Dora February 2024 update

Bucic

I haven't touched Dora for years. I'm blown away by the recent audio update!

(repaste from another post)

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/344067-dcs-update-discussion-february-2024/

Part 2 of the Dora audio update is up!

I have even recorded my own short stint. What an update! It's a pleasure to listen. You fly at 5000 m, dive to 4000 at a fixed throttle position, the airspeed increases and the engine audio reflects the different regime. It sings to you now!

But there's much more. There have been some significant updates to the cockpit and liveries textures in the past 8 years. Are there any old Dora lurkers around to give a rough estimate on when that happened? Any other significant changes? I can see the cockpit frame is entirely new, all metal, for example. Any systems modeling updates?

It has been confirmed that all of the DCS aircraft are going to receive a landing gear physics rework so another component for Dora on the way. Since Mosquito is the testbed for the project I assume WW2 A/C are going to be first in line for the update.

• Like 3

Wooden lining on windscreen frame was fixed (removed) relatively quickly, in Dec 2014. Cockpit retexturing happened together with Mustang and Kurfy in 2018. Infamous "bar" reduction happened shortly after Anton got it, so what, approx. two years ago? There were no Dora-specific audio or visual updates otherwise (apart from recent "global" DCS ones like prop animation, muzzle effects, gun sounds etc.), this is the first one in a looong time. Combined with Doughguy's custom skins it certainly makes Doora more fun to fly again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks @Art-J

That's quite a story. It also tells me exactly when I went off-DCS 🙂 At the dawn od the wooden frame era .

Indeed, with the Doughguy's custom skins a new 3D external model isn't even needed direly. I've just set up my Xbox controller so I can do some intermittent pleasure rides for a change from my so far only module - F-5E.

I also recall I rage-ditched dogfighting attempts back in 2014 due to poor visibility. Especially that Dora is an "extension fighter".

Also, ... nicht... niemals in den Kaukasus  😄

48 minutes ago, bephanten said:

new sounds are waay better. it feels like a proper engine now. but the rpm surge of mw-50 still feels odd. 

The old sounds for all initial warbirds were a pistonless noise, no way around it. Diveplane's mods was the only way to go so far.

I was intending to comment on the MW-50 audio but I don't understand the system enough. As far as the audio goes, at low alts it noticeable, at higher alts it's not.

1 hour ago, Bucic said:

I've just set up my Xbox controller so I can do some intermittent pleasure rides for a change from my so far only module - F-5E.

You lucky SOB 😉 . I've moved to different flat recently and still won't have access to my gaming rig for two weeks at least, ain't got controller either.

It's difficult to stay patient when so many goodies are getting released for both DCS and Il-2GB

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've just caught it by accident. I tried controlling the aircraft to the last second. You can hear the pilot suffering and gradually lose concience (watch the control stick). The initial audio started as soon as the A/C caught fire. I know ear ringing from before but I've never seen such a fluid and complete chilling transition in DCS.

Edited by Bucic

I have mixed feeling about new sounds.

Frist the loudness level, cockpit vs outside, in cockpit engine sound is noticeably louder. You can perform easy test, run up engine to 1500rpm listen cockpit sounds and listen from outside.

Second i don't like cockpit sound as a whole, especially at 3000rpm it literally sounds like forage harvester. 

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

7 hours ago, grafspee said:

I have mixed feeling about new sounds.

Frist the loudness level, cockpit vs outside, in cockpit engine sound is noticeably louder. You can perform easy test, run up engine to 1500rpm listen cockpit sounds and listen from outside.

Second i don't like cockpit sound as a whole, especially at 3000rpm it literally sounds like forage harvester. 

I wasn't mentioning the audio levels because I wasn't sure what to write. The levels are different than in other modules and to watch an aerobatic set with a camera outside you have to be constantly on the volume knob.

I'd say ED went a bit overboard with the dynamic range but the issue with WW2 volume levels may be universal. Just join the furball in the Dora Instant Action - Furball mission and watch outside. Mustangs also go in and out between  deafening and inaudible.

As for the fidelity/realism of the in-cockpit audio, I don't think an in-cockpit audio recording of a real Jumo-powered Fw 190 is available. It is available for the Deimler-Benz-powered 109 doing a flight demonstration, including startup, taxi and everything.

I use "Hear llike in headphones" option in DCS.

Edited by Bucic

7 hours ago, Bucic said:

As for the fidelity/realism of the in-cockpit audio, I don't think an in-cockpit audio recording of a real Jumo-powered Fw 190 is available. It is available for the Deimler-Benz-powered 109 doing a flight demonstration, including startup, taxi and everything.

I use "Hear llike in headphones" option in DCS.

So dynamic rage should be applied to in cockpit sound at the same level as outside sound, so when you close cannopy loudness get lowered by noticeable margin. 

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

So dynamic rage should be applied to in cockpit sound at the same level as outside sound, so when you close cannopy loudness get lowered by noticeable margin. 

It is lowered but at the same time controlled by the Options - Audio sliders. In an extreme slider scenario (the World slider near the minimum) you may get the opposite effect.

By default the out of the box DCS audio setup gives deafening levels in external views and radio.

48 minutes ago, Bucic said:

It is lowered but at the same time controlled by the Options - Audio sliders. In an extreme slider scenario (the World slider near the minimum) you may get the opposite effect.

By default the out of the box DCS audio setup gives deafening levels in external views and radio.

Question is, does this cockpit sound slider when moved to 0 mutes everything or just internal engine sound ? If it mutes all sounds this won't fix that issue. But for sure i will experiment with those sliders.

Edited by grafspee

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...