Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

diecastbg

Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List  

4719 members have voted

1. 1. Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

I'd make the argument that while you can say they're fairly 'generic' with a few exceptions, the F-15E is the superpowered version of the three

Agreed, that's why I separated the F-15E out and in an earlier post mentioned that I hope it's the one coming up next out of the given options.

1) Classification level for the F-15E is still pretty high on a few things, as it's still undergoing *very* active modding and upgrading. While the A-10 finally got the A-10C to 'modernize' them, the F-15Es in the past four years have undergone at least two extensive modifications.

Well, I guess the precise capabilities and behaviour of some systems are what's really being classified here. The computer simulation can only go so far to approximate the real world conditions as it basically simulates the end result of these systems as presented to the user and not their real life operation (e.g. it doesn't simulate the radar by a real time physics simulation of EM wave propagation in space and bouncing back of in game objects).

The potential problem with this classification and the DCS platform selection being based on real world contracts is that we might get an F-15E from 1998 or smth, an A-10C from 2007+, a Su-27 from the late 80s, etc. which IMHO goes against the DCS concept of integrating these platforms in a somewhat realistic multiplayer experience.

2) The USAF may very well be in need for an F-15E simulator / trainer. I'll mention that the most up-to-date computer-based simulator I've seen and used by the USAF for the F-15E is made by Boeing, and it's extremely poor. There's no cockpit to hit switches, only bare minimum. No emergency procedures or anything, it's basically just a bare-bones drop-bombs-on-Vegas trainer. Given the active development of the F-15E I would not be surprised to see demand for a trainer program.

That's a bit odd considering that Boeing seemed to have something much more advanced for the F/A-18E (they had this computer based simulator in Dubai Air Show with a full single seat cockpit and HOTAS and a rounded projector based display covering some 120 degrees or so; unfortunately, I'm only guessing to how detailed it was as I only glanced over it on the way to the flight program outside and they usually closed up the simulator by the time the show was done). It's not that they're not selling the F-15E versions, too.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess the precise capabilities and behaviour of some systems are what's really being classified here. The computer simulation can only go so far to approximate the real world conditions as it basically simulates the end result of these systems as presented to the user and not their real life operation (e.g. it doesn't simulate the radar by a real time physics simulation of EM wave propagation in space and bouncing back of in game objects).

You don't really need to simulate that physics that much. Yes, it gives you 'more', but you can cheat and achieve a reasonable effect anyway. Now, will someone take care to model processing failure rates (which aren't known), ECM/ECCM (which we can guess at, but are complex and will lead to whining), and things like IFF echoes or LOS issues? Maybe. It's just that all this stuff, even when cheating, is complicated. Really complicated.

The potential problem with this classification and the DCS platform selection being based on real world contracts is that we might get an F-15E from 1998 or smth, an A-10C from 2007+, a Su-27 from the late 80s, etc. which IMHO goes against the DCS concept of integrating these platforms in a somewhat realistic multiplayer experience.

Most of the Su-27's are old 80's Su-27's today, excluding Indian and Chinese flankers (at least a bunch of Chinese flankers, anyway).

A lot of F-15E's are still running around with old hardware or upgraded versions thereof, and since we won't get details on upgraded systems (like ICMS, and even the CMDs) it won't matter much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

A lot of people say the F 15E is too classified to be an effective sim, but that's not true. The F16 would be harder to model currently than its younger cousin. I'm thinking about SEAD here. The A10C carries modern 'smart' weapons as well as the Striike Eagle. The e model carries so many different weapons if you left out ... SDBs who would notice? The engines aren't classified and there is data readily available from the c model a2a capability. (Note I'm aware they do not fly the same). AG radar would need researching, but Janes did it wayyy back when, so....one would believe its possible.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

A lot of people say the F 15E is too classified to be an effective sim, but that's not true. The F16 would be harder to model currently than its younger cousin. I'm thinking about SEAD here.

What's hard about modeling SEAD?

The A10C carries modern 'smart' weapons as well as the Striike Eagle. The e model carries so many different weapons if you left out ... SDBs who would notice? The engines aren't classified and there is data readily available from the c model a2a capability.

Really? You got a copy of -34's that are out in the public domain that I'm not aware of? :)

As for the engines, I don't see why that makes a difference for an F-16 ...

And by the way, I'd miss SDBs. They're sort of a big deal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually the only avionics systems I can think of where classification would cause problems modeling it 'properly' (ie: missing features) would be AN/ALQ-128 EWWS (which is a black hole of classification, would not even be functional in the sim) and some aspects of radar. ICMS could be dealt with in a 'good enough' fashion with some creative liberty - honestly all I'd really expect, even as an F-15E avionics tech, is the right symbology on the TEWS scope and maybe degradation from part failure / damage. There's plenty of unclassified stuff about ICMS you can find that will give you enough of an idea of how to model both of those.

And yeah, SDBs on the F-15E are a must, as technically you would end up carrying more god damn bombs than you could probably find things to drop them on :D I would also royally flip the **** out if we didn't get GBU-15 / AGM-130s.

PS: Scrape, some F-15E uses different engines from the C-model, and they all have a different radar package. Basing them off the C-model might be 'good enough', but the AN/APG-70 has better ground mapping capabilities, and the P&W -229s are more powerful. Also the E-models aren't getting AESA anytime soon if you were referring to that.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually the only avionics systems I can think of where classification would cause problems modeling it 'properly' (ie: missing features) would be AN/ALQ-128 EWWS (which is a black hole of classification, would not even be functional in the sim) and some aspects of radar.

You can model it as a generic aspect of the jammer. There is NO information for ANY EW receivers for any aircraft whatsoever, so you assume it picks up everything properly with maybe some small failure rate. It's not an F-15 issue only I think.

ICMS could be dealt with in a 'good enough' fashion with some creative liberty - honestly all I'd really expect, even as an F-15E avionics tech, is the right symbology on the TEWS scope and maybe degradation from part failure / damage. There's plenty of unclassified stuff about ICMS you can find that will give you enough of an idea of how to model both of those.

There's documentation that is classified but available out there that shows certain TEWS things ...

And yeah, SDBs on the F-15E are a must, as technically you would end up carrying more god damn bombs than you could probably find things to drop them on :D I would also royally flip the **** out if we didn't get GBU-15 / AGM-130s.

That would just not be an E without'em! :P

PS: Scrape, some F-15E uses different engines from the C-model, and they all have a different radar package. Basing them off the C-model might be 'good enough', but the AN/APG-70 has better ground mapping capabilities, and the P&W -229s are more powerful. Also the E-models aren't getting AESA anytime soon if you were referring to that.

There's very good documentation for how to model the engines, or at least the aircraft flight envelope, including the -229's I think. Unfortunately as far as radars go, even old -34 fragments are hard to come by, which isn't surprising.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

. Unfortunately as far as radars go, even old -34 fragments are hard to come by, which isn't surprising.

Ok then. We don't get the strike eagle. It really needs the radar realistic. Or else what's the point of a training sim that doesn't simulate the radar properly.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

What's hard about modeling SEAD?

Really? You got a copy of -34's that are out in the public domain that I'm not aware of? :)

As for the engines, I don't see why that makes a difference for an F-16 ...

And by the way, I'd miss SDBs. They're sort of a big deal.

Ok so SDBs are desired lol. The AGM 130 isnt allowed in the AOR anymore although its still used in training, so leaving it out wouldn't be so bad. Besides the pilots are not too fond of it. When I mentioned SEAD being a problem, I'm talking about AGM 88s and certain avionics functions and weapon capability that got Janes in trouble.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually the only avionics systems I can think of where classification would cause problems modeling it 'properly' (ie: missing features) would be AN/ALQ-128 EWWS (which is a black hole of classification, would not even be functional in the sim) and some aspects of radar. ICMS could be dealt with in a 'good enough' fashion with some creative liberty - honestly all I'd really expect, even as an F-15E avionics tech, is the right symbology on the TEWS scope and maybe degradation from part failure / damage. There's plenty of unclassified stuff about ICMS you can find that will give you enough of an idea of how to model both of those.

I'm aware of the differences between 220s and 229s. I'm a 2W1.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pre-briefed, target of opportunity and self-defense modes. Knowledge of these is available in public at this time. You'll notice that JDAMs aren't exactly perfectly modeled either, at least AFAIK ... such things will naturally have to be simiplified for reasons of either secrecy, or just not really being useful in a sim.

Ok so SDBs are desired lol. The AGM 130 isnt allowed in the AOR anymore although its still used in training, so leaving it out wouldn't be so bad. Besides the pilots are not too fond of it. When I mentioned SEAD being a problem, I'm talking about AGM 88s and certain avionics functions and weapon capability that got Janes in trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SEAD is only interesting, when your weapon has aprox the same range as the SAM (or even a bit less)! ;)

With the A-10 it's kinda boring for example, to kill Strelas with GBU-38s from 20k ft...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

SEAD is only interesting, when your weapon has aprox the same range as the SAM (or even a bit less)! ;)

I disagree. If you don't have preprogrammed SAM site locations, you may need to bait the radar so you can send a HARM at it. A HARM is no good unless the radar is active, at some point.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I disagree. If you don't have preprogrammed SAM site locations, you may need to bait the radar so you can send a HARM at it. A HARM is no good unless the radar is active, at some point.

This and also there is also alternating radar sources..SEAD is a lot of fun anytime!

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

You talk about a lot of "if"s. So it needs "if"-conditions to be added for SEAD-Missions to become fun! ;)

So the mission design leaves also a lot of room for boring SEAD-Missions.

;)

SEAD can for sure be big fun! ... as long as the mission is well designed.

And yes, working with the AGM-88 ;) would of course be fun!

:)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

AFAIK Self-Protect mode can even launch it automatically, though given the amount of 'd'oh' that could cause, I doubt they use it that way :P

Well... sort of. I mean fundamentally the AGM-88 is 'Oh look, a radar spike' *pickle, turn away*. It's even easier than a Maverick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know the details, but something along those lines. AFAIK the pilot wasn't punished, and I heard a couple interesting things, such as the signal being interpreted as an SA-2 by the RWR ... which is possible, but again .. unconfirmed details.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For what it's worth, that's fairly plausible - RWR systems have to be incredibly sensitive to very minute signals, so damaged coaxial wiring could cause enough attenuation of a signal for it to be mistaken as something else.

Or some boob loaded the wrong OFP into the pod XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]