How to fly A-10 without pedals, suggestions pls

Bahger

I do not have dedicated flight sim pedals but racing pedals that go with my G-25 racing wheel. A-10 sees my G25 pedals but the only axis available for rudder control is a one-pedal axis with the halfway point in its travel as neutral rudder. This means you have to hold the pedal there throughout the flight to maintain neutral. Although this was just about workable in Black Shark because helos require constant rudder input, in A-10 it's unworkable and no substitute for a reciprocal two-pedal arangement. Having really only flown fast jet fighter sims but no single-prop WW2-era fighter sims, or any slow, high-alpha aircraft sim, rudder input via twin pedals has not been necessary for me.

Having tried the A-10 Beta, I find that directional control on roll out is impossible without steering input from pedals, whether it's rudder or ground steering. I can't get precision rudder control with the one-pedal arrangement and with no pedal assignment at all the rudder is cocked off to one side rather than neutral, making steering control impossible.

I just cannot coordinate the airplane in flight, or steer it on the ground without pedals. I might get dedicated flight pedals if I decide I like the sim enough but in the meantime can anyone suggest a temporary solution to either neutralise the rudder (not immobilize it deflected) or to map it some other way than to a single pedal?

You don't have a twist stick? If your stick doesn't twist, I don't know of anything else other than rudder pedals.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

You don't have a twist stick? If your stick doesn't twist, I don't know of anything else other than rudder pedals.

Maybe lean towards the side of the aircraft you want to yaw to? No wait that would make you roll, how about deploying some kind of wind catching device?

In all seriousness, you can pick up a twist joystick dirt cheap. Otherwise, I have read of people modding race pedals into rudder pedals, so if you don't drive much....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This thread may help http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=35901

Also, someone in that thread mentions that G25 has a single axis mode. My ECCI wheel and pedals are the same way. What I've done is to wire in a couple TPST switches so that I can swap the clutch and brake axis. When I enable single axis mode I flip these switches and this allows me to use clutch and gas as rudder. You press the clutch to nose left, gas to nose right. If you press them both then they cancel each other out of course.

The gripe I tend to hear back about this setup is "but that isn't how rudder pedals really work!" so I will preempt that here by saying "who cares, I'd rather not switch out all that gear over and over".

Any questions, PM me.

Thanks for the response, guys.

The problem is, I do drive a lot, in iRacing, and do not have room for another set of (flight) pedals. Even if I get another set -- which I might -- I am a little leery of recognition conflicts within the various programs and do not want to be constantly pluging in and unplugging peripherals as this is often makes them unreliable and/or high-maintenance.

I have a CH Fighter Stick, which is a great, durable, programmable stick. I also have the CH throttle. The stick, alas, has no twist.

I really want to get into A-10, it's my first new flight sim in years! What to do, what to do...

• Like 1

Personally, I use an old RealFlight Interlink controller that was meant for use with remote control planes. Works great. You might try just attaching a second joystick ( like one of those old atari style ones which you loosen an axis on ). I don't know if they make digital ones, all I've ever seen is analog.

Thanks for the response, guys.

The problem is, I do drive a lot, in iRacing, and do not have room for another set of (flight) pedals. Even if I get another set -- which I might -- I am a little leery of recognition conflicts within the various programs and do not want to be constantly pluging in and unplugging peripherals as this is often makes them unreliable and/or high-maintenance.

I have a CH Fighter Stick, which is a great, durable, programmable stick. I also have the CH throttle. The stick, alas, has no twist.

I really want to get into A-10, it's my first new flight sim in years! What to do, what to do...

I have a G27, and I race in iRacing too. I'm using here as a rudder by setting it to combined axis in the Logitech profiler.

• ED Team
I do not have dedicated flight sim pedals but racing pedals that go with my G-25 racing wheel. A-10 sees my G25 pedals but the only axis available for rudder control is a one-pedal axis with the halfway point in its travel as neutral rudder. This means you have to hold the pedal there throughout the flight to maintain neutral. Although this was just about workable in Black Shark because helos require constant rudder input, in A-10 it's unworkable and no substitute for a reciprocal two-pedal arangement. Having really only flown fast jet fighter sims but no single-prop WW2-era fighter sims, or any slow, high-alpha aircraft sim, rudder input via twin pedals has not been necessary for me.

Having tried the A-10 Beta, I find that directional control on roll out is impossible without steering input from pedals, whether it's rudder or ground steering. I can't get precision rudder control with the one-pedal arrangement and with no pedal assignment at all the rudder is cocked off to one side rather than neutral, making steering control impossible.

I just cannot coordinate the airplane in flight, or steer it on the ground without pedals. I might get dedicated flight pedals if I decide I like the sim enough but in the meantime can anyone suggest a temporary solution to either neutralise the rudder (not immobilize it deflected) or to map it some other way than to a single pedal?

Wait for release. Aircraft handling characteristics is still subject to change.

Edited by Olgerd
spelling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

@ SgtJackBauer, Does that mean you're using two pedals, clutch for left rudder, accelerator for right rudder? I'd accept that as a workaround if when neither pedal is being pressed, the runner defaults to neutral and the aircraft is yaw stable.

@ SgtJackBauer, Does that mean you're using two pedals, clutch for left rudder, accelerator for right rudder? I'd accept that as a workaround if when neither pedal is being pressed, the runner defaults to neutral and the aircraft is yaw stable.

Brake for left rudder and throttle for right rudder.

Have the Logitech profiler in your taskbar? There is a setting in it to report pedals as a combined axis.

Brake for left rudder and throttle for right rudder.

Have the Logitech profiler in your taskbar? There is a setting in it to report pedals as a combined axis.

This might be the solution for me. Can you tell me, when you set the Logi Profiler to "Combined Axis", what do you enter into the Axis Assignment field in-game for "Rudder"? What axis shows up in that field for the combined axis when you press one or the other pedal? Do you have to re-tune any of the in-game axis settings?

Finally, when sitting on the runway with these settings, will the aircraft go forward in a straight line (assuming no crosswind) under power with no pedal input? It should. It's a center-line thrust, twin-engined jet that should be completely yaw-stable both on the ground an in the air and recreating that essential flight characteristic is what I've been grappling with...

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

This might be the solution for me. Can you tell me, when you set the Logi Profiler to "Combined Axis", what do you enter into the Axis Assignment field in-game for "Rudder"? What axis shows up in that field for the combined axis when you press one or the other pedal? Do you have to re-tune any of the in-game axis settings?

Finally, when sitting on the runway with these settings, will the aircraft go forward in a straight line (assuming no crosswind) under power with no pedal input? It should. It's a center-line thrust, twin-engined jet that should be completely yaw-stable both on the ground an in the air and recreating that essential flight characteristic is what I've been grappling with...

In-sim the pedals get recognized by JOY_SLIDER1, if that's what you are asking.

I had to tweak the axis - first marking the "Invert" checkbox, and give it a curve of 30 because it felt too sensitive.

With this config, yes the plane goes forward in a straight line, unless winds are involved. In the air, the SAS take care of providing rudder to coordinate turns, so I find using it mostly on ground and on "extreme" maneuvers :)

In case you didn't see my post...my solution takes this a step further allowing you to use clutch and gas along the single axis, vs using the brake, which often has a drastically different resistance compared to the gas pedal (meaning you will not get a linear axis if you use the brake in this way).

It is very easy to mount a couple of switches inline of the potentiometer wiring. The switches allow you to swap brake for clutch. So when you go to single axis mode, you flip the switches, which allows for a more natural feeling rudder. In my setup, I never have to recalibrate or reset any commands in the game options as long as I don't unplug the controllers (in which case, your controller assignment is liable to hop around because of how windows handles USB assignments).

I have the same situation, I use my G27 pedals for iRacing and so don't have room for dedicated flight pedals, and I got the G25 pedals working as rudders using GlovePIE last year, I posted the info here:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=73020&start=15#p465878

I never really got used to it so I returned to using the twist rudder control on my X-52 but maybe the info in that post will help point you in the right direction.

i7-920d0@4.2ghz, Foxconn Bloodrage, G.Skill 6GB DDR3 2000@1600 6-7-6-16

ATI5870 Eyefinity, 3 x P2310H monitors 5760x1080, Track4IR, Win7Pro64

I have a G27, and I race in iRacing too. I'm using here as a rudder by setting it to combined axis in the Logitech profiler.

same here havent the space for another set of pedals......(yet! moving house hopefully soon).... so the G27 pedals work fine for now.

Change the setting in the logi profiler to combined axis as stated above.

ruddre-config.jpg

dont forget to clear any other rudder inputs .... keys etc !

Edited by Conuk

hey guys sorry to get in late but im having a similar problem with my logitech extreme 3d pro, the stick has a twist axis which it is using for the rudders and its pretty brutal on takeoff with the wobbly light on nose wheel, i looked into a pair of pedals which where suggested to me but i only have a svideo pair of pedals and need to get an adapter, Question is there anything i can do as a placeholder, like increase the threshold for the axis?