X-Plane News ONLY (not discussion)

Shaman

That is my primary reason for not spending too much time with X-Plane 10 (I have the NA edition). The investment in FSX/Prepar3d compatible add-ons is something I do not want to replicate.

I won't be buying DCS F-14A. I've got F-14 Fleet Defender already.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) On another note - do you really have to replicate all of your FSX assets? I guess it's a personal thing to go for quantity over quality. I only hope it gets less and less common :)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) On another note - do you really have to replicate all of your FSX assets? I guess it's a personal thing to go for quantity over quality. I only hope it gets less and less common :)

Thats not entirely fair. If you already have a lot of money invested in FSX and you have a framerate that you are happy about then xplane probably doesnt have anything substantial to offer you at this point.

xplane certainly has some pro's but if you have got fsx working reliably with a lot of addons then the chances are that xplane cannot match it.

the future may be a different story.

I agree here - for me X Plane 10 was a no brainer because I could never get FSX running as I'd liked and got crashes, when I realised I was spending more time tweaking than flying I decided enough was enough.

I think many of X Planes problems have now been resolved, for example it used to be that it didn't have complex addons however now it has many. The JMax 777 is incredible and rivals the NGX. PMDG are also on board and currently producing (or converting) an aircraft to X Plane 10.

The payware (and freeware) addons are becoming increasingly complex too.

Mower this may also interest you if you enjoy complex aircraft, though you may have already seen it!

http://www.ixeg.net/ - the product is almost finished now.

The only thing I miss from FSX is the air traffic - it's quite lacking in X Plane, but with that said an addon was released last week and the creator is currently working on (with an aim to releasing this month) an auto traffic generator similar to the My Traffic systems on FSX.

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Bloody Hell: XPX is obviously superior to FSX in many ways and still being developed, but I have hundreds of dollars invested in FSX...how can I just walk away from that? More to the point, I cant afford to start collecting these payware add-ons from scratch for a new sim...bloody hell.

I fly P3D as well as X-Plane and really enjoy them both,As far as buying add-ons for each Sim I have become patient and wait for sales and only buy Quality Add-ons that I know I'll use and enjoy.

You'd also be very surprised at the great freeware scenery and aircraft available for X-Plane.:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

I fly P3D as well as X-Plane and really enjoy them both,As far as buying add-ons for each Sim I have become patient and wait for sales and only buy Quality Add-ons that I know I'll use and enjoy.

You'd also be very surprised at the great freeware scenery and aircraft available for X-Plane.:thumbup:

I've never flown both "side by side" without a significant gap - do the aircraft in X Plane actually feel better because of the virtual wind tunnel, or can you not really feel a difference? I guess this question should only relate to two addons of roughly equal quality!

Which addon aircraft do you have for XP10 out of interest?

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Thats not entirely fair. If you already have a lot of money invested in FSX and you have a framerate that you are happy about then xplane probably doesnt have anything substantial to offer you at this point.

xplane certainly has some pro's but if you have got fsx working reliably with a lot of addons then the chances are that xplane cannot match it.

the future may be a different story.

The FMs comparison was fair ;)

This is the thing, you know. One has completely disregard the flight modeling to share your view. I'm not having a go, it's a genuine statement. To be fair XP doesn't really have much to offer over its FM when compared to FSX.

I've never flown both "side by side" without a significant gap - do the aircraft in X Plane actually feel better because of the virtual wind tunnel, or can you not really feel a difference? I guess this question should only relate to two addons of roughly equal quality!

Which addon aircraft do you have for XP10 out of interest?

I find the Feeling of Flight very realistic in X-Plane,Not quite as good as DCS but pretty close,Three of my favorite X-Plane Aircraft are

Carenado Baron 58

LED DCS-3

J Rollon J-31 TurboProp

BTW,Here's a sample of a Freeware Airport available to download

Patrick

mini.gif

I can assure you that the items I would want to replicate are a significant quantity of very high quality terrain and aircraft (ORBX and A2A for example).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

sadly, aircraft conversion isn t possible,..the truth is, developer needs to do the whole coding from scratch in a complete different process..sure without building the 3d modell and textures but actually i only see carenado is doing this way with danklaue together as alabeo too,..we hopefully can see some more devs joining the multiproduct route..offering both variants..xplane and FSX or P3D,..unless you will have to pay both variants if you want to use the product in both sims..

The complete flight model and systems work is to be redone in a complete different process..

yeah and see the AS350 conversion,,Dreamfoil did with Nemeth designs beautifull AS350,.. the whole flight model is done completely new,..animations are completely new,..and by far, it is not comparable to FSX version anylonger^^

For scenery,..it is somehow different,..

the tool FSX2XP..is doing a good job..but it depends on source quality from FSX content,..there is a list in Xorg,..which content does convert without much trouble.. and for me some FSX devs are actually converting FSX content to sell it as new, into Xplane..sadly...

but as the tools just got updated again..we seriously have the most powerfull tools palette and possibilites..to produce our hometowns in HQ ourselfs,.. see attached my hometown!=)

778208258_X-Plane-32bit2013-04-2813-32-11-48.thumb.jpg.ef31b0744103d9a4013f62a1a9e3b12b.jpg

EDCK_City_02.thumb.jpg.bbc29685d50586f6db17cbbf1b0a784e.jpg

EDCK_City_03.thumb.jpg.248bbab35a7e254acecd0cd22010070d.jpg

EDCK_City_01.thumb.jpg.702d030429d81f3cea07a6ab52371b36.jpg

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

X-Plane 10 has awesome FPS and amazing scenery by default. It's heaps of fun with the economy plugins that let you take jobs and buy aircraft etc.

EXCEPT WHEN A GODDAMN BIRD RUINS YOUR FLIGHT AND YOU HAVE TO LAND ON A FREAKING HIGHWAY AND MERGE WITH TRAFFIC... ARRRGH NERD RAGE!!!!!

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I have been on an effort over the last little while to try and identify some good scenery to download. I Cant convert anything from fsx as I dont have it installed and cant be bothered installing it all anyway..

A while ago I converted a bunch of osm data but it got lost on a HDD misshap so I might have a lot of work to do...

Where in auckland are you? You seem to play a lot of sims that some of us locals do..

We should get together sometime, I made a couple a10 pits for aucklanders recently, there are at least ilikepie, kaiza, another guy brad, who are on the forums who all live in auckland. We meet up from time to time. Also a bunch more on kiwisim who dont come here but we see each other occasionally like at airshows or when I need help moving machinery :)

I also tried to make a panel for helios and xplane. Of course the data cannot be exported from xplane in to helios, unless I could be bothered writing a data conversion for it - which wouldnt be all that hard.

It just makes it a little easier for things like the radio/nav stack because by default how xplane works really sucks for a touchscreen.

right now I have a panel bound to a button on the stick which pops the panel up and hides it. I might make two panels bound to two diff buttons, one for the radios and the other for misc switches.

I have found it works pretty well with my pause button on the stick, I look at the radios, pause the track ir and then freely tune it with helios so the radios/freqs are easily seen while turning the helios knobs.

but as the tools just got updated again..we seriously have the most powerfull tools palette and possibilites..to produce our hometowns in HQ ourselfs,.. see attached my hometown!=)

Hey, the Köthen Scenery looks great!:thumbup:

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Review of the 777 Worldliner which I've been flying. It's by one of the PCPilot editors so well founded.

It seems X-Plane does indeed have a PMDG quality addon - a big difference being that this aircraft runs at a constant 40-60fps in bad weather with heavily detailed scenery (I presume this is because of the multicore and 64bit support, along with a more optimised and modern engine).

Still can't actually believe it when I taxi round a congested Heathrow in a thunder storm at 40fps...Doesn't feel right.

Edited by Conure
  • Like 1

yeah Köthen feels good meanwhile..i think i placed 400000K objects between Köthen and Halle Saale!) and am working on objects like hospital köthen and several landmarks...it feels more and more real and living..

it took me away from DCS since it s release..

cheers

Jan

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting really tempted to pick up XP10 - although knowing me, it'll still be a few months before I do so.

I have it but still have not found the time to really give it a go.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: