F-4E Manual Feedback Mega-Thread

IronMike

• ED Team

Folks if you want to have a social discussion take it to another forum. It is not welcome here. 

If it continues I will hand out warnings. 

Please continue to discuss the Manual. 

thank you 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Landing gear emergency extension handles

https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/systems/flight_controls_gear/gear_ground_handling.html#landing-gear-emergency-extension-handles

Minor typo or structure issue with the "...is...is...".

"The emergency extension is commanded in the front cockpit is performed using the Gear Control Handle..."

Edited by Whirley

On 2/10/2024 at 2:05 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Folks if you want to have a social discussion take it to another forum. It is not welcome here. 

If it continues I will hand out warnings. 

Please continue to discuss the Manual. 

thank you 

My apologies for the post I made after this one. I didn't see this until after I made my post and edited it and in retrospect I should have deleted my post as soon as I saw this and in not doing so I made your job harder. I regret my inaction in this matter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elf1606688794 said:

My apologies for the post I made after this one. I didn't see this until after I made my post and edited it and in retrospect I should have deleted my post as soon as I saw this and in not doing so I made your job harder. I regret my inaction in this matter.

I'm just as guilty except unlike you, I pushed my luck. Apologies to both you and everyone else who was abiding by the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SuperKermit said:

correct Stab. Augmentation setting for dogfighting?

As far as I understand, same as the F-14 - for the very same reasons.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Antenna roll vs roll stabilization

https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/systems/radar/interface.html#polarization-control

This section mentions the antenna not being "roll stabilized", in this case meaning unable to roll itself.

"However, because the antenna is not roll stabilized increased return intensity may be seen when rolling the aircraft."

In later sections like

https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/systems/radar/general_operation.html#nor

the antenna is then said to be roll stabilized.

"the antenna is stabilized in pitch and roll to the horizon"

This could confuse some.

• Like 1

In 2.1.4 Flight Director Group - Reference System Selector Switch:

>>Rapid turns (above 15° per minute) may temporarily disrupt accurate heading information, requiring straight and level flight for about 20 seconds for manual compass system synchronization (SYNC position)

Should it be 15 degree/sec or minute? If it's 15deg/min I'd imagine my heading information to never be accurate lol

• Like 2

The introductory video 

at the 0:34 mark says that Heatblur's "vanilla" F-4E is the 45-MC.

According to the game manual, the aircraft simulated has a maximum internal fuel of 12896 lbs: Tanks - Heatblur F-4E Phantom II

According to TO 1F-4E-1, 1 Feb 1979, p. 1-12 (attached), the maximum usable internal fuel of Block 41+ aircraft is 12058 lbs; the 12896 lbs is correct for Blocks up to 40.

fuel.png

Also, the manual mentions 315-gal wing tanks here: Engines & Fuel Systems - Heatblur F-4E Phantom II. I have no record of 315-gal wing tanks being used on the F-4E and I suppose 370-gal is meant here as on the other page of the manual linked above.

Edited by Stickler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 2:20 AM, vadupleix said:

In 2.1.4 Flight Director Group - Reference System Selector Switch:

>>Rapid turns (above 15° per minute) may temporarily disrupt accurate heading information, requiring straight and level flight for about 20 seconds for manual compass system synchronization (SYNC position)

Should it be 15 degree/sec or minute? If it's 15deg/min I'd imagine my heading information to never be accurate lol

This still doesn't look fixed. Also, it would be nice if the second half of the sentence could be expanded upon. It is currently very oddly worded. Does it require the compass mode selector knob SYNC position to be used? Even a link to 2.10.1.3 of the document would help. (It's also missing a period at the end of the sentence.)

Also the page break is in an odd spot. It does not seem that this sentence is directly related to the sentence above relating to the change in ADI source data when going from PRIM to STBY. I would move "When transitioning between STBY and PRIM, immediate attitude information may show unusual gyrations on the attitude director indicator due to initial erection" up to the previous paragraph where it makes more sense. If it is meant to be included with the statement about synchronization, then more detail is needed, because it there isn't enough information to understand how those two sentences are linked.

If this works similar to the F-14, I would rephrase the last sentence as: "Rapid turns (above 15° per second) may temporarily disrupt accurate heading information, requiring the pilot to perform a manual synchronization of the ADI.  Manual synchronization is performed by flying straight and level flight for approximately 20 seconds while holding the Compass Mode Selector Knob in the SYNC position (it is spring loaded to SLAVED).

This information also feels a little out of place since it delves into systems and 2.1 seems to be more of an overview of the cockpit.

Edited by mattag08

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

RE: 4.3.1.1 AGM-45 Shrike

This entire section on the AGM-45 is very confusing owing to various bits of information being out of place or ambiguously worded. Having read the whole section, I believe I've puzzled out how the system works, but a complete rewrite where step-by-step instructions are given would be much more appropriate given the complexity of the system.

For the WRCS\Pull-up section,

Pull-up

The Pull-up command light indicates that the aircraft is at some range where the Pull-up maneuver must be flown to get a release signal. After pickle and with the indexer light indicating Pull-up, the Pull-up instruction is guidance for the pilot to initiate a steady rotation back to the horizon, and, if desired, continue into a steady climb state until range requirements are met and the missile is launched. The pilot can choose to either bring the aircraft to near level and stop, or pull further into a low climb profile. When the aircraft is approximately 5 seconds away from release, the level indicator will illuminate, directing the pilot to maintain the current orientation until the Shrike is away.

The last sentence is out of order and thus confusing. It should be placed after sentence #1. Combining the changed sentence with a more instructional method I would rewrite/reformat the whole section as:

"To perform an AGM-45 attack in WCRS mode:

1. Select WRCS mode to AGM-45 and press an arming station select button for a hardpoint carrying an AGM-45.

2. WSO should enter a target altitude into the computer control panel (if the target altitude is unknown, use a mean value for the current target area). If multiple missiles are to be launched, enter a release advance time setting.

3. Place the TGT/MSL Rej switch in DF REJ, unless <reason for selecting NORM?>. The ADI will provide steering guidance. The HSI and BDHI will indicate target range (INS navigation mode only).

4. When the aircraft orientation is correct (ADI needles centered) and the target is within range one of the indexer lights will illuminate based on the required release maneuver. At this time the pilot can press and hold the bomb release button to initiate the attack. The possible maneuvers are as follows:

4a. Level - Indicates a confirmation of impending launch. The level signal may immediately occur or only appear after a pull-up or dive maneuver obtains the necessary attitude for missile launch.

4b. Pull-up - Indicates the aircraft is at a range where a pull-up maneuver is required. Fly a pull-up maneuver until the level indexer light is illuminated, then maintain that pitch attitude for missile launch.

4c. Dive - Indicates the aircraft is very close to the target. Follow the dive command until the level indexer light is illuminated, then maintain that pitch attitude until missile launch. NOTE: When dive is indicated the situation and proximity to the SAM installation must be considered prior to attack commitment. An enemy SAM launched at close range will likely arrive before the missile can kill the emitter.

5. Recovery maneuver - After missile launch the missile guides using internal sensors without any input from the launch aircraft. The launch aircraft can maneuver freely to evade enemy attack or terrain as necessary."

(Feel free to copy this word for word to whatever extent desired, I'm not looking to copywrite anything above.)

Edited by mattag08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII