How to stop wingmen ejecting?

TED
Go to solution Solved by Lace,

Dies anyone have any good, reliable tips on how to use the ai wingmen more effectively and stop them using fuel so rapidly then ejecting?

This happens on all the modules I use regularly f16, f18, a10c2. 

I've tried slowing to allow them to get into formation early, and calling them in straight after takeoff. In the f16 and 18, when i release them to engage ground targets, they seem to possibly fly around in ab and very quickly call bingo, then eject. I still have 3000lbs fuel remaining in the f16.

While flying a fairly short mission in the caucuses with the a10c2, full fuel in my aircraft and wingman. After 10 mins he calls ejecting. There is no threat anywhere nearby so its not possible he's been hit. I flew it again after and this time he managed to stay in the seat.

Either way this happens very often, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips to better manage this, both in flight and maybe even in mission editor. I'm assuming in the f16 and f18 they just burn around in ab unnecessarily when unsupervised, but as for the a10 I can't think of how or why they'd just bang out.

6 minutes ago, TED said:

Dies anyone have any good, reliable tips on how to use the ai wingmen more effectively and stop them using fuel so rapidly then ejecting?

This happens on all the modules I use regularly f16, f18, a10c2. 

I've tried slowing to allow them to get into formation early, and calling them in straight after takeoff. In the f16 and 18, when i release them to engage ground targets, they seem to possibly fly around in ab and very quickly call bingo, then eject. I still have 3000lbs fuel remaining in the f16.

While flying a fairly short mission in the caucuses with the a10c2, full fuel in my aircraft and wingman. After 10 mins he calls ejecting. There is no threat anywhere nearby so its not possible he's been hit. I flew it again after and this time he managed to stay in the seat.

Either way this happens very often, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips to better manage this, both in flight and maybe even in mission editor. I'm assuming in the f16 and f18 they just burn around in ab unnecessarily when unsupervised, but as for the a10 I can't think of how or why they'd just bang out.

That think has a issue from the times of LOMAC / FC times, the AI normaly has more "agresive" ussing the engine and the fuel has depleted. Expected the future GMF will change them.

Meanwhile, put a track and mission.

• Solution

It was requested a while ago, and I think there is an 'Unlimited Fuel for Wingman' option now, which alleviates some of the most frustrating catchup>bingo>ejecting typical wingman scenarios.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

28 minutes ago, Lace said:

It was requested a while ago, and I think there is an 'Unlimited Fuel for Wingman' option now, which alleviates some of the most frustrating catchup>bingo>ejecting typical wingman scenarios.

Ah perfect. I had not noticed that but it will almost certainly solve the issue until a more permanent ai upgrade and fix comes along. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 12:52 PM, TED said:

Always watch for your wingman, never leave them behind too far.

After take off don't go over 300kias, put a hold circle nearby or slowly climb waiting for the rest of your flight. Try not to go over 90-95% MIL as lead when you're all in formation. Cruise at high alt, don't speed when not necessary.

When giving them orders try to keep track of them, just general SA of where they are and what they do, and whenever you deem their tasks complete wait nearby and order them to join again. Continue the flight when you all are in formation.

If possible let them go to a tanker before longer mission and before longer rtb. If you hear "Bingo fuel" from anyone, let them either go to a tanker immediately or rtb.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, Blinde said:

Where can I find this 'Unlimited Fuel for Wingman'?

Added in Nov 2023 DCS update:

NEW: Advanced Waypoint Action for Unlimited Fuel Option for AI. Please note the task must be at the top of Advanced Waypoint Actions list to make sure it works properly.

In Mission Editor click the AI aircraft, select first waypoint, click Advanced... and add the option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The unlimited fuel trigger just might be a mandatory one for any moderate or more length mission. Not just for wingmen, but AI in general. I've noticed strike fighters refusing to drop bombs because of fuel when their range would extend significantly by dropping the bombs and becoming lighter. The AI as now simply cannot fly efficiently.

That said if you're looking to conserve fuel without setting it to unlimited always do the following:

-Formation set to group close, the tighter the formation the less fuel AI will use during turns.

-Fly high, optimum altitude varies with plane, but higher is generally more efficient. Over 30,000 feet for jet fighters.

-Plan your route. Not only waypoint, also plan for orbits. Your AI wingmen will respect orbits you create in the mission planner and I've noticed that they can't use mil power for planner orbit that require AB when order to hold position through the radio. It doesn't make sense, but it happens.

-Keep your wingmen out of combat. The AI seems to do OK in cruise. In combat they use ludicrous amounts of fuel.

-If performing AAR, refuel yourself first. If you refuel first then the AI have more fuel to spend flying instead of flying formation with you at the tanker.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files