Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

You can download the latest test versions from http://arma.misaki.pl/

These use the new Accela Filter. With BS2, I just put the headtracker.dll in DCS Black Shark 2\bin\headtracker and use FaceAPI and Freetrack in FTNoIR.

I'm using a PS3 Eye but to be honest I'm not having much luck with FTNoIR at the moment as it's too jittery and almost impossible to look at the rear panel. The profile probably just needs tweaking though, so hopefully someone who knows what they're doing will come up with a usable one, otherwise I think I'll try FreeTrack.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can download the latest test versions from http://arma.misaki.pl/

These use the new Accela Filter. With BS2, I just put the headtracker.dll in DCS Black Shark 2\bin\headtracker and use FaceAPI and Freetrack in FTNoIR.

Hi doveman,

May I remind you, that the version you can download there is NOT an official FaceTrackNoIR version? It's the working branch belonging to Stanislaw.

We are very glad that Stanislaw creates code for FaceTrackNoIR and are working on merging it with FaceTrackNoIR. That takes time and an official release takes testing.

So you are free to download from Stanislaw, but please don't complain if things aren't perfect yet. Of course, ideas are welcome :thumbup:

Facetrack and DCS World

Hello..

Just download the new DCS world V1.2 etc with the A10

I am struggling to get camera action in the game ..

Facetrack works when loaded and sees face ... game loads but no movement....

Where do the files need to be in the new DCS world?

PS I have still got my standalone A10 version on and all good in that....

So its seesm to be a DCS World issue ...

PPS Is there a quick way to import all my keyconfig over from A10 to DCS World...

Thanks in advance ... Jim

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!

I've found this thread yesterday when just randomly browsing the forum...

The idea of controlling my games with my head without needing expensive head tracking hardware made me very excited! I plan to buy some cheap web camera and give it a try with DCSW. But before I do so, I have a pair of questions:

1. I want to use the ED API interface instead of the PPJoy solution (it seems too complicated to me, plus I don't like the unsigned DLL issues). If I understand it correctly, I have to put files headtracker.dll and DCS A-10C.ini (and rename it eventually) into the folder Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Su-25T\Input\su-25T\headtracker, and into the relevant folders for any other module too, to make them all work with FaceTrack.

But: Is it possible for FaceTrack to open all the .ini files at same time (so I can switch to different aircraft and it will still work), or will I have to open the relevant .ini each time I want to fly another type of aircraft?

2. It's said that using FaceTrack will disable any other camera input in DCS. Is it true for cockpit view only, or will it disable my keypad and mouse even in external view? I hope not, this would be a real game breaker...

...and sorry if my questions were answered already. I tried to read the whole thread carefully, but you know, with 36 pages, it's easy to miss something... :book:

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Big thanks, TurboHog, that was a quick response!

DCSW isn't working great on my current system, but I'm already getting myself a new one. It will be ready during next week probably, and then I will surely give it a try. Thanks once again!

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Tested it last week, and I have to say, very interesting technology indeed! I'm still not done with fine-tuning the settings, and with adjusting lighting in my room (need to do some "extreme makeover", hehe). But it works!

There are only two things which bother me:¨

Firstly, it overrides any other view input (exactly as stated). No problem during flight, but during startup, I'd rather use the keypad. Still, nothing I can't live without.

Secondly, and more importantly, its reliablity. Sometimes, it starts going crazy for no good reason, sometimes it freezes completely and well, it isn't something you want to happen during ship landing... I hope that better room lighting fixes this issue at least partially.

Hey guys!

As Wim stated, this is no official build.

However! It has been rebased on the current 1.7 repo, taking advantage of features Wim added while merging back my changes, as well as ones he made himself.

I fixed some pretty critical bugs (see SF forum for the details) but functionality-adding changes are pretty nonexistent.

Repo: https://github.com/sthalik/facetracknoir

Also, I plan to add a new tracker sometime, but only after it gets good, because it's still in heavy development. See my other github repo.

@doveman:

Try tweaking Accela and increasing your curve output for yaw. It's also recommended to calibrate your camera. I can supply a lens file if needed. Please email me if you're interested.

Since you're using the Eye, just tell me which FOV you use (70-ish or 50-ish, I need the precise value). I can then compute a lens file. Oh, I also need the EXACT name of the camera that shows on the FTNOIR screen.

Edited by sthalik

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a plan to make Face Track Noir a single .exe all in one package that opens up drops files into the right folders, detects the camera and just works? The only choice you need to make is 32 or 64bit.

One of the biggest problems we have in the simming world these days with third party software is the need to have this that and something else and tweako here and tweeko there, run three times around monitor and say a hail Mary before anything works.

I used an early version of FTN 1.6 i think last year and it was great but again the fiddle **cking to make it work just drives you mad.

• 2 weeks later...
@doveman:

Try tweaking Accela and increasing your curve output for yaw. It's also recommended to calibrate your camera. I can supply a lens file if needed. Please email me if you're interested.

Since you're using the Eye, just tell me which FOV you use (70-ish or 50-ish, I need the precise value). I can then compute a lens file. Oh, I also need the EXACT name of the camera that shows on the FTNOIR screen.

Sorry (to Wim too) for not replying sooner. Somehow I managed to not have notification active for this thread, so only just saw your replies!

I haven't had time to play with FTNoIR lately much anyway but I'm interested in trying with a lens file. Regarding the FOV, are you asking for the FOV set in DCS? I haven't changed it (I probably should but don't actually know how to yet) so if you could tell me where to find it, I'll send you the required information.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I treid this out, and ended up saying sod this so I just went out and got a trackir and be done with it, alot of tweaking with facetracknoir i think and to me it wasnt worth the time or the hassel.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme, Intel 3960X, 8gig Vengence, GTX 680 Top, Vertex 3 SSD, Sennheiser Xense, Custom EK wc loop, Silent Pro M1000watt, Corsair 600T, 24" BenQ XL2420, TM Hotas Warthog

Click for optimal graphics settings

• 3 months later...

Facetracknoir is making DCS:A-10C crash at launch! Help please.

I installed DCS:A-10C through Steam after purchasing during the Steam holiday sale. I just bought a Thrustmaster Warthog but before I install that I'd like to get facetracking working. First, I installed Facetracknoir 1.6 today, then checked that my webcam was compatible and working with it correctly. Then I downloaded and copied the three files in the Eagle Dynamics API interface DLL (64-bit) into my A-10C/bin directory. I then ensured Facetracknoir was tracking me and then tried starting up the test missions but the sim keeps crashing. I can load into the menu/config application, but whenever I press start and A-10C 1.1.1.1 loads up, it gives me a "DCS has stopped working" message. If I move those three files out of /bin the sim loads but there is no facetracking. I checked that DCS.exe is not marked with the *32-bit comment in processes and is running the 64-bit version.

Has anyone else resolved this before?

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-Bit

5.1 Windows Experience

Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2GHz

8GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GT 555M

Edited by Keithustus

Hmm there's also the problem that the location to place the files can change from a version to an other and even from an installation from another! So yes iit can be really painful to get this working, personally I use Freetrack but the dll's in use are the same right?

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Woa I think I may have figured it out!

Earlier I had copied the three files inside the downloaded API file directly into the /bin. This time I tried copying the FOLDER inside the downloaded file that contains those three folders into the /bin. So I have /bin/headtracker/ and now I'm in the game and appear to be able to look around. Now I've just got to learn how to get my Curves to be helpful.

Seems to be different from the Freetrack plugin if you have 3 folders then. But yeah, you should normally have to create an "headtracker" folder in the /bin and then drop your dll. You can't see it's recognized in game but it works that way. So to set your curves, set it from FaceTrack NoIR...

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Yes, well the instructions don't say to drop the folder there, just the files. Anyway, now that I've got it responsive in game, I'm finding it to actually be more infuriating than when it didn't work.

First, how do I completely reset the view? In the FacetracknoIR keyboard settings there are options for "center" and for "game zero", but they don't work like I want them to. What I want to be able to do is reset the view to be where it normally would when you start: not zoomed, level, and facing forward above the pilot seat. What happens to me so far is that it works well for awhile but then the view gets completely locked to some weird-ass angle like looking directly at the pilot's seatback, and rolled 90 degrees! And I can't get it back. How do I do that? What do the "center" and "game zero" buttons do? And why can't I just use mouselook (which is disabled) or the camera-rotating buttons (which only move the camera so long as the keys are depressed) to fix it?

Second, I'm getting the exit-game crash now. With FacetracknoIR, when I try to QUIT from in the game, DCS crashes. This wouldn't be a problem except that it skips the mission progress screen so I don't think it will tally my progress. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks for listening to my problems.

In Freetrack the "center" button do that and should do the same in FaceTrack, cause it's supposed to center all axis including Z. You can use the mouselook or camera buttons only with the external view, it creates a sort of conflict with the headtracking with internal views.

About the crashes at exit, it happens for some, doesn't for some other, I'm not aware of a solution about those crash, it's a compatibility problem.

I seem to recall from using FaceTrack that "Center" makes your current head position center, so if your head's turned to the right when you click it, then you straighten your head the camera will then be turned off to the right.

I've had the same problem with it and DCS though, where it ends up stuck looking at the back of the seat. I think it was just because the lighting was too poor in my room and it couldn't track my face properly, so I gave up and plan to use FreeTrack instead. You could try disabling all but the X axis in FaceTrack though and see if that prevents it, then enable the Y axis as well and then Z (zoom).

• 2 weeks later...
I seem to recall from using FaceTrack that "Center" makes your current head position center, so if your head's turned to the right when you click it, then you straighten your head the camera will then be turned off to the right.

I've had the same problem with it and DCS though, where it ends up stuck looking leds at the back of the seat. I think it was just because the lighting was too poor in my room and it couldn't track my face properly, so I gave up and plan to use FreeTrack instead. You could try disabling all but the X axis in FaceTrack though and see if that prevents it, then enable the Y axis as well and then Z (zoom).

This is very common problem and you have mentioned right solution.

Edited by Williamharris

Thanks to the OP for this great post and all those who have helped clarify. If anyone has a .lua file for PPjoy and BS they'd be willing to share I would be very grateful. Been having good deal of trouble setting mine up. Thanks :joystick:

Edited by Zephyr

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Tonight I've joined FaceTrack world. :) I was curious and have just tried.

It has a little latency compared to FreeTrack. And we already know that FreeTrack has latency compared to TrackIR...

I solved latency problem in FreeTrack by messing with multiplier thing etc. But I can't make FaceTrack faster (Edit: Oops! I've got some speedy response while struggling the settings of EWMA Filter Mk2 - yaay!) . But for now, I like play DCS without LEDs over my head...

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068