Is this an F-16 BUG, or am I doing something wrong?

RTS354
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

When using the Maverick and the TGP in visual mode and then selecting a target, when I create a mark point using the TGP, the coordinates are accepted as mark point 26, but when I switch to PRE mode, and select CZ on the TGP, the TGP points in an erroneous direction. Note that I tried this from a cold start with a STD Heading INS alignment. I’m trying to store the TOO target position as a waypoint using the visual mode of Maverick.

• Solution
36 minutes ago, RTS354 said:

When using the Maverick and the TGP in visual mode and then selecting a target, when I create a mark point using the TGP, the coordinates are accepted as mark point 26, but when I switch to PRE mode, and select CZ on the TGP, the TGP points in an erroneous direction. Note that I tried this from a cold start with a STD Heading INS alignment. I’m trying to store the TOO target position as a waypoint using the visual mode of Maverick.

You have to switch to Mark Point, starts with STPT 26, or while in mark page press M-Sel to select that mark point as steerpoint.

Posted (edited)

I think it is an issue with Visual mode where mark points can be selected in visual mode but will not be recognized by the TGP CZ function until you put the Maverick in PRE mode. BUT when but went into PRE mode after creating the first mark point in visual mode, this mark point had erroneous coordinates. 

Edited by RTS354

I've just recently got back into the F16 and have also noticed some weird behaviour while playing with mark points, particularly when changing between the weapon submodes (VIS, DTOS, PRE, etc).

As an example, I set a mark point using the TGP in VIS mode (Mavericks).  I then hit M-SEL to make it the current steerpoint and when I go back to PRE mode and TMS down while still set to steerpoint 26, it points to what looks to be steerpoint 1.  Only after changing the steerpoint and then going back to steerpoint 26 does it point to the right location.  Not sure if it is intended behaviour or not.

markpoint.trk

That's that I experienced. After running a test, a second time I realized that what I though was erroneous data on mark point 26 was actually steer point 1. I wonder if this is a bug.

I've been experiencing strange mark point behavior, too. The only time I have trouble is when playing around with free fall bombs in DTOS/CCIP/etc while en route to target. Then it doesn't matter what I'm doing when I set the mark point. I does seem to be stuck on Steerpoint 1.

You can tell when it's broke because you don't have to hit CZ on the TGP after hitting M-sel.

I don't think you mark a point from the WPN page. So you'd need to use the TGP as SOI and not a Maverick.

-Ryan

Glad to read this tread, I had a different thread with same issue, I was following the Chuck's Guide steps and got in consistent Mark Point functioning.  Its a steep learning curve but you fall right off the curve when the program is not quite right.  I keep trying to learn.  It's fun. 

Mike

On 3/24/2024 at 3:28 PM, Aronis said:

Glad to read this tread, I had a different thread with same issue, I was following the Chuck's Guide steps and got in consistent Mark Point functioning.  Its a steep learning curve but you fall right off the curve when the program is not quite right.  I keep trying to learn.  It's fun. 

Mike

I'm very much learning myself. Agree that you just wipe out when you hit a bug and can't get something to work. Any tutorial or guide that is over a year old can't be 100% trusted.

-Ryan

• Like 1