MIg-15 Flies like it has hydraulically boosted control surfaces, but doesn't

Alphazulu

I have always taken issue with the fact the Mig-15bis did not have hydraulically boosted controllers yet it flies like it does in DCS. The F-86 always had this a a big advantage over the Mig-15 and the F-86's hydraulically boosted controls can be shot out and then the plane flies like garbage. This has always been ignored in the Mig-15. Yet, in DCS you can go fly the Mig-19 and you can turn off the hydraulically boosted controllers and the plane becomes near impossible to control over 420 knots, exactly as the exploitation flights done on the Mig-15 and Mig-17 proved. So if you turn off the hydraulically boosted controls in the Mig-19 at 450 knots and you can't control it (as expected) how does the Mig-15 go 600 knots with no effect at all on the controls, it should not even be able to fly 500 knots?

In the Mig-19 with the hydraulically boosted controls off you can move your flight stick to full deflection to one side and the flight stick in the game will barely move and then only slowly move to full deflection just like a real plane would. This was a big flaw of the Mig-15 and Mig-17 and yet you guys choose to ignore it until a Mig comes along that you can override it with a switch, then it's modeled. If you ever want your Mig-15 and coming Mig-17 to reflect the real aircraft you need to address this, especially since we know it is already modeled in DCS.

P.S.

This is for devs, I have no interest in any other players opinions intended to defend their favorite plane from the truth and will not waste my time responding to any such comments.

Aerodynamic effects are most certainly modeled for this Mig. Are you sure you are not mistaking kph with knots on the speed gauge? 

The max speed according to the manual is 1060 kph TAS (around 570 kts) or M0. 91 at high altitudes. 

Also, for a bug report it is a good idea to supply a short track demonstrating the issue. 

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

^ And one can test its operation by turning it on and off using lever on the right side of throttle quadrant.

P.S. - @Alphazulu, feel free to "waste your time" on RTFM of the plane you intend to fly in or against. Hint - with booster disabled, the -15's roll rate, already rather unimpressive to begin with (compared to F-86), becomes pretty abysmal. Moreover, full stick roll input is possible only up to about 350'ish kph, anything faster limits the range. Closer to VNE you almost can't move it at all.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not to rip off what remains of this guys wings, but I was flying the MiG-15 yesterday, and did what every MiG-15 pilot will tell you not to do: put it in a dive. Well...Mach number increased to 0.95 and I was toast. Those flight controls weren't doing anything, just like they warn about.

It is modelled...you just have to fly it wrong to find out.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."