The S8-OM illumination rockets are not working

_Defi
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

41 minutes ago, _Defi said:

The rockets are launchable but there is no illumination. 

They do if you employ them correctly. Pitch up to 10 or 15 degrees, fire and after 5km or so they should open their parachute at a few hundred meters above the ground and light up the stuff below. 

Edited by razo+r

49 minutes ago, razo+r said:

They do if you employ them correctly. Pitch up to 10 or 15 degrees, fire and after 5km or so they should open their parachute at a few hundred meters above the ground and light up the stuff below. 

@Flappie oh thanks. Does it have to be helicopter pitch angle 10-15Deg or the rocket pitch when launched? It seems the rocket drops a few degrees when launched. 
Also does it need to be exactly within 10-15Deg?  or is >10Deg enough?   ie.      10 < Angle of Rocket Launch < 15. or Angle >10 ?

• Solution
24 minutes ago, _Defi said:

@Flappie oh thanks. Does it have to be helicopter pitch angle 10-15Deg or the rocket pitch when launched? It seems the rocket drops a few degrees when launched. 
Also does it need to be exactly within 10-15Deg?  or is >10Deg enough?   ie.      10 < Angle of Rocket Launch < 15. or Angle >10 ?

It's the helicopters pitch.

It does not have to be exactly 10-15 degrees but it works good enough. Below and the flares will hit the ground before they burn out and above, and they will not be able to illuminate the area effectivly. This is for flat terrain.

From the manual:

image.png

56 minutes ago, razo+r said:

It does not have to be exactly 10-15 degrees but it works good enough. Below and the flares will hit the ground before they burn out and above, and they will not be able to illuminate the area effectivly. This is for flat terrain.

From the manual:

image.png

Yep I got it to work. Above 20Deg and it won't light up anything. Below and it wont either. 

It's quite tricky. 

Landing and taxing on the runway at pitch black is extremely difficult. The Landing Light doesn't light up in front enough either to see the runway from the cockpit.

How do you guys do this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:09 AM, razo+r said:

From the manual:

image.png

Note that this manual section is outdated, it’s 7.7 seconds note not 17. This means they release flare at 3.8-4.5 km depending on speed. I only need 10 degree pitch up if firing at low altitudes. Once I’m at 400-500m AGL, I can fire mostly level. The flare has to be about 300m or more above the ground when it ignites 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 8:06 AM, _Defi said:

Yep I got it to work. Above 20Deg and it won't light up anything. Below and it wont either. 

It's quite tricky. 

Landing and taxing on the runway at pitch black is extremely difficult. The Landing Light doesn't light up in front enough either to see the runway from the cockpit.

How do you guys do this?

The lighting system in DCS is quite peculiar. I don't think it looks right, especially at night. All lights in general look too weak and don't illuminate the surrounding area very well. I think they are working to implement raytracing, but for now, I would personally recommend using night vision goggles as much as possible instead of relying on illumination. You know you can change the HMD to NVG via the ground crew menu, right?

21 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

The lighting system in DCS is quite peculiar. I don't think it looks right, especially at night. All lights in general look too weak and don't illuminate the surrounding area very well. I think they are working to implement raytracing, but for now, I would personally recommend using night vision goggles as much as possible instead of relying on illumination. You know you can change the HMD to NVG via the ground crew menu, right?

Yes sure I  know. Thanks