Meet and Greet

Just wanted say a proper hello to everyone. I've had the A-10C module for years but never really got to play it due to not having a very good computer. I have one now that should be able to play it fairly well.  I was big into Sims in mid 90's with the last one I truly played was the Janes F-15E strike eagle. 

I've been a huge aviation buff since I was a kid and joined the Air Force out of high school and work on the ejections seats in F-15C/D/E models, now I do the same thing as a civilian. Over my career I've work on the QF-4E/G and QRF-4C and now the F-16. I watched some videos over the holidays the restarted my interest in DCS and want to learn about flying Sims well and getting the full experience of these amazing games. Well anywho,  nice to meet yall. Happy Hunting!

• Like 3

I'm Dave in San Diego. Retired from 25 years in IT, now working part-time (hopefully fully retired soon) and doing news photography part time. (I did this full time for about 10 years a long time ago.) I was in the Navy for four years, based at NAS North Island, flying as a sensor operator (SENSO) in S-3A Vikings, two deployments aboard USS Carl Vinson. My call sign was, and is now, Slo-Mo. (Anxiously awaiting nicer a Viking 3D model, and hopeful that the CVN-70 carrier will be fully functional). I'm a volunteer docent at the USS Midway Museum, so if you're ever in San Diego let me know. I can bring up to three guests for free. (davidabarak@gmail.com)

I should be getting Thrustmaster pedals and a Winwing throttle and stick for the Hornet, which is pretty much the only thing I fly. (I did buy the F-16 and F-86 planes.) And for the record, I absolutely suck at carrier landings and any mission involving SAM sites.

Dave

Edited by DaveSD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey all! Name's Will. I'm new around the forum, but I've been playing DCS ever since the A-10C and Black Shark modules were standalone. I'm mostly singleplayer only, but am hoping to start branching out into online pretty soon. I'm currently working on building an A-10 cockpit, which has taken the better part of 2 years to (mostly) complete, and I promised myself that I wouldn't fly again until it's finished. So, being that it's taken so long, I'm fairly rusty. Luckily, the muscle memory is starting to come back.

As far as IRL goes, my day job is a Firefighter for the USAF, currently stationed in the frozen north that is Minot, ND. I'm in the process of obtaining my private pilot license, but have taken a brief break for the holiday to let the wallet recover.

Anyways, it's nice to meet y'all, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in the virtual skies!

• Like 3

A-10C | FC3 | P-51D | CA | BS2 | UH-1H | F/A-18C | SA342 | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | F-5E | AH-64D | BS3 | F-15E

Too Many Modules, Not Enough Time

AMD 7950X | ROG X670E HERO | RTX 3080 | 64GB DDR5 6000 | 1 TB 980 M.2 NVMe | 16TB (4+4+8) WD BLACK HDD

Got DCS 3 years ago, flew just a bit and quit (performance was terrible in VR)

25 years plus flight simmmer, real pilot for 14 years.

Just got back  into WWII DCS.

So far  playing single player a P51D campaign. Flight modelling IMHO the best of any sim out there, entering a spin really feels like the real thing, airplane feel like they have weight, and torque. very immersive, finally a sim that feels what is like to fly an airplane, was enjoying it so much no need to do time compression, flew  across the channel and back, radio is immersive too, in VR with the Varjo and 4090 looks amazing!

The clouds and water look realistic

Learning curve not too bad , take off and landings are still a bit easier than real life, but not boring.

Damage Model,  good (flaps damage from flak) and not so good on other aspects, on mission #2 my right wing had 2 very big holes caused by flak, I could let go the stick and the plane was flying hands off straight and level, which seems to be those holes did not add any drag.

AI as bad as IL2? 😆 Need more missions to have a better idea, at least its not as easy to shoot down planes as in IL2 where you finish each mission with 5 or 7 kills no problem.

Having problems being able to save my VR settings, no matter what I do, they cannot be saved.

• Like 2

Brand new to DCS, but have leapt into the deep end, and built a new PC just for the game. Normally a Mac person, but obviously need Windows for this.

Background. Now retired, but a pilot for my whole career. Flew the A-4G for the Royal Australian Navy, and then the 767, 747-200/300/400, and A380.

Had to set up a 'sim pit', as I found the ergonomics of controls on a desk to be too off-putting. So, now I have the Next Level Racing Boeing cockpit, with the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and joystick, and the TPR pedals. Feels quite real.

The computer is a 5600X Ryzen, with 32gb of RAM, and 1TB nvme SSD. I was given a 1080 card initially (son's cast off), and that has since been changed to a 2080ti (another cast off). Currently running a 4k 43" TV, which works much better than I expected, but I can see a 4080 and 43" monitor in the future plans. Track IR works better than I imagined it would. I like the idea of moving to VR, but that's something else for the future.

• Like 4

Hey All,

Been into PC flight sims since Janes ATF. I like to fly the spitfire, F16, and the Apache, both as gunner and pilot. I am PKP_Cooler#3266 on discord and have a multiplayer server. Feel free to DM me I will add you. I fly 8pm EST every night usually. See you in the Skies!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, MRZ_CRZ said:

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Kya, I absolutely love anything aviation related...particularly fast jets! I've been attending air shows with my Dad since the age of 6 & I aspire to be a pilot. I've had a couple of flying lessons in the real world but have recently embarked on the task of learning the ropes of DCS World. I've just taken delivery of my HP Reverb G2 & I'm taking baby steps towards learning the many controls of the F-18! Looking to make some friends whilst on this journey of flying in the world of VR

Another huge passion in my life is for cars, particularly for my Honda CR-Z! Attending car shows with her has become one of my favourite pastimes, not to mention the painstaking hours that go into detailing her in preparation.

Looking forward to getting better acquainted with you all!

Kya

Hi Kya!

I've had some experience of flying in my time with some terrific instructors, one thing I know for sure, if you want to be good at it, you'll gain a lot by taking an exam for a  starter grand and fly gliders first.

It will give you an expended sense of air and make a more natural and instinctive pilot when you get into powered aircraft.

Flight simulation if fun but it doesn't give you any of that, air is a natural element, it is alive and interact with us in a permanent way, not in simulations, since gliders are taking full advantage of the element they are in my opinion, the best way to start.

Have fun and fly safe.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Greetings!

LONG time simmer and recently new to the DCS World.  So far I am loving the F/A 18 and awaiting the F-15E like many others.

I am running the stable version and seem to be having issues adding new skins.  Some videos say put in my SAVED GAMES folder others say BAZAR folder.  I've tried both ways to no avail.  Or perhaps they do not appear when one is flying in MULTI-PLAYER?  Hmmmm...

Anyway... see y'all up there!

• Like 1

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060; Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core; 32GB RAM; 1TB HD

7 hours ago, DonRumsey said:

I am running the stable version and seem to be having issues adding new skins.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/lyr7wh/how_to_install_skins_for_dcs/

Put skins in, ie.: "C:\Users\xxxx\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\FA-18C_hornet". If "FA-18C_hornet" folder don't exist, create one.

Every plane in "Liveries" has to have a correct named folder. The correct name can be found here, ie.: "C:\DCS World\CoreMods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\FA-18C_hornet". That's were your default F-18 skins are.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hello all, I've been going to Military air shows with my dad ever since I was young. I've been into simulators since Commodore 64 e.g. F19 Stealth and Gunship etc, then Amiga 500 with Original Falcon, through to Gunship 2000, then a big break to play all the Playstation era ... I remember being on the UBI website back in 2003 for Original Ghost Recon and seeing Lockon advertised, turned into an instant buy. I also remember talking to the likes of Stormin on the forums and logging into Hyperlobby. Memories! Here I am today with Eagle Dynamics 🙂 

• Like 3

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Hello folks. I am a U.S. Navy veteran from the 1990's (long live the Tomcat!) who currently works in the aerospace industry and makes videos. I was pretty big into flight sims of the era (Jane's, Falcon 4.0, etc.) until they died off. Haven't played any since, but recently got turned on to DCS from Growling Sidewinder (How did YouTube know?!). I knew of DCS for a while, but never made a move until a week ago when I got DCS and the Logitech X56. I honestly didn't think I would have time considering my work plus my video hobby, but the urge to get back in the saddle even for a little bit was too much to resist. I figured I could use it to my advantage and hopefully make it the best of both worlds by getting experience and making some videos. It's going to be a long journey, but any sim worth it's salt is not easy. What I've seen from DCS has been quite impressive, and I love the library of aircraft and landscapes available. I'd like to find a good group of people to get in with to learn and share some memorable experiences. Purchased FC3, and will probably get more stuff this weekend when I have the chance. Hope to catch some of you in the skies.

• Like 3

I am back for the third time as I recently got a decent flight stick. I already own the A10 A, but the user made tutorial missions no longer work. Well, they load, it's just that they're glitchy. Example: in the cold start taxi and takeoff lesson, I can't close the cockpit. The canopy (shift C) simply does not work. Even if I map it to something else it will not work. It works if I do a regular mission and cold start there.

So I downloaded a couple of tests planes. The user made tutorials for the F15 C seem to be really good so far, so I'll probably wind up getting it to learn on and then transfer what I learn over to the A10 A later on.

So my first question is: does DCS have any regular sales? If so are any coming up soon? Reason I ask is if they have a sale next month I can wait till then to buy rather than buying now and basically wasting money. I did that in War Thunder - bought a plane for 50 bucks and two weeks later it went on sale for half off.

Second question: are there any servers that are just flight testing? I don't know how to create missions yet and I want to just practice starting up, taking off, flying around a bit and landing and other than the tutorial I don't see a way to do that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 minutes ago, Gomez Adams said:

Example: in the cold start taxi and takeoff lesson, I can't close the cockpit. The canopy (shift C) simply does not work.

There was a similar issue in the A-10C, but that was fixed some patches ago. Make sure you use the Left Shift key though, DCS does differentiate between left and right modifier keys.

11 minutes ago, Gomez Adams said:

So my first question is: does DCS have any regular sales? If so are any coming up soon?

Yes, there are regular sales. I think the spring sale or the Easter sale might be up next. If you search the news announcements, you can quickly find when they held sales in previous years. Might be one or two or three months from now, but is probably worth the wait. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Gomez Adams said:

Second question: are there any servers that are just flight testing?

Not sure; look for anything with "Free Flight" in its name.

There are definitely aerobatics servers where using weapons is strictly prohibited. Just don't be surprised when some random dude starts joining up on your wing to fly in formation with you. 😄

• Like 2

I may have typed it wrong here but in game it works everywhere except the tutorial for the A10A.

I've had some other issues with the A10A as well, like the camera center doesn't work. It works everywhere else, but not on that aircraft. It's like they simply let the A10A just die because a lot of it doesn't work at all.

It works on the other planes, but not it. Maybe they figured since the A10 C came out nobody flies the old A anymore.

Edited by Gomez Adams

5 hours ago, basto40 said:

By default the keys for opening or close canopy is NOT : Left shift+C..

It's : Left CTRL +C

Good catch! 👍

2 hours ago, Gomez Adams said:

Maybe they figured since the A10 C came out nobody flies the old A anymore.

The A-10C has been available for over 10 years. If the A-10A had been abandoned since then, you'd probably not be the first one to find out... 😉

Regarding the issues at hand, there's a dedicated part of the forum for the A-10A, it's probably best to continue this discussion over there.

17 hours ago, Gomez Adams said:

It's like they simply let the A10A just die because a lot of it doesn't work at all.

Please, don't spread misinformation and conspiracy theories. A-10A works fine. The tutorials often work only with default keybinds.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

Please, don't spread misinformation and conspiracy theories. A-10A works fine. The tutorials often work only with default keybinds.

First off, there are no tutorials that come with the A10A.

There are some I downloaded from the user place that I tried to use. I am also using all the default key binds. The only reason I tried to change it to close the cockpit canopy and center the camera is because they are not working in those tutorials. I clearly stated that the close the cockpit canopy works just fine outside of those tutorials, but the center camera does not.

How about not spread misinformation and conspiracy theories about what I actually said.

• Like 1