DCS not starting after latest update

Michel0079
Go to solution Solved by rob10,

I have the same issue. I select one of the options -VR, MT, STEAM, and the button goes blue and shows "stop" as normal, bet after a second it turns green and shows "play". Game doeas not start. Hopefully someone can help here fast. Otherwise the entire weekend will be ruined

A couple of thoughts:

1. Are either of you running Oculus VR as the PTC option in the Oculus software is known to be incompatible at the moment.

2. Please could you post your DCS log file from C:\Users\<your username>\Saved Games\<your DCS install>\Logs (assuming it gets this far).

20 minutes ago, RedHot said:

I have the same issue. I select one of the options -VR, MT, STEAM, and the button goes blue and shows "stop" as normal, bet after a second it turns green and shows "play". Game doeas not start. Hopefully someone can help here fast. Otherwise the entire weekend will be ruined

I run standalone version so cannot really help debug Steam, although I do use Steam for other games. Have you tried going to the Steamapps folder for DCS and running the exe directly from the bin (for ST) or bin-mt (for MT) exe folder?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

please attach your dcs.log files.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

36 minutes ago, RedHot said:

Have exactly the same. Currently im reinstalling the game. Tried to start vanilla mode in steam (without VR) which was not working either. Normally i play DCS in VR with MQ3 via Virtual Desktop btw.

I noticed there was still a "beta version" installed this morning and i thought DCS was uniting all versions from now on, so just chose to reinstall as somehting might be wrong there...

Takes some hours, lets see. 

Edited by Michel0079

20 minutes ago, hornblower793 said:

A couple of thoughts:

1. Are either of you running Oculus VR as the PTC option in the Oculus software is known to be incompatible at the moment.

2. Please could you post your DCS log file from C:\Users\<your username>\Saved Games\<your DCS install>\Logs (assuming it gets this far).

I run standalone version so cannot really help debug Steam, although I do use Steam for other games. Have you tried going to the Steamapps folder for DCS and running the exe directly from the bin (for ST) or bin-mt (for MT) exe folder?

1. I am not running Oculus VR on my PC

2. There are no log files. Does not look like the log file has been generated. Application terminates before any files are read or log is generated

3. I tried to start from Steamapps folder. I got error message below. Looks like there is something wrong with the Graphics. I did update to the latest version of the NVIDIA driver just before I downloaded the DCS update. I have a NVIDIA RTX 3080 graphics card.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 123920.png

55 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

Same issue, VR with Rift S but not using Steam.  I can get DCS to start outside of VR not sure if that was using MT or not.  Not near computer till later today to check the log file.

This issue sounds like you might have PTC selected in the Oculus app as this is known to currently stop DCS working. Unselect PTC and you should be good to go

1 hour ago, Michel0079 said:

Have exactly the same. Currently im reinstalling the game. Tried to start vanilla mode in steam (without VR) which was not working either. Normally i play DCS in VR with MQ3 via Virtual Desktop btw.

I noticed there was still a "beta version" installed this morning and i thought DCS was uniting all versions from now on, so just chose to reinstall as somehting might be wrong there...

The versions are united now (everyone got the download) but it currently remains showing as OB or stable depending on what you updated.

45 minutes ago, RedHot said:

1. I am not running Oculus VR on my PC

2. There are no log files. Does not look like the log file has been generated. Application terminates before any files are read or log is generated

3. I tried to start from Steamapps folder. I got error message below. Looks like there is something wrong with the Graphics. I did update to the latest version of the NVIDIA driver just before I downloaded the DCS update. I have a NVIDIA RTX 3080 graphics card.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 123920.png

The error implies that GraphicsCore.dll is corrupted, but it could also be something to do with a Windows file. Have you tried running sfc to check for errors https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Also, have you tried to run a repair of the Steam installation. Right click on DCS in your library and then select properties>installed files>verify integrity of files

Edited by hornblower793
Corrected Steam check instructions
  • Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

ok guys. I verified the installation using the steam file verification feature. After that, the game started. So, I guess it was some files which was corrupted during the download -most probably the GraphicsCore.dll.

• Like 1

Glad it is working 🙂 - enjoy the flight

4 hours ago, Michel0079 said:

Have exactly the same. Currently im reinstalling the game.

For future reference, doing a SLOW REPAIR in DCS will do virtually everything that a reinstall will do.  There are extremely rare cases where re-install helps over that, but I would do repair and every other troubleshooting step before going to reinstall to save yourself that time.

13 minutes ago, NobiWan said:

Quest 3 here. Disabling Public Test Channel (PTC) did the trick for me.

Great🙂

Ok i re-installed dcs (and Steam). But i still cant start the game.

I can push play in steam, then it loads 3 secs and the pushbutton turns back to "Play" again.

Weird. Dont have a clue what it could be. I know that other programs do work in Steam. And also FS2020 does work (which is non-steam version).

Also ran 3DMark and no errors occured on pc hardware.

Edited by Michel0079

Please:

1. Browse to "Saved Games/DCS.../Logs".
  2. Find the latest zip file and drag-and-drop it here.
  3. Do the same with dcs.log.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@Michel0079  Turning of your F-Secure is ofcourse not the best solution 😀.

I also use F-Secure and had the same problem after the latest update.

You can exclude the file DCS_updater.exe file in the deepguard part of F-Secure. That way, F-Secure remains active, but the DCS_updater.exe file, which is used to start DCS, is no longer scanned and DCS starts without any problem.

This is for the standalone version of DCS, so I don't know if this will work for the Steam edition too.

• Like 1

DCS doesn't start after after AJS37 update ( Patch Feb 22nd 2024).

The DCS link points at the updater, in my case "E:\DCS\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe".
Normally the DCS starts after an update but not now.

The logs shows: Command line: "E:\DCS\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe"
If I try to execute this from a CMD-window, DCS does NOT start.

But if I instead try "E:\DCS\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe", it's ok.

What's the difference between these two?
And why doesn't the updater start DCS? Which it always have done in previous updates.

Hi @Msiipola. MT is for multithreading. It represents the future for DCS: your CPU will get better used, and it may be the case already (it is for many).

Please open a new thread and attach the dcs.log file (from Saved Games/DCS.../Logs) which is generated when trying to run DCS MT. We'll help you.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.