Autolevel autopilot mod available for the Mosquito

jmossr

Thank you - thank you - thank you!

We can now move into the navigator's seat and do useful things with the radios..

We had been asking for this for years, but ED seems not to be bothered about finishing half the essential features on the Mosquito.

Great work and a thousand thanks.

EDIT: The mod works perfectly for me. However, pressing keys when in VR is always a pain but this can be avoided if you have Voice Attack.

Here is my  Voice Attack profile that uses the verbal commands Autopilot set /hold - Level /Orbit /Off that selects the required mode and then resets the VHF radio to default channel 1. (You can modify all of this to suit your own preferences)

Mosquito Autopilot-Profile.vap

Now I need to find out how to set the default centered view in VR 90° left when I move into the Nav seat. I can get there eventually with several twists, turns and re-centering, but I would like it as a default option. Any ideas? Maybe there is a way to link VR to a snap view?

Edited by Terry Dactil
Voice Attack stuff added.
  • Like 1

It works perfectly!  I must be dreaming.  I can do everything now. Operate the radio!   Fly straight and narrow.  Go to the bathroom, go to the kitchen for a snack.  I can't thank you enough.  

Why couldn't the developers do this?

The mosquito is now the most powerful Warbird in DCS. It can now literally do anything!

Thank you    Thank you      Thank you     Thank you     

Thank you    

Edited by 4eyes
  • Like 3

I found a problem.  

If you lose and engine while flying the Mosquito while in auto pilot the "off switch" D  C  D  will not work. Nothing works.  You cannot disengage from the auto pilot.  All you can do is fly in a circle until you run out of fuel. 

Was the radio dead too at that moment? Detection of the autopilot "switches" is tied to the radio indicator lights. So  the radio needs to be powered and working for the autopilot commands to work.

Edited by jmossr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jmossr said:

Was the radio dead too at that moment? Detection of the autopilot "switches" is tied to the radio indicator lights. So  the radio needs to be powered and working for the autopilot commands to work.

Yes, the radio was working and had power. I could still talk to the flight/wingman.  It was the left engine that was shot out.  So, I am using the auto pilot for those long over the Channel Flights, then shut off when there's a chance of losing an engine to any enemy fire.  Which is still much more than I had before.  I love it!  

• Like 1

Good to see this, as mentioned it's been wanted for a long time so well done for doing it. Glad to see 4eyes chuffed with his favourite bird again.

I unpacked it and put it in Saved Games/DCSOpenBeta/. I didn't have a Scripts folder so created one and put it in there. It didn't work so I tried putting it in OvGME, enabled it and loaded OB again. Still no joy. I'm bound to be doing something wrong, I haven't used any mods for a bit. There's probably been a couple of updates since I checked any. Gutted, I've lost the old galleon mod. I liked having those dotted about for eye candy on little missions I've messed with for training. Have to feel for modders that work on their wonders. They must update with everything crossed every time.

• Like 1

@Terry Dactil Your voice attack profile is very nice addition. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Slippa said:

I unpacked it and put it in Saved Games/DCSOpenBeta/. I didn't have a Scripts folder so created one and put it in there.

It may be just a typo. On my pc the folder is 'Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 8:44 AM, 4eyes said:

I found a problem.  

If you lose and engine while flying the Mosquito while in auto pilot the "off switch" D  C  D  will not work. Nothing works.  You cannot disengage from the auto pilot.  All you can do is fly in a circle until you run out of fuel. 

Confirmed there is a problem here. Although in my case it is only when the right engine is feathered and shut down. Everything works OK when the left engine is feathered. Also everything goes back to normal when the right engine is unfeatheres and running again. Not fixed by restoring fuel cutoff, magnetos or radiator - the engine has to be running again.

On 12/6/2023 at 7:49 PM, Terry Dactil said:

Confirmed there is a problem here. Although in my case it is only when the right engine is feathered and shut down. Everything works OK when the left engine is feathered. Also everything goes back to normal when the right engine is unfeatheres and running again. Not fixed by restoring fuel cutoff, magnetos or radiator - the engine has to be running again.

This is valuable information. I can reproduce the problem this way.
Really weird - I'm looking into it.

^ Cuesta brothers I'd hazard a guess. Maybe they want to implement similar solution in their flyable mods.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
On 12/4/2023 at 1:36 AM, Terry Dactil said:

We had been asking for this for years, but ED seems not to be bothered about finishing half the essential features on the Mosquito

Hi, 

we are planning an auto pilot with the AI multicrew, but it will take time. The mossie is still in early access awaiting some more work from the team, as soon as we have news we will share it. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 12/8/2023 at 9:09 PM, jmossr said:

A new version, 1.3, is available that fixes the problem of the autopilot freezing when losing or shutting down an engine.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3330835/

I’m gonna have another look at this. 

Again, really good job for doing this. Nice to see something productive for the Mossie, along with the other vintages. They do get left behind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this fantastic mod!

My dream was (in VR) to be able to say to VoiceAttack: "Navigator" and then engage the autopilot and switch to the navigator position. And then back again saying "Pilot".

This is now working thanks to this mod. Only small downside is that it then might be switching the channel I'm monitoring and this cannot be changed back again from the navigator seat. To make this tool even better would be if there was some way to have it remember the original channel or maybe use some other custom keyboard combinations for activating the autopilot. Had a look in the script file, but it's beyond my competence for now! 😉

Anyway thanks for making the Mosquito much more playable again!

• Like 3

HW: Intel i5 13600K, 64Gb DDR5, RTX 4090, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS, TM TPR rudderpedals, Pico 4 VR+VirtualDesktop (VDXR), Win11
DCS: F-5, F-86, F-16, F-15E, FA-18, F-14, Harrier, Viggen, M-2000C, A-10C, AH-64, UH-1, Mi-8, Mi-24, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mig-21, P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Mosquito, Bf-109, Fw-190A, Fw-190D, Yak-52, C101, all maps & tech, SuperCarrier

On 12/11/2023 at 8:15 PM, Terry Dactil said:

Make sure you get version 1.4

1.3 fixed the feathered engine bug, but then only responded to mouse clicks and not keystroke. All of that has been fixed in 1.4.  :thumbup:

Good shout, will do, cheers Tel

On 12/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, jmossr said:

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm glad I could contribute a little to this great community.

Thank you, again.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too :yay:

• Like 1