I’ve joined club Virpil

So irl seems to be taking a dump on me at the moment (my wife left me) so I thought I’d try and cheer myself up with a new Hotas (it almost worked.)

So having spent a few months researching and going back and forth in my mind between Virpil (quality) and WinWing (Looks, price and button count) I settled on Virpil. As great as the WinWing stuff looks, the potential quality issues and customer service really put me off. So I went with Virpil cm3 throttle and base with the 20mm extension plus to desk mounts. Though most of the items in my order being listed as back order it all arrived today, 5 days after I ordered it. I was expecting a month wait at least, so did let out a “woo hoo!”

So onto the inevitable question. The more observant amongst you will have noticed I didn’t order a grip. I’m moving on from a TMWH and know I can use the grip from that, but i hear it isn’t a perfect fit and there is a little play. Anyone have experience with this and is there a fix? I do want a new grip though as my WH one is 8 years old and filthy (“how to clean a filthy joystick” is something I dare not Google) and sadly the Virpil mongoose grip seems to be no longer available. I’m looking for suggestions really, I thought the TM Hornet stick looks pretty nice but worry it will not connect properly. Is there likely to be a replacement for the mongoose from Virpil anytime soon? What are you guys using with the cm3 base and 20mm extension? I mainly fly the Hornet and Spitfire but like to struggle to fly many others.

Thanks

So... One you are currently single you can Google whatever you want!

Two, the fit on the F16 Stick is fine and works well,.

Three, i don't know about the replacement, but I just went to winwing,after much ummjng and ahing, because I couldn't find a virpil grip I would get on with... The closest fit was the constellation alpha.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well, for the spit you'd like the differential braking, IIRC the brake lever on a TM is only button press, usable but not ideal

But where did you get the idea the Mongoost is no longer available?  Out of stock, yes. Out of production?

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-grip.html

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

Nothing wrong with it technically, I just didn't like it.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

4 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Nothing wrong with it technically, I just didn't like it.

Apologies, my comment was to @Digitalvole

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

4 minutes ago, Nightdare said:

Apologies, my comment was to @Digitalvole

No worries, but thanks for saying 

28 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

So... One you are currently single you can Google whatever you want!

Two, the fit on the F16 Stick is fine and works well,.

Three, i don't know about the replacement, but I just went to winwing,after much ummjng and ahing, because I couldn't find a virpil grip I would get on with... The closest fit was the constellation alpha.

Haha yes but you can’t unsee things 😉 I’ll need to try the wh grip and see I suppose, if it does fit nicely it will do for now. Regarding the WinWing you use now, did you bin off the Virpil base then? As far as I know you can’t fit WinWing grips onto Virpil stuff? If so please don’t tell me it’s better. 

30 minutes ago, Nightdare said:

Well, for the spit you'd like the differential braking, IIRC the brake lever on a TM is only button press, usable but not ideal

But where did you get the idea the Mongoost is no longer available?  Out of stock, yes. Out of production?

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-grip.html

Yeah an axis for breaking would be great for the spit and mossie. The reason I wonder about the mongoose grip is that you can back order everything else but not that, seems suspicious.

7 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

Regarding the WinWing you use now, did you bin off the Virpil base then? As far as I know you can’t fit WinWing grips onto Virpil stuff? If so please don’t tell me it’s better. 

Unfortunately I had to ditch the base, which was awesome, as the winwing grip is incompatible with the virpil base 😞. That sad I have been very impressed with the winwing base and stick, different design philosophy very precise and very light.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Man, I'm sorry about your relationship. But you chose the best eco system, you might as well order a Rhino FFB base now.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I’m gutted.
I’ve found out (as is so often the case) that when you think something is top end you soon discover  there’s is an even topper end. 

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1

I’ve never experienced play whilst using either a TM warthog or hornet grip with my virpil base. 
maybe I’m not as sensitive as other people?

I currently use an Alpha in preference 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks man, I’m gutted.
I’ve found out (as is so often the case) that when you think something is top end you soon discover  there’s is an even topper end. 
Yup, it'll never end. There's always another peak!

Sorry, hectic week.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:44 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

I’ve never experienced play whilst using either a TM warthog or hornet grip with my virpil base. 
maybe I’m not as sensitive as other people?

I currently use an Alpha in preference 

This is good to hear, and I think I’ve found the cause of the problem in another thread (two screws need to be removed) so I’m confident now that TM or Virpil will be fine.

Right now I’m torn between the TM Hornet or the Virpil F14 grip. 

On 3/3/2024 at 10:12 AM, MAXsenna said:

Yup, it'll never end. There's always another peak!

True indeed, right up until you’re sat in the cockpit of an F35 I suppose. Next day they release an F36 😉 

• Like 1

Sorry, hectic week.
True indeed, right up until you’re sat in the cockpit of an F35 I suppose. Next day they release an F36  
Something like that!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, golani79 said:

I´d send them a mail and just ask about availability for the Mongoos.

Meanwhile you could still use your old WH grip.

That’s a good idea, but it requires a level of patience I simply don’t poses 😉😉  Really I want a new grip, after 8 years of use my WH one is coated in all sorts of grime (mostly dead skin I’m guessing, nice.)

On 3/2/2024 at 8:04 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Unfortunately I had to ditch the base, which was awesome, as the winwing grip is incompatible with the virpil base 😞. That sad I have been very impressed with the winwing base and stick, different design philosophy very precise and very light.

I just couldn’t go the WinWing route, I have terrible luck and I couldn’t risk it. Shame though, it looks great and the price is good. Very tempered by the hornet takeoff panel.

• Like 1

i have the old panel set and they are also very good

Went for the TM Hornet grip in the end. The logic being: i can fly a Tomcat with the Hornet one but I can’t fly a Hornet with the Tomcat one.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:22 AM, speed-of-heat said:

i have the old panel set and they are also very good

Does it work ok with Virpil stuff? Just wondering if you can mix these things without them getting in a tizz.

Went for the TM Hornet grip in the end. The logic being: i can fly a Tomcat with the Hornet one but I can’t fly a Hornet with the Tomcat one.
Does it work ok with Virpil stuff? Just wondering if you can mix these things without them getting in a tizz.
TM Hornet grip here with a WarBRD, works fine.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

28 minutes ago, zildac said:
1 hour ago, Digitalvole said:

TM Hornet grip here with a WarBRD, works fine.

Thanks, I spent a fortnight uming and ahring about it. Finally pulled the trigger (sorry) today.

Unrelated, but I was in CEX earlier today (Xbox broke) and they had a Warthog stick w/ base in brand new condition for £109. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Was tempted just because it looked so new and clean!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalvole said:

Yes you can mix and match, dcs just cares about if it looks like a joystick...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Alas I have run into the inevitable technical problem.

My grip (TM F18) is not detected when using the 200mm extension but is when plugged straight into the base. Before I contact Virpil I just thought I’d check I’m not missing something. Anyone have this happen and found a fix?

Sorted! I needed to pull the wire out of the bottom of the extension to ensure a proper connection to the base. All working now. 🙂

Just the task of rebinding buttons for all my modules, that should only take a week or two. 😉

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1