CVN-70 Vinson

Coyote

Ok so the next DCS aircraft is f18 X/X

I doubt they want to model this with high fidelity just to see him sink.

Would be a dream come true, but there's no guarantees. There was an S-300 (is that right?) model earlier made with incredible detail and care... and that's more or less made to blow up.

If you want to get really accurate, don't forget about the main purpose of the CVN - it's Air Wing.

First of all, by the time the first A-10C ever took to the air, the Navy had unfortunately retired their last F-14 Tomcat, (prematurely, I know.) The only F-14's left flying in the air from then on and at the same time period as an A-10C, are from Iran. If the final release candidate comes with USN F-14's and not F/A-18E/F's, it sure is going to stick out like big sore thumb to all those particularly interested in the levels of detail that DCS: A-10C goes into.

Last November, CVW-17 embarked upon the Vinson and it's comprised of the following:

VFA-22 - F/A-18F Super Hornets

VFA-25 - F/A-18C Hornets

VFA-81 - F/A-18E Super Hornets

VFA-113 - F/A-18C Hornets

VAW-125 - E-2C Hawkeye (E-2D's are coming online, and even C models are being upgraded with eight bladed props)

VAQ-134 - EA-6B Prowler (soon to be retired for EA-18G's)

VRC-40 - C-2A Greyhounds

HS-15 - SH-60F/HH-60H

Great hi-rez photo of the main island while on recent ops (2010) supporting Haiti...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/US_Navy_100115-N-4774B-898_The_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Carl_Vinson_%28CVN_70%29_shown_operating_off_the_coast_of_Haiti.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte P55-USB3

Intel i7-870 with 8 GB DDR3-1333

nVidia GeForce 470 GTX 1280mb RAM

SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm reposting but I've searched through 80 pages on militaryphotos.net. Here is what I found on search name "Vinson".

cvn702.jpg

cvn701.jpg

110126-N-7981E-365.jpg

cvn702.jpg

101022-N-8040H-094.jpg

101204-N-2055M-312.jpg

101212-N-2953W-110.jpg

100628-N-5049H-269.jpg

100717-N-9983H-026.jpg

100405-N-5049H-844.jpg

100328-N-4774B-076.jpg

Not sure what aircraft carrier this is taken from but from the pictures above the Vinson looks to have the same system.

24l8pee.jpg

Edited by JaNk0
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:P

Btw - Is it only me or are the two 'Runways' on those carriers basically the same size, notwithstanding the obvious discrepancy in Water Displacement.

Point of reference the USS George Washington CVN-73 is 1344 feet from bow to stern. The landing area is 844 feet long. The F/A-18 can start at the tail and do a take off run with out a catapult on the angle deck. On the catapult the F?A-18 outruns the shuttle by the end of the shot.

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is an info post rather than more pics (using pics already posted)

The flight deck is not the main deck. That is actually the 03 level. The main deck is the hangar bay deck. Decks below the main deck do not have the "0" at the beginning. Decks above do.

The platform I have circled on the first pic is the ESM/ECM antenna (AN/ALQ-32(V)4). It's on the 08 level. All antenna platforms have the stanchion rails that sit in front of the antenna stowed (ie not installed) when the ship is underway. So make a note to not model the rails installed on the final model. Small detail, but one that every other model I have seen in other games seems to be in error on.

Also, for interior modeling purposes (if there are any) there is a passageway on the port side we call "Broadway" as it goes almost completely from keel to stern on the 02 level. I can't remember just where it ends at the forward end of the ship as I rarely went past my equipment room (ECM #1).

While the passageway can be made watertight, many of us felt it was a bad design decision to give that much access to spread-style damage to such an important level of the ship. Arresting wire break rooms are on the 02 level. Catapult break rooms are on the 02 level. The combat information center (CIC), ATC, all squadron ready rooms, and several other flight ops/combat control work centers are also on the 02 level.

For a nice touch, there's a set of four small berthing areas on the 01 level underneath the island superstructure.

Unfortunately, I didn't carry a camera with me on the years I was stationed aboard a Nimitz Class. Now, if you ever need some good photos of the LHD class, lemme know :D

vinson.JPG.ec843c5ffa9e1a841b53269051c21095.JPG

broadway.jpg.b1a05fcae3553cbe287e7f36c41e0d1d.jpg

Edited by Total

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I was stationed on that boat from 1998-2002 (WEPS Depart / G-1 DIV). Did two WESTPAC cruises, ate the terrible food, stood countless hours of armed watch standing on the brow and seen more of the Persian Gulf / Arabian Sea than I would have liked. :cry:

I've had my fill of the "Chucky V"... let's do the USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74) instead. What do ya say? :thumbup:

AO1 (AW/SW) USN from 1997-2005

Disabled Veteran of OEF