Wing fold procedure

Flanker35M

S!

When spreading wings on the F-18 you can push in the handle right away. This is not the case in the real bird. You have to wait until wings are fully spread before pushing the handle in or you would break the locking pins. Also when folding wings you have to wait a few seconds after pulling out the handle to verify ailerons are flsuh and FCS page shows correct indications. After that you turn the handle to Fold. After wings up you leave handle in Hold and do not push in the handle. Just a few items..

• Like 6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

• ED Team

Hi, 

we would need to see some evidence of a physical stop before we can consider adjusting it, feel free to PM if you have unrestricted public evidence

best regards

bignewy

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It's not that there's a physical stop that prevents the wing fold handle from being pushed in before the wings are spread (the manual specifies that nothing prevents you from doing so), it just warns you that you should wait before pushing it in, or else the wing fold transmission will be damaged.

If anything, this should be a Wishlist item as part of the damage model.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

S!

It will cause damage to certain items there. Sorry for not being able to go into specifics 😞 Trying to find public data/pics/videos of it. Sorry if posted in wrong section. I am glad the Hornet was done, having over 20 years of experience with it IRL 😉

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Memory: Kingston FuryX 64Gb GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT 16Gb HDD: Samsung EVO SSD x 2 Monitor: Samsung 27" Flight gear: Virpil stick, MFG pedals OS: Windows 11 Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:16 AM, Flanker35M said:

having over 20 years of experience with it IRL 😉

Sounds like an SME to me. I hope you guys have been talking.

If you have not produced an official manual, it's costing you sales. I'm a writer and editor of more than 40 books (and tens of thousands of pages of documentation), so if you are struggling to finish your manual, DM me.

I think is mentioned in NATOPS you should wait 5 secs after wings are fully spread to lock to prevent damage before turning the handle to lock.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

There's no physical stop preventing the handle from being set to locked position, which is correct in DCS.

However, if one was to simply turn the handle and push to locked position, the lock pins would be extended before the wings are unfolded and the lock pin would be broken, and the system should report that the wings are not locked (i'll have to go through manual to look for the specific message/alert), last I remember the "WING UNLK" flag on the MFD would remain.

it would be something that needs to be integrated into the wing fold systems damage modelling,
ie: if lock pins are engaged before unfolded 100% then lock pins should break, and wings should still be reported as unlocked.

But this honestly isnt 100% important, as it's something that can be easily explained as a Realistic -> Sim procedure adjustment.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs