Running DCS occasionaly "forcing no VR" is it possible?

Muas

I have two shortcuts to run DCS through my single OpenBeta install:

Shortcut (1) targeting "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

which I run most of the time in multi-thread for VR; this fires WXR automaticaly and I'm ready to fly.

Shortcut (2) targeting "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

which I run when there is a new DCS update, but

Sometimes I just wish to setup some mission in the ME so I'd like to run DCS on my screen, no VR, but still, this option is firing WXR too, probably because I have VR "ON" in the ingame settings (I even wonder why I need the --force_enable_VR switch, because WXR starts anyway).

So my question is: is there a way to setup some shortcut to run DCS with VR "OFF" so it doesn't start WXR automaticaly (eventhough VR is ON within the ingame settings)?

Thanks.

well you could use DCS Update utility.. I am pretty sure there is some command line you could use for the shortcut but not sure what it is..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I forgot to mention that starting using my shortcut (2) and closing WXR right after doesn't work because it closes DCS altogether... so what I'm trying to avoid is launching DCS just to switch VR ON and OFF ingame...

13 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

well you could use DCS Update utility.. I am pretty sure there is some command line you could use for the shortcut but not sure what it is..

Using the update utility... not really sure how to do that... and yes, it is that command line for a shortcut I was hoping for...

3 hours ago, Muas said:

I have two shortcuts to run DCS through my single OpenBeta install:

Shortcut (1) targeting "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

which I run most of the time in multi-thread for VR; this fires WXR automaticaly and I'm ready to fly.

Shortcut (2) targeting "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

which I run when there is a new DCS update, but

Sometimes I just wish to setup some mission in the ME so I'd like to run DCS on my screen, no VR, but still, this option is firing WXR too, probably because I have VR "ON" in the ingame settings (I even wonder why I need the --force_enable_VR switch, because WXR starts anyway).

So my question is: is there a way to setup some shortcut to run DCS with VR "OFF" so it doesn't start WXR automaticaly (eventhough VR is ON within the ingame settings)?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a way. This is how I run DCS; I use my "force_enable_VR" shortcut when I'm flying VR, and I use my regular shortcut when I'm not. You need to un-check the "VR headset enable" selection in the DCS options. The "force_enable_VR" shortcut should still force the VR startup, while the regular shortcut will not.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Yes, there is a way. This is how I run DCS; I use my "force_enable_VR" shortcut when I'm flying VR, and I use my regular shortcut when I'm not. You need to un-check the "VR headset enable" selection in the DCS options. The "force_enable_VR" shortcut should still force the VR startup, while the regular shortcut will not.

But to start DCS anytime just to un-check the "VR headset enable" selection in the DCS ingame settings, that's what I was starting to avoid...

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I will try this utility though, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Muas said:

But to start DCS anytime just to un-check the "VR headset enable" selection in the DCS ingame settings, that's what I was starting to avoid...

I use it all the time to toggle between VR and non VR modes, the default can be set, and then there are three buttons, fire up in what ever default mode you have, fire up in VR or fire up in pancake ... it works really well and you can adjust your settings in it as well should you wish to 

also there is the --force_disable_VR command line as well which might serve your needs but i use skate's launcher as it solvea bunch of problems

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, Muas said:

You’re missing the point, I think: You don’t need the box checked to run DCS in VR with the “force_enable_VR” shortcut. Uncheck the box, leave it unchecked, and use the “force_enable_VR” shortcut when you play VR, and the non-force enable shortcut otherwise. That is the point of the “force_enable_VR” shortcut.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muas said:

It's version 2 currently which is still under development and still contains a few bugs mostly for the extra options you can use but the main part of the utility is working just fine.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

3 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

You’re missing the point, I think: You don’t need the box checked to run DCS in VR with the “force_enable_VR” shortcut. Uncheck the box, leave it unchecked, and use the “force_enable_VR” shortcut when you play VR, and the non-force enable shortcut otherwise. That is the point of the “force_enable_VR” shortcut.

Simple. Now the "--force_enable_VR" makes sense: to be used when VR is unchecked within the game settings. That's just what I was looking for, one shortcut for VR another for 2D. Yes, I was missing the point. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

It's version 2 currently which is still under development and still contains a few bugs mostly for the extra options you can use but the main part of the utility is working just fine.

I might try this anyway to see what else it brings. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Muas said:

Simple. Now the "--force_enable_VR" makes sense: to be used when VR is unchecked within the game settings. That's just what I was looking for, one shortcut for VR another for 2D. Yes, I was missing the point. Thanks.

I might try this anyway to see what else it brings. Thank you.

I hope it helps and works! Good luck. I agree, having to start up and uncheck the VR box is a pain.

• Like 1

--force_enable/disable_VR
Overrides the [VR][Enabled]=True/False Setting in your options

Easiest way is to make 2 shortcuts to DCS.exe, VR Checked/Unchecked wont matter, have one shortcut --force_enable_VR (plus any other VR Arguments for API), name it DCS World VR, have the second shortcut --force_disable_VR, name it DCS World NonVR.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 12/1/2023 at 10:13 PM, SkateZilla said:

--force_enable/disable_VR
Overrides the [VR][Enabled]=True/False Setting in your options

Easiest way is to make 2 shortcuts to DCS.exe,VR Checked/Unchecked wont matter, have one shortcut --force_enable_VR (plus any other VR Arguments for API), name it DCS World VR, have the second shortcut --force_disable_VR, name it DCS World NonVR.

I have my 2D shortcut pointing to DCS_updater.exe, so to check for updates before running DCS.exe, and the --force_disable_VR option is not recognized by the updater executable.

I believe it might work with DCS.exe, anyway with VR unchecked ingame it works perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Muas said:

I have my 2D shortcut pointing to DCS_updater.exe, so to check for updates before running DCS.exe, and the --force_disable_VR option is not recognized by the updater executable.

I believe it might work with DCS.exe, anyway with VR unchecked ingame it works perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

it wont work with the updater correct as it's a command arugment for the DCS EXE, which is why my instructions say DCS.exe,

you can change the autoupdate cfg, to add the --force_xxxxx_vr to the end of the Run \Bin\DCS.exe Line. Inside the quotes and it *should* work, but I havent tried it lately.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I use SkateZillas utility for this and it works great

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.