Random System Failures Bug

Miccara
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I have a multi-player mission I've been using on my server for more than a year. I recently added an additional task for the Mi8s. It is just another destination for the pilot to complete a task. The problem is it seems, random failures have been triggered (to a high degree of failures too), and the Mi8s can never complete the mission due to the failures (80-mile trip). In every attempt to complete the run, I have Main Fuel Tank Failures, Chip Detector, Left engine failures, Rotor Failure, and co-pilot death (why Co-Pilot death is included in random failures I'll never know!). I've changed nothing in the core mission itself and have not, and have never, checked off "Random Failures" in the menu. I submitted a ticket to DCS but they have dropped the issue without resolution. I simply can't understand why this is happening. Can someone tell me where (file), random failures are activated in the operating system file? Maybe I can remove it from there.

All help is appreciated.

Hi. Maybe they are in your mission file. Can you attach it, please?

If it's not there, it's in your Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua file, "accidental_failures":

["miscellaneous"] = {
		["Coordinate_Display"] = "Lat Long",
		["Datum"] = 1,
		["F2_view_effects"] = 1,
		["TrackIR_external_views"] = true,
		["accidental_failures"] = false,

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

19 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi. Maybe they are in your mission file. Can you attach it, please?

If it's not there, it's in your Saved Games/DCS.../Config/options.lua file, "accidental_failures":

["miscellaneous"] = {
		["Coordinate_Display"] = "Lat Long",
		["Datum"] = 1,
		["F2_view_effects"] = 1,
		["TrackIR_external_views"] = true,
		["accidental_failures"] = false,

I've tried everthing I can think of. The Mi8 is experiencing multiple random failures. I've checked both options.lua files and they are set to false. If you load the mission, take the Mi8 marked Rescue Chopper and start flying 108 degrees for 80 miles. I've never made it there. Fails should start within the first 10-15 minutes of flight. Keep in mind it's a work in progress mission 😉

The problem is driving me bat<profanity> crazy... 🙂

Homs vA11-.miz

17 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks. I'm seeing several active failure probabilities in your .miz file. I'm not sure how they got there in the first place.

Try this fix.

Homs vA11-fix.miz 6.1 MB · 0 downloads

Brilliant, Flappie! Thank you. This was very frustrating but you solved the issue. Can you provide me with any details as to what/where the issue was so that I may solve it in the future?

5 minutes ago, Miccara said:

Brilliant, Flappie! Thank you. This was very frustrating but you solved the issue. Can you provide me with any details as to what/where the issue was so that I may solve it in the future?

Sometimes, it can be that the mission/DCS just corrupts itself. I know of several occasions where random failures or birds have been enabled by the game itself without any player input.

The only way to fix it is to open the .miz file (you can open it with winrar, 7zip or anything similar) and open the mission.lua or options.lua. In the first one at the bottom of the file is where the random failures are, and in the second file is where you can find the birds option.

• Solution

If that happens to you again, here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Open the .miz file using 7zip, WinRAR, Winzip... as @razo+r explained.

2. Extract the file called "mission" then edit it with Notepad.

3. Locate the section called "failures" and empty it. It should look like this after your edit:

["failures"] = 
    {
    }, -- end of ["failures"]

4. Save your modifications.

5. Put the modified "mission" file into the .miz file, accept overwriting.

6. Close the .miz file, then fly the mission.

If you see this issue again, I'd be really interested to know how it happens. Don't hesitate to ping me.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

If that happens to you again, here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Open the .miz file using 7zip, WinRAR, Winzip... as @razo+r explained.

2. Extract the file called "mission" then edit it with Notepad.

3. Locate the section called "failures" and empty it. It should look like this after your edit:

["failures"] = 
    {
    }, -- end of ["failures"]

4. Save your modifications.

5. Put the modified "mission" file into the .miz file, accept overwriting.

6. Close the .miz file, then fly the mission.

If you see this issue again, I'd be really interested to know how it happens. Don't hesitate to ping me.

I will let you know if it reappears in any of the missions. Thanks for the info!