Realism/Study VS Action/QuickLaunch - Results

StrongHarm

In this thread/poll the manual was discussed. Roughly half the people polled said they found the manual and deep understanding important. The other half found they didn't care much to have a full understanding of the A-10C. I ranted a bit about how much people are missing if they try to click their way through instead of gaining a deep understanding. Let me clarify:

I have to digress and explain why I'm so passionate about stressing the value of the manual.
I've been callus and less than helpful. I apologize.

Up until a few decades ago, digital wizardry wasn't available. PCs were little more than glorified calculators, and phones had cords and radial dials that created sparks to communicate with routers as big as a house. During the emergence of this technological utopia we now comfortably inhabit, we were excited. There was something in the near future that was going to change everything. We couldn't wait to see what was next. Enter the military aircraft! They defied laws of physics and understanding as we knew them. How can that aircraft fly to a target at faster than the speed of sound, engage and destroy an enemy with ruthless efficiency, and return home with a grinning pilot? Black boxes.. intense mathematical calculations.. expensive new alloys.. secret sauce. We all wanted a taste of it. It was our gateway into this future we now know. Digital wizardry!.. and we could have a small peek inside through, what at the time, passed for a flight simulator.

This digital wizardry persists. These aircraft remain the most complex and effective machines ever built. But when you wake up and pay your bills, check the weather, watch the news, and make a significant purchase.. all within five minutes from your smartphone.. it's easy to forget that these steel dragons exist.

Slow down and open your eyes to this wonder. Read the manual, understand the hardware, THEN you can truly take flight and revel in the power you wield. Look closer and be humbled. The Warthog and ED will not disappoint.

P.S. -

• Like 4

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I tend to read the manual more fully when I have a paper copy....

When dealing with PDF manuals, I tend to read digest and then go and try. I find reading PDF manuals highly painful.

A more in depth reading of the manual will take place when\if ED release a ring bound manual like the one for Black Shark. Until then, phased learning for me :)

Excellent post!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Well I made it to Pg138:smartass: I just don't have time to sit and RTFM, it's seriously cutting in to my flight time:pilotfly:

I have the start up procedure memorized, unfortunately unlike with the KA-50, that's the easy part.

Louis C.K. is brilliant:lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Thanks Hajduk! I hate to stray off topic.. but could you rate your SSDs in Raid0 as a percentage of total performance gain? I've been considering the upgrade.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

SSD in Raid0 is exactly what Louis CK is talking about. SSD are faster than god can move and people still find ways to want them faster. :) I wish I could get a single SSD for my system.

I want a paper manual. If the beta manual was the final, I would actually go to kinkos and get it printed and bound, but its going to change so I am not printing a 650+ page manual that will be wrong with final release. I also Hate PDF manuals. Way to hard to flip back to pages you want. One of my biggest gripes about the trend toward D2D crap. I printed the BS manual which is twice as big as it would be since I do not have 2 sided capability. But it really helps learning when I can ear mark pages.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I miss proper paper manuals. Did any of you guys play the Lucasfilm flight sims back in the 80s and early 90s? (BattleHawks 1942, Their Finest Hour, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe) I used to take the great manuals they came with to school with me and read them. I was in 3rd-6th grade when I did that.

Sadly those games weren't even complicated and it's hard to really even think of them as sims now. Yet they had nice thick printed manuals with a lot of history and information in them. Now that we have highly complex simulations that practically REQUIRE a huge manual, we don't get a proper printed manual. :(

Falcon 3.0 was my first one... and cause i had some trouble with a virus affecting the EXE on one of the floppys (11 if i recall lol) I couldnt play till someone got me a copy... early 90s no one I knew had that type of complex game installed.

I had the hardest time reading the manual and not being able to use that knowledge... i carried it everywhere, the result I had almost mastered it before i even played !

You can imagine what happened after I finnaly got it... : )) Changed my life!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

Falcon 3.0 was my first one... and cause i had some trouble with a virus affecting the EXE on one of the floppys (11 if i recall lol) I couldnt play till someone got me a copy... early 90s no one I knew had that type of complex game installed.

I had the hardest time reading the manual and not being able to use that knowledge... i carried it everywhere, the result I had almost mastered it before i even played !

You can imagine what happened after I finnaly got it... : )) Changed my life!

Was that back in the day when we had to create boot disks to get enough ram to even fire the sim up?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was that back in the day when we had to create boot disks to get enough ram to even fire the sim up?

Ah yes... QEMM, LOADHIGH and whatnot. Those were the days... :-) Tornado anyone??? Real life got in the way, 10 years ago, and I haven't had the time to fly sims since then. Now I'm flying DCS:WH on my laptop, with the arrow keys as a stick... It's not good enough so I'm thinking; "should I buy a proper desktop/HOTAS/TrackIR"? Hell, yes!

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

For anyone that has an iPhone, I recommend the GoodReader app. You can upload PDF's wirelessly with the app and view them with it on your phone. I have the manual with me at all times! :D

+1

Love this on my iPad - reading (the excellent) DCS A-10C manual on it now...

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

> run A:\falcon.exe
>Not enough memory to run Falcon.

.....grrr....

>MEM /C /P

... grrr... mscdex still loaded in high mem.. can't have my CD ROM driver running because it takes too much memory

> edit autoexec.bat
> REM DEVICEHIGH =C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.exe

reboot

... <whistles>

>MEM /C /P

.. grrrr....

>memmaker.exe

... <whistles> ...

A-HAH!

> Loading FALCON. . .

256 colors... niiiiiiiiice... my landing gear looks like four square blocks instead of just one!

600k.gif

Hah.. 600k then... 2,000,000k now. Flightsims back then might as well have been MUDs, but boy were we proud of our Falcons.

There was so much left out back then due to system restraints, not only with graphics, but also on the physics aspect. Now with DCS I can't imagine anything was left out but the smell of JP5 and a sore ass from the seatpan.

Well its already been discussed hundreds of times, but im still amazed how much Falcon 3.0 had to offer back in those days... replays and acmi, campaign, all the different views (padlock was incredible), mission editor, multiplayer, a decent manual and maps, 3 different scenarios, lots of weapons to play with..

setting the standards 19 years ago, true visionaries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

Well its already been discussed hundreds of times, but im still amazed how much Falcon 3.0 had to offer back in those days... replays and acmi, campaign, all the different views (padlock was incredible), mission editor, multiplayer, a decent manual and maps, 3 different scenarios, lots of weapons to play with..

setting the standards 19 years ago, true visionaries

I totally agree. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic Environmental Systems Technician in the Navy at the time. We used a terminal in the shop to enter MAFs and such, but PCs were still for hobbyists for the most part. I heard about Falcon and saved for months and months to buy a 386 so I could fly in my barracks room. I occasionally got time in the real supercomputer driven F14 or F18 flight sims late at night, and still found Falcon to be a challenge.

ED has made an even bigger breakthrough than the Falcon folks did in their time. Falcon was great, but it was a novelty. People are logging real flight hours with DCS. You can see the love in both products, but ED had technical freedom to add more realism and immersion.. thank GOD they took full advantage of it. <applause for the devs>