another nail in the coffin of the sim industry

ChromeWasp

You didn't flame people, but you did flame the sim :)

Anyway, most people are reacting a bit strong because usually people come in here, humbled, looking for help. You came in here the opposite way, instead of assuming ignorance, you assumed to know it all. There's a lot to learn in a sim like this, they don't call it a survey sim for nothing.

-Z

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I aaaaaam ... a banana!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. There's a lot to learn in a sim like this, they don't call it a survey sim for nothing.

-Z

No they don't. They call it a study sim, a survey sim would be like lock on. ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I found a good technique - especially when high up

- perform manual hover as best you can

- watch HSI

- activate autohover

- use HSI deflection to maintain hover

once achieved and deflection velocities are ~= 0

then relax

what is odd is that i can activate autohover at an indicated 20 kph and sometimes it will aggressively hold the hover point (cyclic back etc.)

other times it does nothing

could be trim settings I suppose

criticism isn't flaming - wanting a product to be better isn't flaming

people who say "it is the best" are its biggest enemy - because BS has egg on its face and not telling them doesn't help

I found a good technique - especially when high up

- perform manual hover as best you can

- watch HSI

- activate autohover

- use HSI deflection to maintain hover

once achieved and deflection velocities are ~= 0

then relax

what is odd is that i can activate autohover at an indicated 20 kph and sometimes it will aggressively hold the hover point (cyclic back etc.)

other times it does nothing

could be trim settings I suppose

criticism isn't flaming - wanting a product to be better isn't flaming

people who say "it is the best" are its biggest enemy - because BS has egg on its face and not telling them doesn't help

good luck calling the Russian Federation idiots since they obviously think it is the best too. Why else would they use it to train their pilots since what we have is the military training sim without top secret stuff.

You know what would probably be an excellent idea ChromeWasp.

See if someone, either a squad or just a single person not affiliated with a squad, if someone has spare time, maybe it would be an excellent idea if you could go online with them and learn from someone on a one to one basis.

all you need is a microphone and headphones/headset and you are then all good to go.

I am sure someone here will be willing to try and show you what you are doing wrong and at the same time help you learn things that you find confusing or just downright hard.

I think that would be the best way for you to get to grips with this sim, you need to be in an online enviroment where flying the shark can be shown to you and advice/help given to you if needed.

If you did that, I am sure that within a week or 2 you will have changed your mind about this sim.

I am also sure, even after all the stupid stuff that was said in some of your posts in this thread, I am sure people here will still be willing to help you fly/teach you online if you are so willing.

If you could fly online with someone who will focus on teaching/helping you to learn to fly the shark, you will pick things up alot quicker than if you were learning it by yourself in single player mode.

Give it a try and see, at worst you wont like it, at best you will get to know the shark quicker and probably become a much better pilot alot quicker than would probably be the case in single player mode.

You will probably make new friends also, what can be so bad about that ?

Edited by bumfire

In all honesty, have you even looked at the graphics?

The graphics are pretty irrelevant for that simulator. The important thing is that it has good and relatively close-to-real (I've had the opportunity to compare two aircraft in both Condor and real life) flight models and relatively proper simulation of thermals, ridges, hangs and so on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

As stated befor, The manual is the bible for this sim and all future DCS sim's you will need to start over learning the systems properly. I do see some of your pointd like the ground being sticky. ED knows this to be a issue and hopefuly they will fix it.

As for the market of ED/DCS, theas sim's are to show how well they can simulate the air fraims to a exacting detail. ED is and are a milarty contracted sim builder first and not a game desiner for the Joe public to enjoy. The A-10C is a direct desindent of the USAF contracted simulation, And the US was nice enough to alow Joe public to enjoy the frutes of EDs labor in the DCS series. This is just making the point that the KA-50 was build just like the real thing and real pilots do alot of learning befor they aculy get to climb into the airframe to fly it. I spent one weak reading the manual befor even trying to fly. After my first flight and crash :doh: I went back to the book, watched the track to see what I did wrong and asked for help here. problem fixed and moved on to the next problem and so on.

I know if you are willing to let go of the frustration and bit of anger. We can help you a great deal. We all here have learnd alot over the last year on the how to's to get started quickly, setup right from the start and have less issues.

I do offer training to anyone that wants it and am willing to walk you thrue setting up the sim, controles, LUA files, config files that will make the sime run a little smother. Stop buy the Mercenarie web site forum PM me and we can do a little training to work out the buggs and frustration's. You are just makeing some basic misstakes.

Good luck, I hope you learn to enjoy this sim as I have. :pilotfly:

• Like 1

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I see you're still not getting it.

The egg is on your face. You are the one who is supposed to learn how the aircraft works and fly accordingly. You are not the one who decides how it should have been done. Real life hardware has real life limitations, and I doubt you could have done any better.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I see you're still not getting it.

The egg is on your face. You are the one who is supposed to learn how the aircraft works and fly accordingly. You are not the one who decides how it should have been done. Real life hardware has real life limitations, and I doubt you could have done any better.

Come on GG, you know he can code a flight sim on his iphone in 20 minutes :music_whistling:

• Like 1

• ED Team

Come on guys, we all know Battlefield 2 has the most realistic flight dynamics for a helicopter. It has to be! I was very skilled in BF 2 with the cobra! Right? :( And because i was skilled, doesnt that mean it was realistic? I mean.... It has to be.... it has to..

• Like 2

Come on guys, we all know Battlefield 2 has the most realistic flight dynamics for a helicopter. It has to be! I was very skilled in BF 2 with the cobra! Right? :( And because i was skilled, doesnt that mean it was realistic? I mean.... It has to be.... it has to..

QFT :megalol:

Some guys should just accept BF, GTA, HAWX and every other console flight game out there is so much more graphic/physic..ally demanding than some uncool simulator, modeled on some unknown chopper, with the help of some unknown pilot dudes and created by some guy called Ed, in his basement.

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Some kids should just accept BF, GTA, HAWX and every other console flight game out there is so much more graphic/physic..ally demanding than some uncool simulator, modeled on some unknown chopper, with the help of some unknown pilot dudes and created by some guy called Ed, in his basement.

:megalol::megalol:

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

and condor will run fine at 30 fps on my old pentium m laptop with intel integrated graphics!

now *that* is high quality graphics and physics programming

i have a feeling the sim is going wrong for me due to lack of horsepower

and I am bored of 12 fps and watching helicopters crashing into the ground for no good reason

its disappointing - I'm going to do something entertaining instead

Excellent idea, might I suggest hula hooping, its a blast especially if you can get up to 5 hoops on the go.

But you might want to think about getting some more horsepower soon though and really enjoying this sim to the full, only then will you be able to understand why so many people show so much passion for DCS.

Thanks for understanding. :thumbup:

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

• ED Team
an

and I am bored of 12 fps and watching helicopters crashing into the ground for no good reason

That reason would be you, btw. ;)

This sim isnt for everyone.

Turn on Immortal mode, and arcade options, turn graphics down as low as possible, and you should feel right at home i think. :) Seriously.

One huge source of information is here, the Forums.

I bet, you can find at least a hundred post talking about the same problems you had/have. Yeah, it may take more than 1 second to look thru the forums, and most people don't have the time to sit here sorting post but, the information is here. From programmer to actual pilots. From Mechanics to designers, the information is here. I think some times I see 10+ post in as many minutes. There people making there own tutorial in You Tube ( there is many) People making checklists, etc. Read the manual, go to you tube and type; DCS Black Shark ( 918 results for me) Come here and search the forums. And finally there is a plethora of online squadrons that have their own training, PDF files, videos etc to help train you :joystick:

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Try again when you have the computer to run it, it sounds like you were running it under the minimum system requirements.

I didnt like BS the first time around, I gave up, I didnt have enough patience, tried it again a few months later and now I UNDERSTAND and I love BS. My problem wasnt hardware though, but lack of patience. Just save it until you have a computer that can run it. Trust us, if you try again, a more HUMBLE attempt I think you will understand too. You have to be humble to learn this sim.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Maybe you should try comparing the features in BS and Condor, and then you would see why the Black Shark is more demanding in terms of computing.

If you can write the physics for a chopper to run on your phone in 20min, this comparison should both be very easy, and it should be VERY obvious as to why Black Shark requires a lot more horsepower.

Here's a hint: It isn't 'graphics gimmicks'.

FYI, the business of flight is very visual - it is a very visual environment, so whatever 'gimmicks' make it more realistic are worth it.

And BTW, are you seriously running DCS on lower than reccomended specs and complaining about it?

and condor will run fine at 30 fps on my old pentium m laptop with intel integrated graphics!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually, the graphics engine of Condor is simplistic and relatively inefficcient, and the physics modelling is equally simplistic table-simulation. The reason it runs good on old hardware is... that i's old. ;)

Also, it does not simulate electronics, radio, AI, ballistics, blade elements, has a much smaller terrain area to keep in memory, etcetera etcetera... :)

Not knocking it - I love Condor. But comparing it with DCS:BS is, again, like saying you should be able to run Bad Company 2 in 1900x1200 since Tetris runs fine at that resolution...

Like I was saying several times: what is your hardware? All the time you spent talking about graphics I've been trying to get you to divulge some information on the component that actually matters: the CPU.

Then a smart thing might be to actually give the information I and others have requested in our quest to try helping you sort out your problem? DxDiag might help as a starting point.

Oh, and helicopters smash into the ground for very good reasons in DCS:BS. It's just that the "good reasons" might not be obvious to someone that doesn't fly or is otherwise well acquainted with 10-tonne attack helicopters. ;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Good graphics is VERY important for many of us, it wouldnt be the same feeling without it. For me the visuals add to the feeling of flight and you cant expect to experience that on a computer below the system requirements (cos you will get 12 fps just like you said) and not having given yourself enough time to learn it (cos you will crash before you get to experience it)

My point is: Pretty graphics = GOOD

(This reply was intended for chrome)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

Well I forgot to add in the firsts posts that i feel many pages :P

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................\,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\

................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

Hahahahahaha!!:megalol::megalol: EPIC!

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly