FPS/ performance when landing at Nellis is horrible

Go to solution Solved by Reflected,

I am flying in VR and I have a powerful rig. I'm getting 80 fps in the air. 

However, when landing at Nellis after the missions, the performance is absolutely horrible. FPS tanks to single digits, and I can barely slam the plane down just due to this. I think it's probably due to the number of idle AI planes parked at the base.

Has anyone found a way to deal with this?

Would you consider reducing the parked clutter?

This issue is not completely unique to this campaign, but I have never experienced it this bad. I've resorted to just flying in straight approaches to not have to maneuver at 5 FPS, as it would be so lame to crash due to technical issues after completing these hard missions.

7 hours ago, Reflected said:

I have a mediocre rig and I have stable fps even at nellis. I’m pretty sure it’s not caused by the statics. Check out my 2.9 settings guide on my YT channel. 

I will check it out. I have most settings maxed out, because it works fine in almost all situations, except crowded airports.

2 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

I will check it out. I have most settings maxed out, because it works fine in almost all situations, except crowded airports.

Hi, I have a similar problem at Nellis. Not as bad as you described, but in the air I have solid 72Hz which at Nellis goes to the 35-50 range. This happens both at startup and landing. I don’t want to reduce any settings though just to stabilize FPS at startup 😬

I have not experienced it this significantly on other maps. 

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

3 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

Hi, I have a similar problem at Nellis. Not as bad as you described, but in the air I have solid 72Hz which at Nellis goes to the 35-50 range. This happens both at startup and landing. I don’t want to reduce any settings though just to stabilize FPS at startup 😬

I have not experienced it this significantly on other maps. 

Yeah, it is an airport problem. I've had 30 fps in other airports that are crowded, but Nellis is especially bad for this. Also, for some reason, it is much worse on landing than on takeoff.

Look guys, DCS optimization is really not in the mission maker’s hands. A heavier mission like campaigns will never run as good as a quick mission over a nearly empty map. But Zone 5 is not heavy at all. Also, when you get back to Nellis you also get close to a heavily populated Vegas. 

again, check oit my optimization video and if it doesn’t help, better knock on ED’s door. I also often have stutters when the game tries to load new textures and I’m not alone (see Jabbers’ video about it) it’s a multithread thing. ED definitely needs to fine tune their code. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reflected said:

Look guys, DCS optimization is really not in the mission maker’s hands. A heavier mission like campaigns will never run as good as a quick mission over a nearly empty map. But Zone 5 is not heavy at all. Also, when you get back to Nellis you also get close to a heavily populated Vegas. 

again, check oit my optimization video and if it doesn’t help, better knock on ED’s door. I also often have stutters when the game tries to load new textures and I’m not alone (see Jabbers’ video about it) it’s a multithread thing. ED definitely needs to fine tune their code. 

I totally understand and agree, it's a core DCS thing. and not your fault as a campaign maker. The reason I was asking here, is that for whatever reason, the issue for me is the most severe in this campaign, and I suspect it's because of the number of parked planes, which perhaps is up to you to control.

• Solution
10 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

I totally understand and agree, it's a core DCS thing. and not your fault as a campaign maker. The reason I was asking here, is that for whatever reason, the issue for me is the most severe in this campaign, and I suspect it's because of the number of parked planes, which perhaps is up to you to control.

Are you suggesting I should remove the few parked planes until ED comes up with a better solution to load textures than the one they implemented with the MT build ? 🙂 I'm sorry I won't. I can't always adapt missions to what's working and what's broken in the core game.

And again, the mission can be only blamed for performance issues if it has an unreasonable amount of units/ statics, but this is definitely not the case in Zone 5. And most of those are old, low poly statics too. Of course performance will be worse than over an empty map, but believe me, removing the statics is not the solution.

The proximity of Vegas is a way bigger FPS hit.

10 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

I don't think the parked planes are the reason for the fps loss at Nellis. But you could check that yourself:  load the mission in the editor, remove the parked planes and start the mission from the editor,

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I've lowered some graphics settings, and the FPS are still low, but it's in a playable state. I can land the plane more or less properly, so I will be able to deal with this, until hopefully ED comes up with a better technical solution for whatever is causing this.

• ED Team
43 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

I've lowered some graphics settings, and the FPS are still low, but it's in a playable state. I can land the plane more or less properly, so I will be able to deal with this, until hopefully ED comes up with a better technical solution for whatever is causing this.

please post a short as possible track replay example. 

your dcs log from the same session and your dxdiag, it should give us some clues or be able to give some suggestions for settings. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

46 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Also, can you post your system specs and a screenshot of your DCS settings?

Again, here are a few tips and hints that could help you:

Edited by Reflected

16 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

please post a short as possible track replay example. 

your dcs log from the same session and your dxdiag, it should give us some clues or be able to give some suggestions for settings. 

thanks

Can it be from the Speed and Angels campaign, or would you prefer me to try to reproduce it in a generic mission at Nellis?

• ED Team
1 hour ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Can it be from the Speed and Angels campaign, or would you prefer me to try to reproduce it in a generic mission at Nellis?

it would be interesting to see both examples. 

But we can start with your dcs log and dxdiag we may see some potential tweaks for settings or setup that may help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

But we can start with your dcs log and dxdiag we may see some potential tweaks for settings or setup that may help

Thanks. Here are the log and dxdiag files. The last events in the game are the problematic landing. 

I will produce a track shortly.

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Here's a short track of startup, takeoff, and landing at Nellis. FPS on the ground is 30-40. Dipped to 25-30 on takeoff, and around 30 on landing.

However, when I was just a bit away from the airport, before turning back in, I had 72 FPS, which is the target on my VR headset. So I can run the game at full desired fps away from airports.

With my current settings, this was still not that bad, the game is playable at 30 fps. But if you can help me make it run better, that would be great!

I'm also attaching a SS of my graphics settings. 

dcs gfx settings.jpg

nellis.trk

Sounds to me like it's a Vegas thing.  

When you turn your POV away from the city, does it get better?

If so, reduce your visibility range.

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

1 hour ago, Buzz313th said:

Sounds to me like it's a Vegas thing.  

When you turn your POV away from the city, does it get better?

If so, reduce your visibility range.

Yes. I will try that.

1 hour ago, Glide said:

Textures Medium, Terrain Textures Low, Visib Range Medium, Max FPS 36 (half your target), Terrain Shadows Off

OK, but these settings will significantly degrade my experience. I don't want to play at 36 FPS, the FPS being this low is the problem in itself.

15 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Here is a track from the campaign mission if you're interested. It has similar performance, just a bit worse. The FPS dipped to 21 on landing. 

nellis saa.trk

What VR HMD are you running and at what resolution?

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

11 minutes ago, Buzz313th said:

What VR HMD are you running and at what resolution?

Pimax Crystal at 1.0 scale, so it should be a bit more than 2880x2880 afaik.

PS, running it in PimaxXR environment to use quad views foveated rendering.

Edited by PawlaczGMD

1 hour ago, PawlaczGMD said:

OK, but these settings will significantly degrade my experience. I don't want to play at 36 FPS, the FPS being this low is the problem in itself.

Sure, but it depends on what you are after.  If you want smoothness, then those are good settings.  Bump up the Max FPS to 45 which is what I use with my G2.

3 minutes ago, Glide said:

Sure, but it depends on what you are after.  If you want smoothness, then those are good settings.  Bump up the Max FPS to 45 which is what I use with my G2.

Well, the thing is, that in 90% of situations I can maintain 60-70 fps. It's only some airports that give me this trouble. So I don't want to give up all this general performance to fix a really specific situation. Ideally, there would be some settings that are not that noticeable, and I would give them up. But cutting my FPS in half is not something I will do.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Please remove all unofficial mods 

RedK0d-Clickable-v1.1.5,A-4E-C

Some errors in your log 

Screenshot 2023-12-19 085115.png

Run a slow repair of DCS 

Tuning Tips

Consider using TAA instead of MSAA.
Turn off Depth of Field.
Disable civil traffic.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:52 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Please remove all unofficial mods 

RedK0d-Clickable-v1.1.5,A-4E-C

Some errors in your log 

Screenshot 2023-12-19 085115.png

Run a slow repair of DCS 

Tuning Tips

Consider using TAA instead of MSAA.
Turn off Depth of Field.
Disable civil traffic.

Thanks. Applying the tips makes it perform a bit better, but the TAA is causing a lot of ghosting. But I think DoF helped as well, and I don't really notice it. It is good enough for me with current settings, I just might choose to use TAA on the Nevada map, and MSAA everywhere else.