Getting into VR now, or in 6-9 months?

oCMANo

Been thinking about trying out VR with DCS.  Have done a bit of research and watched various reviews and kind of settling on the Pimax Crystal if I made the jump now.

That said, anyone feel like there'll be a upcoming better headset towards the latter half of the year?

I know the technology is improving rapidly, but I have a 4K 42' OLED monitor at the moment so not really sure if VR would be 'ready' to replace that really yet.  So far it sounds like the Pimax would be really close, plus it'd give the depth perception that the 2D doesn't have.

Specs in signature, so not really concerned about being able to run VR.  Just if the headsets are 'good enough' yet to replace large screen 4k OLED monitors?

Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time!

ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 White Edition Mid-Tower Compute, Intel Core i9-13900K, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, MSI Suprim GeForce RTX 4090 24GB , CORSAIR DOMINATOR 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600, Corsair HX Series, HX1200, 1200 Watt, CORSAIR CW-9060058-WW iCUE H100i, 2X SAMSUNG 980 PRO Heatsink M.2 2280 2TB

There is always something better in n months time... Pimax is a good choice right now...

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Your hardware is ready... 😎

Ever tried VR already? Basically, you have to check if you are sensible to motion sickness. "good enough" is the next thing, the expectations about "sharpness". Simply don't expect monitor replacement here. This point is currently what is expected to change the most in the next years. Current "normal" generation is having panel resolutions between 2000 - 3000 pixels, next gen is above 3000. From my experience since 2014, i will stop caring about VR panel resolution when we reach 3800x3800 at reasonable price ranges. Your first headset will not be your last headset. 😉
However, VR is delivering on so much other important factors where monitors will never be able to shine.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Thanks 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Up until fairly recently, there was a distinct tradeoff going to VR where you got more “immersion” but significantly poorer visuals.

the Crystal has finally matured enough with working eye tracking that you truly get good immersion and visuals as well. It’s really pretty amazing, although still a little finicky and not a polished plug and play experience. I spent a lot of time getting everything working to my satisfaction. But I can’t go back to 2D.

That said, competitive players still use 2D and trackIR. It is more comfortable for long sessions, it is easier to spot, and easier to keep track of your opponent. In some ways I feel the 2D players are actually kind of cheating. The VR experience is more realistic but the 2D experience is, well, easier. I would say if you fly for fun VR is the way to go. If you want to mop up a multiplayer server then maybe not.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

Just saying we all could be dead by 6-9 months. Or sick.
If you can now, order now, from a shop which allows free returns. Even though you can´t ask for a refund, you won't lose much within the second market.

• Thanks 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

12 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Your hardware is ready... 😎

Ever tried VR already? Basically, you have to check if you are sensible to motion sickness. "good enough" is the next thing, the expectations about "sharpness". Simply don't expect monitor replacement here. This point is currently what is expected to change the most in the next years. Current "normal" generation is having panel resolutions between 2000 - 3000 pixels, next gen is above 3000. From my experience since 2014, i will stop caring about VR panel resolution when we reach 3800x3800 at reasonable price ranges. Your first headset will not be your last headset. 😉
However, VR is delivering on so much other important factors where monitors will never be able to shine.

The motion sickness thing is so weird.  I dont get it playing DCS or MSFS or most things in VR, but I absolutely cannot ride in a car on a twisty road without getting it.  I also cant go to any of the 4D "rides" at amusement parks or disney due to massive motion sickness.  But my wife that doesnt have either of those two issues, cant even look at a VR screen for more than a few seconds without getting motion sickness.  

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

5 hours ago, ackattacker said:

Up until fairly recently, there was a distinct tradeoff going to VR where you got more “immersion” but significantly poorer visuals.

the Crystal has finally matured enough with working eye tracking that you truly get good immersion and visuals as well. It’s really pretty amazing, although still a little finicky and not a polished plug and play experience. I spent a lot of time getting everything working to my satisfaction. But I can’t go back to 2D.

That said, competitive players still use 2D and trackIR. It is more comfortable for long sessions, it is easier to spot, and easier to keep track of your opponent. In some ways I feel the 2D players are actually kind of cheating. The VR experience is more realistic but the 2D experience is, well, easier. I would say if you fly for fun VR is the way to go. If you want to mop up a multiplayer server then maybe not.

The multiplayer thing is the rub.  I love the idea of better immersion, but with 2D it seems I can spot better than the other players in VR.  That said, deflection shooting in WW2 in 2D sucks.  It's VERY hard to judge how far I need to lead.  In a close in dogfight, someone on VR seems to be able to hit on angle shots much better.

Hear the other feedback. do it now, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow.  Guess I'll bite the bullet.  Thanks all!

ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 White Edition Mid-Tower Compute, Intel Core i9-13900K, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, MSI Suprim GeForce RTX 4090 24GB , CORSAIR DOMINATOR 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600, Corsair HX Series, HX1200, 1200 Watt, CORSAIR CW-9060058-WW iCUE H100i, 2X SAMSUNG 980 PRO Heatsink M.2 2280 2TB

1 minute ago, oCMANo said:

The multiplayer thing is the rub.  I love the idea of better immersion, but with 2D it seems I can spot better than the other players in VR.  That said, deflection shooting in WW2 in 2D sucks.  It's VERY hard to judge how far I need to lead.  In a close in dogfight, someone on VR seems to be able to hit on angle shots much better.

Hear the other feedback. do it now, we aren't guaranteed tomorrow.  Guess I'll bite the bullet.  Thanks all!

Why not try a "cheap" intermediate headset to see how you get on? I've been using VR for about 5 years (not all in DCS, that's more recent) with rift s then Pico 4 and, in the last 2 months, a quest pro. All these headsets are great in their own way. Even the rift s. What you get with most recent headsets is high pixel count and eye tracking. But pixel count is not everything. Learning to use VR headsets at their best is an art and many people are put off because they don't anticipate the effort required (it doesn't have to be hard if you get someone to help). You could buy a used QP for about £350-500, try it for a few weeks then sell it for about the same price you bought it for. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

Why not try a "cheap" intermediate headset to see how you get on? I've been using VR for about 5 years (not all in DCS, that's more recent) with rift s then Pico 4 and, in the last 2 months, a quest pro. All these headsets are great in their own way. Even the rift s. What you get with most recent headsets is high pixel count and eye tracking. But pixel count is not everything. Learning to use VR headsets at their best is an art and many people are put off because they don't anticipate the effort required (it doesn't have to be hard if you get someone to help). You could buy a used QP for about £350-500, try it for a few weeks then sell it for about the same price you bought it for. 

Well the whole point was to try and get as close to a 4K 2D monitors visuals in VR.  I have a Tobii Eyetracker 5 with DCS which works awesome right now.  Pimax has the eye tracking as well, but for more the performance in the headset, which is why I was leaning heavily to it.

Now if they only had 3D OLED monitors that didn't need to wear anything on your head . . . . . . . . maybe by 2030s. 

1 hour ago, oCMANo said:

Well the whole point was to try and get as close to a 4K 2D monitors visuals in VR.  I have a Tobii Eyetracker 5 with DCS which works awesome right now.  Pimax has the eye tracking as well, but for more the performance in the headset, which is why I was leaning heavily to it.

Now if they only had 3D OLED monitors that didn't need to wear anything on your head . . . . . . . . maybe by 2030s. 

Go for the pimax then. It's sounds like a good choice but a bit to expensive for me at the moment. I work at a University where they have set up "virtual reality" rooms about 5m x 5m and 2m high with video wall projection for immersive VR medical training. It's like a holodeck! I am trying to persuade the project director to let me set up DCS in this environment. Imagine flying with screens on four walls, the ceiling and the floor!! I would obviously need the ultimate SIM pit to complete the experience. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

https://vrheadset.com/category/pc-vr-news-reviews/

If we get lucky something may emerge out of Panasonic's debacle this year yet, at least the new company already has several physical set designs based on years of Panasonic's floundering, flopping, and research to bring to market.  The last one is right in bigscreens turf with the bonus of adjustable IPD and added adjustable diopitors for glasses wearers. 

• Thanks 1

Of couse, trying to buy a Pimax Crystal off their own site, it cannot do shipping to my address.  Sigh.  Guess I'll see how good their customer support is now, when they get back to me.

17 hours ago, ackattacker said:

In some ways I feel the 2D players are actually kind of cheating.

Well, in fact, they are most of the time. With TrackIR set to exponential head turning, they can look at their six and would have broken their necks a thousand times in real life already. It's the same with the VR tool called "Necksafer". xD

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

17 hours ago, oCMANo said:

Of couse, trying to buy a Pimax Crystal off their own site, it cannot do shipping to my address.  Sigh.  Guess I'll see how good their customer support is now, when they get back to me.

Amazon.

Posted (edited)

Got the ordering issues sorted.  I guess if they don't have that particular bundle in stock, it'll say shipping options not available.  (They should really add that to the error message instead of it saying nothing as to why you cannot ship).  Went ahead and got the 'standard' bundle that includes the two VR controllers (which I'll probably never use) and then was able to order.  Was only an additional $200 over the Flight Sim only package.

Did notice that the DMAS earphones are separate and were out of stock.  Read/heard mixed things on those, so not sure I'll get them or not.

It easy to use a existing headset over the top of VR headsets?  I have a SteelSeries Arctis Pro, so can I stick with that instead of springing for iffy VR headphones?

Edited by oCMANo