Kobuleti ILS broken? (Solved. Feature, not a bug ๐Ÿ™‚)

Been away from DCS for many years but recently got back into it a bit. Been learning (relearning?) the A-10C and was trying to get the ILS system to work while loading up the "landing" and "night landing" instant action scenarios. Both are set at Kobuleti. Tried many times without getting the ILS, supposedly at freq. 111.50MHz, to work (TACAN is working though). After looking up a few online guides I noticed they do the exact same procedure, but in their screenshots/videos the ILS was working as expected. They were not using Kobuleti though. I thought this was suspicious so I set up a similar scenario at Batumi using the mission editor, and I instantly got the ILS working.

Edited by Brisse

Been away from DCS for many years but recently got back into it a bit. Been learning (relearning?) the A-10C and was trying to get the ILS system to work while loading up the "landing" and "night landing" instant action scenarios. Both are set at Kobuleti. Tried many times without getting the ILS, supposedly at freq. 111.50MHz, to work (TACAN is working though). After looking up a few online guides I noticed they do the exact same procedure, but in their screenshots/videos the ILS was working as expected. They were not using Kobuleti though. I thought this was suspicious so I set up a similar scenario at Batumi using the mission editor, and I instantly got the ILS working.
Which wind direction?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

tested and works ! runway 070 ILS 111,50. Runway 250 has no ILS

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Posted (edited)

Loaded up A-10C instant action "night landing" in the mission editor. Here are the wind settings, 2m/s at 250ยฐ on ground level.

https://imgur.com/DcZsm5x

ย 

I also tried setting up a similar scenario from scratch in the mission editor, this time also at Kobuleti, and now ILS is working. Went back to try the instant action missions once more, and its broken. I don't see any failure states or anything applied to the aircraft in the mission editor so I wonder if those missions are somehow bugged.

Edit: Yes, I'm using runway 07.

Edited by Brisse

I saved a replay of the last try and now that I'm rewatching it, I realized ATC told me to use runway 25. Does that matter in any way? Does that mean ILS for runway 07 is turned off by ground personnel?

2 minutes ago, Brisse said:

I saved a replay of the last try and now that I'm rewatching it, I realized ATC told me to use runway 25. Does that matter in any way? Does that mean ILS for runway 07 is turned off by ground personnel?

Yes, this is one of the few times you should listen to the ATC in DCS.

They will tell you which runway is active. This also means that for example an ILS for the opposite runway will be turned off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Yes, this is one of the few times you should listen to the ATC in DCS.

They will tell you which runway is active. This also means that for example an ILS for the opposite runway will be turned off.

So it's a feature, not a bug. Got it ๐Ÿ™‚

A tiny bit frustrating though, that the instant action missions can't be used for setting up an ILS approach.

• Brisse changed the title to Kobuleti ILS broken? (Solved. Feature, not a bug ๐Ÿ™‚)
42 minutes ago, Brisse said:

I don't see any failure states or anything applied to the aircraft in the mission editor so I wonder if those missions are somehow bugged.

They are, originally the missions worked as intended and Kobuleti's active runway and ILS was RWY 07.

DCS's chosen runway direction has become particularly unpredictable when dealing with light head/tail winds (1-6 knot), hence the issue with these older missions.

21 minutes ago, Brisse said:

So it's a feature, not a bug.

No, the problem with ATC appeared with DCS 2.5.0 but seems to have a very low priority with ED as it's not combat related.

There is the promise of an ATC future rework but it seems to be focused on new voice lines, etc. rather than simple functionality.

21 minutes ago, Brisse said:

A tiny bit frustrating though, that the instant action missions can't be used for setting up an ILS approach.

Yes, it's unfortunate players need to learn the mission editor and adjust the wind in a copy of the training mission or create their own versions.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 3

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080