VOIP and SRS communication

Dannyvandelft

Is it possible to make it so SRS and VOIP users to communicate on the same frequency?

If not, why not make it so it does?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The new VOIP by ED has 2 modes, one is room mode and radio/channel mode (i might be remembering the name wrong).

Room mode is what you ask for, everyone on the samecoalition will communicate as if they were in the same frequency.

On the second mode OTOH you need to individually select the correct frequency to hear other players using the module radios to tune the proper channel, or change freq as needed for other comms (eg. tankers, Magic, OCAs, strykers....), but obviously you need some previous coordination to define those frequencies.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

The new VOIP by ED has 2 modes, one is room mode and radio/channel mode (i might be remembering the name wrong).

Room mode is what you ask for, everyone on the samecoalition will communicate as if they were in the same frequency.

On the second mode OTOH you need to individually select the correct frequency to hear other players using the module radios to tune the proper channel, or change freq as needed for other comms (eg. tankers, Magic, OCAs, strykers....), but obviously you need some previous coordination to define those frequencies.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

No I'm asking that a user using VOIP on 253.000 can talk to an SRS user on 253.000

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Is it possible to make it so SRS and VOIP users to communicate on the same frequency?

If not, why not make it so it does?

That's not possible, as these are two entirely different and seperate systems that are not compatible with each other.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Was afraid of that. In that case ED should either absorb SRS, or make it impossible to use. Having half the server on one, and the rest on the other, is silly.

SRS is not ED software and it is not possible to "absorb" 

We do have more features coming in the future for voice chat 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

SRS is not ED software and it is not possible to "absorb" 
We do have more features coming in the future for voice chat 
That's good to hear. I like the VOIP a lot. Especially how it makes the Warbird radios sounds authentic. But it's annoying I can't hear half the server because they're on SRS. It sounds mean, and I don't want it to be, but since VOIP is getting up there in functionality, maybe force people on VOIP?

• Like 1

• ED Team

We can not force people to use voice chat obviously, and SRS is a great tool. As we add more features we hope to see more people making the switch, but we know we have some extra work to do before that happens. Currently the feedback we have been getting has helped improve our current features and we will continue to develop it over time. 

thanks

• Like 5

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I think the problem is not only about 'features'. I have spend 3 min to find SRS in internet, to get it, unpack and tune it. Then I simply used it. And I spend 20 min trying to find out how IN GAME radio works and I didn't succeed.. Why 'IN GAME radio' doesn't work by defolt, just when you are in cockpit? 

• Like 1

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Red_Pilot said:

I think the problem is not only about 'features'. I have spend 3 min to find SRS in internet, to get it, unpack and tune it. Then I simply used it. And I spend 20 min trying to find out how IN GAME radio works and I didn't succeed.. Why 'IN GAME radio' doesn't work by defolt, just when you are in cockpit? 

there will be some changes to make it easier in a future update, particularly regarding how you bind inputs which should make it easier. 

thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2024 at 4:57 AM, Dannyvandelft said:

That's good to hear. I like the VOIP a lot. Especially how it makes the Warbird radios sounds authentic. But it's annoying I can't hear half the server because they're on SRS. It sounds mean, and I don't want it to be, but since VOIP is getting up there in functionality, maybe force people on VOIP?

You are aware you can use both at the same time, right?
I do it, just have a separate key bind for VOIP and SRS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 7:21 AM, BIGNEWY said:

there will be some changes to make it easier in a future update, particularly regarding how you bind inputs which should make it easier. 

thanks 

I think one thing that SRS does well is their radio overlay being off screen, so it doesn't take up screen space while still allowing you to quickly reference and monitor who's talking, what channel you're on, and how many people are in it.  Despite the realism of tuning a freq and needing to call out to the darkness if anyone is there - I think in the online sphere, people better network and respond when they know someone else is there on channel. 

Also - many servers still hard-require SRS to log in to.  Once in-game VC gets a little more honed/fleshed/toned/meshed in, would it be possible to have in-game communications run through a radio sub-routine in the game itself, that forces any other 'program' calling the radio API to transmit through?  

Ie - would it be possible to force SRS into using in-game radio transmissions if it wants to call the API?  That way, using SRS would simply be a 'style of overlay' choice, more than a 'which voice-comm to use' choice?