Heavy Overcast Layer - Maybe 1.5K feet thick down to 200 feet AGL or less...

Go to solution Solved by draconus,

Greetings to all!

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success concocting an overcast layer to navigate over and descend through.  In my case I'm using the F16 which is equipped very well and includes performance and capability to match. It works too!

Typical thick overcast layer.  Navigate around on top as necessary, drop the gear, get on speed and Intercept the localizer.  Pick up the glide slope, speed brakes out and descend into the MUCK. Zero visibility all the way down.  it may be necessary to break minimums; fuel is low!  Watch the altimeter unwind ... break out and land. Hopefully. 

Add wind and rain, etc.  Would be lots of fun. But I just can't seem come up with a good combination that replicates this sort of thing in the real world.  FOG doesn't seem to have any thickness or clear area underneath and seems to be mostly low visibility at ground level.

Overcast layers like this are actually a fairly common weather phenomenon.

As usual, any and all comments are certainly appreciated!

jda8818

• Solution

You can still use old settings for the weather and achieve it. Just select "nothing" in the new clouds preset, then use settings below. Just be aware of some artifacts that can show up.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX4070S   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria