So which install is valid now. stable or open beta?

silent one
Go to solution Solved by rob10,

Ive been using open beta all along.  What happens when theres no open beta and only stable?   If I update my open beta does it become the new stable?  What happens to all my mods?   I dont see any explanation re this migration online.  😞  can someone clarify? 

• Solution

Just carry on.  As much as there is talk about "unification" all it means is that they are only releasing one build at a time for both of the "old" systems.  All stable was was an older version of OB.  Now instead of OB getting a number of updates then Stable getting one update to bring it to the same spot there is only one build released at a time for everyone.  Sounds like they may clean up folder names down the road, but for now you can run with whatever you have currently and you won't notice a difference. Both old OB and Stable people will be running the same thing (even though it may reside in OB folder on one persons computer and Stable folder on anothers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, silent one said:

Ive been using open beta all along.  What happens when theres no open beta and only stable?   If I update my open beta does it become the new stable?  What happens to all my mods?   I dont see any explanation re this migration online.  😞  can someone clarify? 

Nothing changes for you, just update as you normally have, nothing happens to your mods at all

• Like 1

What about Steam users, do we need to opt out of beta at one point or will it automatically make the switch?

Edited by Emme

I have been running both the Open Beta and the Stable version on two seperate SSD drives on a dedicated DCS PC... (the theory being if one crashes at least there is a chance the other will still work 🙂 ) Do I need to delete one of them or will I cause a contension by leaving them both on the same PC?

IJammer...

Edited by IJammer
double word same

1 minute ago, IJammer said:

I have been running both the Open Beta and the Stable version on two seperate SSD drives on a dedicated DCS PC... (the theory being if one crashes at least there is a chance the other will still work 🙂 ) Do I need to delete one of them or will I cause a contension by leaving them both on the same PC?

IJammer...

You don't have to delete one but it absolutely makes sense to delete one of them.

2 minutes ago, razo+r said:

You don't have to delete one but it absolutely makes sense to delete one of them.

OK, thanks for the prompt reply... I might delete the OB on the C:\ drive then and use the Stable that is resident on the D:\ drive; possibly this will help the OS on the C:\ drive to operate while running DCS at the same time?

IJammer

On 3/3/2024 at 10:01 PM, IJammer said:

OK, thanks for the prompt reply... I might delete the OB on the C:\ drive then and use the Stable that is resident on the D:\ drive; possibly this will help the OS on the C:\ drive to operate while running DCS at the same time?

OS always operates, no matter which drive it's installed on. You couldn't run DCS without it.

Btw, the reason for keeping 2 versions of DCS didn't change with new "One DCS to rule them all". You can still keep 2 of them if you want. Ex. you have one 2.9.2 and the new one 2.9.3. Next time you update the 2.9.2 one and keep the 2.9.3. Next time you update the other and so on, so you always can have one previous version.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria