What to do at the burble?

Couple of questions:

1. I read the burble simulated in DCS is activated with the turbulence option in the ME. Is this still true today?

2. When I approach the stern, the E bracket dips momentarily (pitch up) due to the burble. But does it always cause a pitch upwards only?

3. I've watched a few real life F18 HUD view carrier landings on YouTube and noticed this E bracket dipping also, though not in all cases. What should the pilot do at the burble? Ignore it?

Thanks!  

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
TM Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home x64 | 
My HOTAS Profiles

I don't have a 'proper' way of dealing with this. Normally I anticipate it and need to drop the power slightly in order to catch the arrester wires. This seems to always lead to a EGIW penalty against me.

I'm probably doing it wrong though, so I'm going to be very interested to see the response to this one. 

• Like 1

Current ED burble modeling is a bit questionable on strength/location. The F-14's in-house burble is more realistic. Thus for now I turn the wake turbulence off (which also helps general CPU performance as multiple aircraft+wake turbulence=slideshow).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Current ED burble modeling is a bit questionable on strength/location. The F-14's in-house burble is more realistic. Thus for now I turn the wake turbulence off (which also helps general CPU performance as multiple aircraft+wake turbulence=slideshow).

Landing with about 33,000lbs, 21 kts wind reciprocal to BRC, turbulence (discussed here) set at '19', I get quite a noticeable float and pitch up. Kind of messes up the final secs for me. Sometimes I feel like my landings are more like I landed near the stern, then rolled along on 3 wheels and happened to catch a wire. (I'd have to review the track to see if that indeed happened.)  

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
My HOTAS Profiles

7 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Landing with about 33,000lbs, 21 kts wind reciprocal to BRC, turbulence (discussed here) set at '19', I get quite a noticeable float and pitch up. Kind of messes up the final secs for me. Sometimes I feel like my landings are more like I landed near the stern, then rolled along on 3 wheels and happened to catch a wire. (I'd have to review the track to see if that indeed happened.)  

Same impressions.  Coming from the F-14, the F-18 burble seems to be extremely strong. I barely noticed it on the F-14, but here, I experience exactly the float and pitch. I mostly catch the wire anyway, but it feels relatively overmodelled.

• Like 1

Some real world F18 carrier landings HUD view.

This one with quite a bit of burble I presume.

This one with what seems like little to no burble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My HOTAS Profiles

2 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Some real world F18 carrier landings HUD view.

This one with quite a bit of burble I presume.

This one with what seems like little to no burble.

Interesting. 

Does the DCS burble depend on factors such as wind, carrier speed, or is it random, or constant?

In DCS, the landing gear in the F/A-18C is now much more fragile than what it was just a few months ago. Previously, you could slam down onto the deck and into the arrester wires! The worst-case scenario would be that the jet would bounce, your hook would go right over the wires, and you would Bolter. I fly with a few guys, and this was obviously their technique; come in high and just chop the power. Now, with recent updates to the game, they would bust the gear and/or bust the gear as well as bolter.

The flip side to that type of high vertical approach would be to attempt the trap utilizing a very shallow rate of decent. What happens with this technique is that the jet hits the burble and then float over the wires for the Bolter.  I've yet to break any gear but have floated across the wires on an occasion, or three! 

Ideally, the Hornet wants to land at a 3 1/2 degree angle of decent. Give it a try. See if that is not the sweet spot that pushes the jet right down through that burble such that it has negligible effect on your landing. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Was causing me some issue trying to retrain - coming in just a little high ( meatball maybe halfway up the top half of the FLOS overlay if you're using that ) & aiming a little shorter than before seems to be doing the trick, the float seems to arrest the ROD enough - although I'm years out of practice so I'm not exactly accurate yet. Not something to do if you're borderline on weight though, I was a bit surprised to break a gear but then realised I was pretty much fully loaded...

Edit: tried trapping a F-5 on the same training mission I've been using ( fair bit of turbulence ) - aside from needing a shallow approach so I don't just smash the gear to pieces, it went straight to the deck without any deviation. OK, so it's got tiny wings, but that doesn't stop it getting thrown around in turbulence still...

Edited by Richard Dastardly
  • Thanks 1

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

On 5/8/2024 at 10:45 PM, AG-51_Skeet said:

Ideally, the Hornet wants to land at a 3 1/2 degree angle of decent. Give it a try. See if that is not the sweet spot that pushes the jet right down through that burble such that it has negligible effect on your landing. 

would 3 1/2 deg be the same as the ILS glideslope?

My HOTAS Profiles

I think it fair to say, you really should not take anyone's word for it off an internet forum if it is truly important to you.  Do some research to satisfy yourself.

I would clip Page 34 & 35 of the Super Carrier Operations Manual and paste it here but this gaming computer is giving me issues??!. The Operations Manual is a free download should you like to view it. These two pages discuss the LSO and radio calls to the pilot when inside 3/4 mile. "Your High", "Your Low, POWER"; these radio calls to the pilot are both in reference to a 3.5* glideslope which coincides with the pictural graphic on the page. 

Further, with regards to the ACLS and having the computer systems of the jet land itself, here is a YouTube video that DCS put out.  If you do not want to watch the whole thing, a quick advance to 19:00 will take you to the point where the ACLS system fly's the glideslope right down to the carrier deck; it appears to be almost perfectly a 3.5* angle of decent on the pitch ladder upon the HUD.