When I fire them, weather it be with a good tone or just toward an active radar, they don't track at all. They come off the rain and just fly in a mild downward arc into the ground. I loaded in an AI F4 with a shrike and it fires and tracks too a Fire Can just fine. I also haven't seen anyone post about this as far as all the people that use the weapon with the Skyhawk on ECW so I think this is somehow isolated to me. I know the hit rate is poor but that isn't what is happening. There is just no attempt to track at all. I'm just looking for some advice on weather I am just dumb and doing something wrong or where I should look too attempt a fix.

Thank you for any help you all might have with this. 

Edited by Moosemermaid

I'm seeing this same issue. Here are two track files. One with the AGM-45A and one with the AGM-45B. Flew the A-4E against an SA-2 site with no launcher. Did an earlier check and presence of the launcher did not seem to matter. Hope this helps! The track file shows a series of launches within 9nm, down to almost 2nm.

A-4E_ShrikeA_test_9nm.trk A-4E_Shrike_test_9nm.trk

Edited by WTFCSon
Added info

• ED Team

Hi, 

I will mention it to the team, but we can not test with user mods. 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY

Shrikes seem to have lost ability to lock onto radar-source after launch. Is that Intentional? Up to 2.8 they worked like a charm, since 2.9 no-joy anymore.

If it is intentional a little help what needs to be done (if the seeker works different now, other launch-parameters are required etc.) Would be great.

• Like 2

Alrighty guys, just made some tests and spent some time coding a custom shrike. Turns out, it all depends (mostly)on the seeker FOV since I could get a custom Shrike to work with the rest of the variables in place.

Somehow 6° in DCS 2.9 became either less than in DCS 2.8. or the seeker is pre-slewed in a weird position and can't track the radar source, since there is no way to set the seeker-head of an antiradiation missile through the avSimpleWeaponSystem (or none I know of at least).
Shrikes do work when paired with SU-25T avionics, since the seeker is then (I guess) directed at the radar source and won't loose it during launch.

I'm already pretty excited how the F-4E and the new "Shrikes" can or can't be used with the A-4 and the F-4C.

Cheers,

PJ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the code for the mods, they essentially operate on guesswork.
The script just checks to see if a search radar is within a pre-defined azimuth and elevation range of the nose then makes a sound. There is no link to the missile itself.
This is not a "bug" at all, it's just hitting the limit of what is possible with mods.

The thing is, the AGM-45A and B will track radar-emission when the sensor gets slewed directly onto the source. With SU-25T avionics and phantasmagoria no Problem (SA-2 track and search-radar). It tracks perfectly.

I think the seeker might be pre-slewed in a weird way and if I get it right, the Shrike needs a lock before launch otherwise it will be inactive (might be wrong here, since there is only pretty scarse comments available).

And yes, A4 and F4 calculate wether the shrike SHOULD see the emitter. It is calculating +/-6 Deg to the pre-set axis of e.g. the plane. But if the seeker is e.g. looking up, that workaround gets messed up...

There is no other way right now, since the function-names and parameters which would "allow" talking to the missile are only available (to my knowledge) to ED-empoyes or certified 3rd-party devs. (Which is a bit sad, since soo much more would be possible modding-wise).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

simple test with different SAMs shows that seeker LOS is not aligned with aircraft, lower boundary of seeker cone is at least 40 MOA above reticle center, you need to aim lower than target to achieve a missile lock. I've made a grid of targets with spacing of 700-500 meters and aiming at the bottom center target from range ~8-9 km, missiles hit targets far above.

agm-45test.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:14 AM, PeeJott17 said:

The thing is, the AGM-45A and B will track radar-emission when the sensor gets slewed directly onto the source. With SU-25T avionics and phantasmagoria no Problem (SA-2 track and search-radar). It tracks perfectly.

I think the seeker might be pre-slewed in a weird way and if I get it right, the Shrike needs a lock before launch otherwise it will be inactive (might be wrong here, since there is only pretty scarse comments available).

And yes, A4 and F4 calculate wether the shrike SHOULD see the emitter. It is calculating +/-6 Deg to the pre-set axis of e.g. the plane. But if the seeker is e.g. looking up, that workaround gets messed up...

There is no other way right now, since the function-names and parameters which would "allow" talking to the missile are only available (to my knowledge) to ED-empoyes or certified 3rd-party devs. (Which is a bit sad, since soo much more would be possible modding-wise).

AGM-45 funtionality has no release yet, and all weapons funtionality, has on the ED side