y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

M0216MD-162MDBR2-j_front.jpg

M0216MD-162MDBR2-j_front_LRG.jpg

US$35 according to the website:

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22_131 (Digikey: £40.59 for the UK, or US$45 for the US...you guys have it so good).

Looking at the actual image a few pages back, it looks like the bottom row of characters are actually slightly smaller than the top. Producers note #2 shows the same thing :/

• Like 1

This is PERFECT! Way to go obotNapalm, rep from me. The size 3.25x0.75" is just about perfect for my cutout (3.25x0.8125), I don't think I'll even need to adjust the cutout size. I'm going to order one of these and start interfacing it with Arduino. Hopefully one of the existing libraries will already work with it.

D'oh! it's always the pcb behind the display that ruins things. 4.8" width is too big, doesn't look like this display will work after all. At first I thought the "display area" was the whole screen space, but now I see there is quite a bit of unused screen space around the edges not included in those dimensions, and overall width is 122mm which would extend far past the left side of the panel.

D'oh! it's always the pcb behind the display that ruins things. 4.8" width is too big, doesn't look like this display will work after all. At first I thought the "display area" was the whole screen space, but now I see there is quite a bit of unused screen space around the edges not included in those dimensions, and overall width is 122mm which would extend far past the left side of the panel.

Yeah, it's an innate defect for VFD's, the clearance is built to house wiring. I'm desparately searching for an OLED that will fit. No luck at the moment.

Right console panels

I found some time to wrap up the panels on the right console

Annunciator panel, kind of boring until it lights up!

Annunciator_Panel.png

EGI Panel, for lack of a better term...

EGI_Panel.png

TACAN Panel

TACAN_Panel.png

ILS Panel

ILS_Panel.png

Compass Panel... this may actually get some use in the sim due to the Nevada terrain for training, and Crimea region for combat being at different latitudes, provided magnetic errors are actually simulated in DCS.

Compass_Panel.png

Oxygen panel, who knows if I'll ever use it, or if it's just for looks

Oxygen_Panel.png

And now the more or less finished right console. I've also started modeling the center pedestal and instrument panel.

A-10C_Pit_05.png

• Like 1

No doubt it looks awesome! When you have cut the holes, do you know which switches you will use?

I know its not 'home built' but neither are hotas couger and mfds! But if anyone is interested or has used Control Devices, provided you dont break copyright and have the poke, you can get some replica's!

Button set

Thanks!

No doubt it looks awesome! When you have cut the holes, do you know which switches you will use?

I do know which switches I'll be using. Luckily, most switches available out there use standard panel mount cutouts. Most heavy-duty toggles use a 5/32" diameter hole for panel mounting. Pots with a 1/4" shaft usually use a 3/8" hole. Rotary encoders and mini-toggle switches use a 1/4" hole. For panel mounted pushbuttons, I'm not sure about a standard size so I'm just going with what I've got.

I know its not 'home built' but neither are hotas couger and mfds! But if anyone is interested or has used Control Devices, provided you dont break copyright and have the poke, you can get some replica's!
This went over my head, or under it, or to the side. In any case, it missed my head.

Great progress y2kiah

- Dont you ever sleep ? LOL

Whats you plan to how to control the "Mag needle" on the COMP panel ?

Gus

Sleep is for wimps :) .. No I've just been good about working on it when I have some free time, rather than get distracted and do something else. I figure I better get as much done as I can while the motivation is with me.

No plan yet for the mag needle. What does it do, point to either the +, - or middle? I have a suspicion that DCS will automatically have the compass synced for the area you are flying, so there won't be a need for it to work. In that case I'll just put a printed card in there or something, for looks. But, you never know, it's always possible to implement later on.

On another note, a couple of you have expressed interest in getting a set of FMS buttons. I started working on the CAM for the button set. As you can see below, I will cut out all of the buttons required in the cockpit in one shot, then paint, then engrave. The buttons are 9.6x9.6mm to fit in a 10mm cutout, and will be made from acrylic. If you use a 6mm tact switch for each one, there will be room between each switch for a small LED to provide back-lighting to the buttons.

There are 5 panels with these buttons; the CDU, two MFDs, EWMU, upfront EW, and the upfront panel below the HUD. 153 buttons total. If anyone else is interested in the full set, PM me. Here is a render of the cutout pattern.

Buttons.png

Edited by y2kiah
more information
  • Like 1

.. What does it do, point to either the +, - or middle? .

As far I know it shows the diff between the HARS attitudesystem and input from magnetic sensors. Agree it a kinda "neerd" thing to to implement and likely not used in the sim :-)

I plan to use a amp meter needle just for the fun of it :doh:just in case it might be useful in the future

For the knobs... PM inbound

Cheers

Gus

• Like 1

- - - -

So I know Gus has shared some of his cad drawings with me before but have you guys ever thought of setting up a repository of them on the WEB so that we end up with a whole set out there? I guess next to the F-16 this plane will end up being one of the most homebuilt planes around

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I need a "Fall/Winter 2010" project while waiting for DCS:A-10 and would love to have a set of plans for y2kiah's pit so I can start work - even if its just for the core pit. I can add panels as time and money become available. Just say where the line starts and how much for the "Dimensional Plan Set"!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I know Gus has shared some of his cad drawings with me before but have you guys ever thought of setting up a repository of them on the WEB so that we end up with a whole set out there? I guess next to the F-16 this plane will end up being one of the most homebuilt planes around

Hi Shu

Got my ones on http://www.strandedduckling.com/html/quad_ref.html but be sure to read the 'disclaimer' notes also. I tend to update things as I go along and quality of'em leaves some to be desired :-)

Some quads and instrumentation missing still (haven't start working on them yet :music_whistling: or lack updates until the Quads been folly made)

I don't got access to a CNC so I use the old fashion method instead http://www.strandedduckling.com/html/panel_making_tutorial__1.html#PanTutPage :pilotfly:

Cheers

Gus

- - - -

Main panel and stuff

Quick update on the pit design progress

Here with an optional canopy structure I may consider building

A-10C_Pit_06.png

And here without that piece

A-10C_Pit_07.png

I found this ACES II with pilot model and threw it in there to give some perspective on the scale of the pit. You may notice cutouts in the center pedestal near the feet. I plan to mount my rudder pedals within the pedestal.

A-10C_Pit_09.png

I also fooled around with some ideas for visuals. Here is one with a 50" screen providing forward view, and 22" monitors on either side.

A-10C_Pit_08.png

Main instrument panel showing some cutouts, and the stepped mounting surface. There are some very very thin edges created on this piece after cutouts, so I would not trust MDF or wood for this piece. I will probably fabricate the stepped section as a single piece from some type of rigid plastic. If not that, I'll bond several layers of plastic to achieve the final structure. Once the piece is built, it will mount right onto the flat instrument panel, which must also have cutouts.

Main_Panel_01.png

Main_Panel_02.png

My plan for the ADI and HSI is to make them into an electronic ADI and EHSI. The center step is just big enough to fit a 5" LCD for each instrument, rotated 90 degrees. I'll want these instruments to look like real life EFIS displays, so I won't be trying to display a representation of the actual instruments on the monitors. Call it a fictional future EFIS update to the A-10C fleet.

No short term plans right now to set up a web repository. It may be something I'll think about doing after the pit is built and I have no other projects to work on. Besides, Gus already has an excellent website that basically has all of this already.

I need a "Fall/Winter 2010" project while waiting for DCS:A-10 and would love to have a set of plans for y2kiah's pit so I can start work - even if its just for the core pit. I can add panels as time and money become available. Just say where the line starts and how much for the "Dimensional Plan Set"!

If there is enough interest, I would consider putting together a set of plans for my tub. I think I need to build it before I'll know if it's worthy of distribution.

IFF Panel round 2

Changed my mind about the thumbwheel switches on this panel. The switches I was originally going to use are too small. It looks a lot closer to the real deal now. The EECO 1976 series switches will work very well for this panel, and the 1776 series will work well for the TISL panel. I'm still not exactly sure how I will mount these switches on this panel. The "quick connect" panel mount brackets can't be used here, so I'm thinking they will have to be back mounted on a perf board set on standoffs. The thing I'm worried most about are the thumbwheels extending above the panel. I'm not sure they will with the EECO switches. If not, I'll have to cut out an opening for the whole thing and accept that it doesn't look like the real panel.

Mode 1 has 32 codes, so in octal the highest code is 37, meaning the first switch should be 0-3 and the second 0-7. Not sure if the real panel's switch is 0-3. Deadman, Gus, maybe one of you knows?

IFF_Panel_2.png