Crash at 15 Year Splash Screen in VR and pancake

Go to solution Solved by WinOrLose,

Game was working fine a week ago and there have been two alterations since then.

Quest update to ver 63 (which appears to be creating all sorts of issues in VR).

New graphics card.

I had assumed it was just the Quest software update causing the problems but this doesn't explain the failure to load in pancake?

I'm not sure how upgrading from a 3080ti to a 4080 super could be the cause of the issues?

log attached.

Thanks in advance for any help.

dcs.log

in the virtual reality section there are threads about the cause of this with some workarounds that may work. You might have to dig for the info.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

24 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

in the virtual reality section there are threads about the cause of this with some workarounds that may work. You might have to dig for the info.

Thanks - I have had a read and implemented the ones I can but I don't use steam or virtual desktop which appear to be the main solutions.

Doesn't explain pancake crash though.

Regards

39 minutes ago, Michi.G85 said:

Doesnt work for me...
Would be great to fly on the long easter weekend, but no DCS since weeks for me...

There are some zip files among those downloads that need to be extracted, did you do that too? I mention it because I wasn’t sure myself at first

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

On 3/29/2024 at 4:31 PM, WinOrLose said:

Yes and you need to ensure you have no occulus functions running by closing them down in task manager before copying the files across. 

I did all that.  I went into Oculus and disabled automatic updates.  I stopped the Oculus VR Runtime Service.  I copied the downloaded files to the  C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\  path.  And then I rebooted.  It still doesn't work.

Is this the end of DCS working on Meta/Oculus hardware? 

16 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

Likely not. ED have a fix and it's just waiting for the next patch cycle. 

If you can't even load in pancake and the above fix didn't work for you, it's likely you have another problem possibly unrelated to the oculus driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

2 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

I did all that.  I went into Oculus and disabled automatic updates.  I stopped the Oculus VR Runtime Service.  I copied the downloaded files to the  C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\  path.  And then I rebooted.  It still doesn't work.

The only other suggestion I have is to ensure you don't have Public Test Channel enabled in Settings on the Beta tab. If you find it was enabled, when you first disable it it will download an update. Let it do its thing. Bad news is that, if it doesn't work after that, you should probably copy the files you downloaded in the fix back into the relevant folders (oculus-client, oculus-diagnostics and oculus-runtime).

I have no doubt this situation is frustrating, and before I found the fix for the issue I had most recently I was furious (I may have vowed to kick Zuckerberg hard enough to make an outie an innie). However, the silver lining would be that the problem that prevents users loading the game based on the make of headset they have is one that we have a fix for. As ruprecht says, this seems to be a different problem that isn't being experienced broadly, so once you find a fix, hopefully this problem will stay fixed on your system.

Edited by Horns
Added extra detail
  • Thanks 1

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

4 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

No.  ED has a fix (barring a different problem on your end) which should get pushed on Weds. assuming no surprises pop up on their end.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Horns said:

The only other suggestion I have is to ensure you don't have Public Test Channel enabled in Settings on the Beta tab. If you find it was enabled, when you first disable it it will download an update. Let it do its thing. Bad news is that, if it doesn't work after that, you should probably copy the files you downloaded in the fix back into the relevant folders (oculus-client, oculus-diagnostics and oculus-runtime).

I have no doubt this situation is frustrating, and before I found the fix for the issue I had most recently I was furious (I may have vowed to kick Zuckerberg hard enough to make an outie an innie). However, the silver lining would be that the problem that prevents users loading the game based on the make of headset they have is one that we have a fix for. As ruprecht says, this seems to be a different problem that isn't being experienced broadly, so once you find a fix, hopefully this problem will stay fixed on your system.

Public Test Channel was not and is not enabled. 

What is "pancake"?  I mean, I made some for breakfast, but is the usage here referring to normal 2D video mode?  If so, it is true.  I cannot get DCS Open beta 2.9.3.51704 to get past the "15 year" splash screen even with the Oculus Runtime Service stopped.  Last good run of this current DCS version was on March 20th with my Rift S headset...it ran fine, then.  I didn't try it again until March 30th, where it is now, crashing at the 15 year screen.  (And I was already having DCS withdrawal symptoms going 10 days without flying.  Now it's unbearable!  Ha ha.)  I think there was also a Windows update between the 20th and the 30th.  I'm running Windows 11 Home 23H2.  I tried running DCS Repair...didn't help.  

Well, I hope the DCS fix will solve my problem.  Just a few days to wait, I hope.  Thanks for the help, you guys!

37 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

Public Test Channel was not and is not enabled. 

What is "pancake"?  I mean, I made some for breakfast, but is the usage here referring to normal 2D video mode?  If so, it is true.  I cannot get DCS Open beta 2.9.3.51704 to get past the "15 year" splash screen even with the Oculus Runtime Service stopped.  Last good run of this current DCS version was on March 20th with my Rift S headset...it ran fine, then.  I didn't try it again until March 30th, where it is now, crashing at the 15 year screen.  (And I was already having DCS withdrawal symptoms going 10 days without flying.  Now it's unbearable!  Ha ha.)  I think there was also a Windows update between the 20th and the 30th.  I'm running Windows 11 Home 23H2.  I tried running DCS Repair...didn't help.  

Well, I hope the DCS fix will solve my problem.  Just a few days to wait, I hope.  Thanks for the help, you guys!

Sorry I couldn’t offer anything more effective, would have been good to get you up and running before the long weekend ends. Fingers crossed the DCS update gets pushed on Wednesday and it’s the solution to your problem. FTR yes, pancake means flat screen

• Thanks 1

No, I didn´t know about the other zip files. But I switched to Virtual Desktop now (20 Bucks, but ok...) and it works now. If ED already has a fix, they should release it as a hot fix instead of waiting for the next cycle imho.

There are many people out there waiting to join, so its a bit unfair if there is a fix to let them wait. Its at least 2+1  weeks now...

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, Michi.G85 said:

No, I didn´t know about the other zip files. But I switched to Virtual Desktop now (20 Bucks, but ok...) and it works now. If ED already has a fix, they should release it as a hot fix instead of waiting for the next cycle imho.

There are many people out there waiting to join, so its a bit unfair if there is a fix to let them wait. Its at least 2+1  weeks now...

It was not possible to release as a hotfix. But we do have a planned patch on the 3rd of April if all goes to plan. 

thank you 

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 3/31/2024 at 2:32 AM, Horns said:

Sorry I couldn’t offer anything more effective, would have been good to get you up and running before the long weekend ends. Fingers crossed the DCS update gets pushed on Wednesday and it’s the solution to your problem. FTR yes, pancake means flat screen

Thank you!  I wasn't completely without DCS for the weekend, as I have a 2nd PC (no joysticks hooked up to it yet, though) that I use to give friends and relatives rides in multi-crew modules, like the Huey, C-101EB and Mirage F1-BE.  Just hadn't gotten around to the F-15E yet.  Has its own DCS account and its own set of paid scenery and (multi-crew) modules...because that's my understanding of what's required to do multi-crew.  Expensive and rather tedious to set up with people who are not knowledgeable about VR goggles, DCS and aircraft ...but cool when it works!  No one can say I don't do enough to support DCS and 3rd Party Developers. 🙂 Interestingly, DCS works fine on this PC with Windows 10 Home (22H2), Quest2 and the same version of DCS Open Beta.  I'm not sure if it has the same Meta/Oculus update.  I turned off Auto-update as soon as I could.  It said an update began downloading on March 25th.  Didn't say it completed or installed.  Although, it looks like a lot of those same files in the Oculus folder have the 3-25-2024 timestamp, so I think it updated.  Maybe the difference is Win10 vs Win11?  My 2 PC's don't have the same hardware, though, either.  One's an i5-11600K with a Geforce RTX 2060 card.  The one where DCS now doesn't work is the Win11 PC with i7-13700F with a Geforce 4060Ti card.  

So, I was making warbird airshows with the AI piloted A-20s and P-51s in Nevada.  Pretty cool when you put two flights of 4 aircraft in a racetrack pattern at about 500' AGL right over the airport and sit in an open-top Jeep and watch it all from the ramp! 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

Thank you!  I wasn't completely without DCS for the weekend, as I have a 2nd PC (no joysticks hooked up to it yet, though) that I use to give friends and relatives rides in multi-crew modules, like the Huey, C-101EB and Mirage F1-BE.  Just hadn't gotten around to the F-15E yet.  Has its own DCS account and its own set of paid scenery and (multi-crew) modules...because that's my understanding of what's required to do multi-crew.  Expensive and rather tedious to set up with people who are not knowledgeable about VR goggles, DCS and aircraft ...but cool when it works!  No one can say I don't do enough to support DCS and 3rd Party Developers. 🙂 Interestingly, DCS works fine on this PC with Windows 10 Home (22H2), Quest2 and the same version of DCS Open Beta.  I'm not sure if it has the same Meta/Oculus update.  I turned off Auto-update as soon as I could.  It said an update began downloading on March 25th.  Didn't say it completed or installed.  Although, it looks like a lot of those same files in the Oculus folder have the 3-25-2024 timestamp, so I think it updated.  Maybe the difference is Win10 vs Win11?  My 2 PC's don't have the same hardware, though, either.  One's an i5-11600K with a Geforce RTX 2060 card.  The one where DCS now doesn't work is the Win11 PC with i7-13700F with a Geforce 4060Ti card.  

So, I was making warbird airshows with the AI piloted A-20s and P-51s in Nevada.  Pretty cool when you put two flights of 4 aircraft in a racetrack pattern at about 500' AGL right over the airport and sit in an open-top Jeep and watch it all from the ramp! 🙂 

Glad you weren't completely cut off! It is indeed interesting that DCS works on your second rig (and kudos for having two DCS-capable rigs to begin with). Would be great to know if this  crash problem (and the issue with the PTC build this appears to stem from) is specific to Windows 11. At this point I'll reinstall Windows 10 if it means I'm less likely to get issues like this in the future.

Same thing is happening to me... it happened even in 2D... If I delete all my "saved game" folder It works (Thank God I backed up my inputs lol)... up until I click "VR" in the settings menu.  If I don't click that I am fine.  The moment I click "launch in VR" or whatever that's called, it won't load, splash screen then nothing.

2 minutes ago, jeventy26 said:

Same thing is happening to me... it happened even in 2D... If I delete all my "saved game" folder It works (Thank God I backed up my inputs lol)... up until I click "VR" in the settings menu.  If I don't click that I am fine.  The moment I click "launch in VR" or whatever that's called, it won't load, splash screen then nothing.

You have the choice of doing as suggested in the post marked as the solution here, or waiting 24 hours or so - hopefully the next DCS patch will be available then, and that should contain a fix.

Anyone know if the update got delayed?

On 4/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, if you were not aware, yes it was delayed until the 10th.  

Ok, thanks for replying.

Given the circumstances, if users need assistance employing the workaround mentioned in this thread, they are welcome to DM me and I’ll do my best to help.

Edited by Horns
Clarity

FWIW, I can confirm DCS starts for me after the update.

• Thanks 1