Realistic Landing Gear/Suspension Physics

obious

I thought I saw a while ago that the Hornet would be getting an update to its landing gear mech.

I was doing some field ops last night and I noticed that when I touched down (albeit pretty hard), the plane just stuck to the tarmac and didn't bounce around or move at all. As such, it makes landing someone trivial and trying to keep it on the runway a bit of a nonstarter (even more so with double ugly loadouts).

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Hornet is designed to "crash" land on the carrier so you're much less likely to get bounce than say a F-16 because it's designed to absorb the shock of a hard landing.  Having said that, I have bounced the Hornet on a runway landing before.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rob10 said:

Hornet is designed to "crash" land on the carrier so you're much less likely to get bounce than say a F-16 because it's designed to absorb the shock of a hard landing.  Having said that, I have bounced the Hornet on a runway landing before.

I understanding how a hornet is supposed to ‘crash’ into the deck of a carrier but there’s no ‘give’ at all in the current suspension physics. 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

• 2 months later...

+1.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team

Landing Gear changes were added to DCS 2.9.3.51704

The landing gear shock absorbers were adjusted to match documentation and reference videos. The F/A-18C landing gear articulation is a complex and dynamic process that is accurately modeled for carrier recoveries and touch-and-go. This change also provides improved landing control in a crosswind and addresses excessive G loads when landing. Whilst greatly improved, we will continue to tune this mechanic to allow even more accurate nosewheel touch-and-go behavior to allow lower airspeed rotation.

In addition to the landing gear mechanisms, the tires have also been adjusted to provide more authentic friction forces that will be apparent in crosswind takeoff and landings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2