Future DCS Launcher - Please don't make it mandatory

Vakari

+1.73! Pretty please make the launcher optional to use.

There are scientifistic proofs that mankind needs launchers as much as fish need bicycles, but more importantly (for me) I start DCS from a batch file. Not because I have nothing more interesting to do in my life, but because Smallflabby company "unlearnt" how to deal with USB devices and my old trusty Leo Bondar USB board needs to be reinitialized once Windoze has started (by means of "pnputil" command line tool). Then the batch file launches TrackIR software, Joystick Gremlin and StreamDeck software. One double click to deal with it all. It rocks!

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

There are scientifistic proofs that mankind needs launchers as much as fish need bicycles, but more importantly (for me) I start DCS from a batch file. Not because I have nothing more interesting to do in my life, but because Smallflabby company "unlearnt" how to deal with USB devices and my old trusty Leo Bondar USB board needs to be reinitialized once Windoze has started (by means of "pnputil" command line tool). Then the batch file launches TrackIR software, Joystick Gremlin and StreamDeck software. One double click to deal with it all. It rocks!

A well designed launcher will of course let you add custom programs and start them for you pre DCS. Pretty sure the exe won't go away. Might get even more arguments in the future.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

On 1/15/2024 at 8:04 AM, SharpeXB said:

Unofficial mods no doubt cause such headaches for the Devs I can’t see why they’d put a manager for them into the launcher. Maybe a modder could make a launcher mod 😆

Mods aren't a headache for ED, they are a potential headache for users. As they are not official ED or third-party projects people use them at their own risk. So if an update breaks a mod, oh well that's none of EDs concern it is up to the mod community to fix them. If you had actually paid attention to the ED forum BTW you will see there is a modding section

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/69-dcs-modding/

6 hours ago, scoobie said:

Why not make the launcher with a built-in option to start other programs? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Mods aren't a headache for ED, they are a potential headache for users. As they are not official ED or third-party projects people use them at their own risk. So if an update breaks a mod, oh well that's none of EDs concern it is up to the mod community to fix them. If you had actually paid attention to the ED forum BTW you will see there is a modding section

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/69-dcs-modding/

Why not make the launcher with a built-in option to start other programs? 

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why I would want a launcher.  I have yet to meet one that adds value; maybe eye candy, and they love to flash marketing crap for the developer, but otherwise just add yet another layer between me and where I want to go.  If they want to improve the eye candy give us the option to change the wallpaper that's built in to modules, because quite honestly the vast majority of those are awful.

If they want to make some kind of utility to manage mods or setting or whatever fine, but if I want to play DCS I'll launch DCS.

Launch a launcher that launches DCS?  Why not launch a launcher that launches a launcher that gives you access to the launcher that...

9 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Mods aren't a headache for ED

They seem to be constantly having to ask for these to be removed when bug tracking. Some third party Devs complain about getting bombarded with bug reports only to uncover the problem being associated with mods. I would have to imagine ED’s experience is similar.

In any case it’s not ED’s responsibility to test these.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Because you might not, but people should really stop being selfish and maybe consider that there are people that do like to have one "thing" from which they can launch, update, repair and whatever they might add in?

You want to play, open DCS.exe. Want to update? Use updater.exe. Want to repair DCS, use another thing. Some people like having one interface with nice big buttons they can click to perform various actions. It's a convenience thing that a lot of people have gratification for when they deal with people who are less skilled around PCs.

• Like 2

Personally I can't stand launchers. I've never even been able to open the KSP2 launcher, so perhaps that launcher needs a launcher!

Therefore I'm a bit surprised to see some pro-launcher comments, and admittedly, as the sort of user who has a script that starts DCS and companion apps in one click, I did not consider use cases mentioned here. If there's value added by the launcher, maybe it's a good thing?

2 hours ago, Raisuli said:

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why I would want a launcher.  I have yet to meet one that adds value; maybe eye candy, and they love to flash marketing crap for the developer, but otherwise just add yet another layer between me and where I want to go.  If they want to improve the eye candy give us the option to change the wallpaper that's built in to modules, because quite honestly the vast majority of those are awful.

If they want to make some kind of utility to manage mods or setting or whatever fine, but if I want to play DCS I'll launch DCS.

Launch a launcher that launches DCS?  Why not launch a launcher that launches a launcher that gives you access to the launcher that...

I don't know why you would or wouldn't want a launcher and frankly I don't care. If you don't want to use a launcher for any reason then you should have the option not to do so. My comment was just in response to someone who created their own launcher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatMan said:

Personally I can't stand launchers. I've never even been able to open the KSP2 launcher, so perhaps that launcher needs a launcher!

Therefore I'm a bit surprised to see some pro-launcher comments, and admittedly, as the sort of user who has a script that starts DCS and companion apps in one click, I did not consider use cases mentioned here. If there's value added by the launcher, maybe it's a good thing?

Sounds like you created your own launcher.  As stated before in another comment I don't know if I would use the launcher or not. I just want the option fir those who want it and the option to not use it for those who don't.

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 3