DCS A-10C Quick Start up Manual

MemphisBelle

Thx for this guide, it's really helpful. Noticed one thing: when the start up procedure is finished, the "anti-skid" light (caution light panel) is still lightened up.

Edited by Gideon

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for this guide, it's really helpful. Noticed one thing: when the start up procedure is finished, the "skid row" light (caution light panel) is still lightened up.

Ahh...damnit...I did forgot it at all, doesn´t it? Will add it as soon as I am home...working on weekends sucks...:D

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Manual updated to Version 2.2

- anti skid switch / Taxi lights switch added

- SAI added

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks lots ManphisBelle, good work , I have my on startup on patch 1.1.0.7 and work real good patch up to 1.1.0.8 and the sound alarm keep come on , because I come from a hard day of work and don't have much time to go on manuals I find on you manual very helpfull and solve my problem so ease .

Once again thanks lots bro. ( Love Warthog and this forum with people like you all the best to you and all )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel® Core™ i7-6850 CPU@3.60GHz @4.068

Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX Motherboard

64 bit operation System- RAM 32.0 GB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OC 8GB

- Disk Drives KINGSTON SVP200S37A 1tb/WDC WD 10EZEX-00ZF5A0 - Samsung ssd 1tb 840 series.

- 3 Samsung 27"SyncMaster 3D Game monitors - Windows 8.1 Pro - TM Hotas Warthog-Trackir5 pro-Saitek Rudder Pedals-Cougar MFD.

Thanks lots ManphisBelle, good work , I have my on startup on patch 1.1.0.7 and work real good patch up to 1.1.0.8 and the sound alarm keep come on , because I come from a hard day of work and don't have much time to go on manuals I find on you manual very helpfull and solve my problem so ease .

Once again thanks lots bro. ( Love Warthog and this forum with people like you all the best to you and all )

Thank you for the words, have fun with the game.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

I am respectfully requesting some clarification on 2 steps here, and by the way, great job, I appreciate it.

Step 20, the bottom note states that it takes about 1 minute for the IFFCC to load, do we have to wait for that to complete before moving to the next step?

Step 26), Press OSB 7 to start the Position Initialization Process, which takes about 3-5 minutes, here again, do I need to wait before proceeding to pressing the NAV Mode?

I only ask because when I first started learning this the other day, I went through it very slowly a couple of times and all seemed ok. Yesterday I simply I ran through this every step much quicker but when I came to step 32, the EAC would not arm, every time I flipped the switch forward, it sprang back to its off position?

Thanks again

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Step 20, the bottom note states that it takes about 1 minute for the IFFCC to load, do we have to wait for that to complete before moving to the next step?

No but you have to let it load before you can do anything that involves the HUD :)

Step 26), Press OSB 7 to start the Position Initialization Process, which takes about 3-5 minutes, here again, do I need to wait before proceeding to pressing the NAV Mode?

Yes, wait until you see NAV INS RDY *FLASHING* before you put it in NAV mode, otherwise it's not fully aligned and is degraded. You should see one of the lines read "T=4.0 0.8 " when it's aligned, takes around 4 minutes.

Hope this helps :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent,,, many thanks!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yes, wait until you see NAV INS RDY *FLASHING* before you put it in NAV mode, otherwise it's not fully aligned and is degraded. You should see one of the lines read "T=4.0 0.8 " when it's aligned, takes around 4 minutes.

Hope this helps :)

Follow-on:

At least for me, there appears to be difference in the time when you can successfully enter into NAV mode, and have the Nav info appear on the TAD, and the later time when the EAC switch will stay "on", as opposed to falling back to "off." Assume there's no way to predict when the EAC switch is operable?

Given the delay, can one move that part of the startup procedure earlier? With the current sequence, it appears that getting the EAC setup can be a timing bottleneck?

Thanks.

There is never any rush to get in the air, other flights need to eliminate both ground and airborne threats, so you do have a lot of minutes to spare for aligning it :p

The EAC will only arm itself if you have all 4 SAS switches on, fully aligned INS and EGI flight mode. You can throw the CDU switches even before you turn on the battery power but it will only start up once the APU generator starts giving it juice.

This isn't exactly procedure but you can switch on the CDU, CICU and IFFCC once the APU gen is going (or before) and start aligning while starting up the engines and doing the preflight BIT. If you're REALLY in a hurry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This isn't exactly procedure but you can switch on the CDU, CICU and IFFCC once the APU gen is going (or before) and start aligning while starting up the engines and doing the preflight BIT. If you're REALLY in a hurry.

Thanks Depth for helping me out in here :thumbup:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Thanks. A couple of follow-up observations:

Step 13: I'm getting the Master Caution Light, plus a blinking APU Gen on the Caution Panel as the Left Engine nears the end of spool-up. I'm pretty sure I've followed all the previous steps carefully. I'm using the Black Sea-Ramp Start mission under Missions in 1.1.0.8. Is there something I should be doing differently?

Step 26: I get T=4.0.0.8 without ever hitting OSB7, and can proceed successfully by hitting OSB 9 at that stage. So it's not clear why OSB7 is needed.

Thanks for all your work in putting this together. It's very helpful cheat sheet, especially with the accompanying pictures!!

Edited by DaddySchlich

Thats the time when the engine generator is coming online. It kinda indicates that you can switch off the APU generator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Step 13: I'm getting the Master Caution Light, plus a blinking APU Gen on the Caution Panel as the Left Engine nears the end of spool-up. I'm pretty sure I've followed all the previous steps carefully. I'm using the Black Sea-Ramp Start mission under Missions in 1.1.0.8. Is there something I should be doing differently?

This seems to be normal. I don´t know the exact reason why master Alarm appears, but I think that is supposed to be just an Information to thje Pilot that somethings happend according to powersupply supported by the engines generators now.

Step 26: I get T=4.0.0.8 without ever hitting OSB7, and can proceed successfully by hitting OSB 9 at that stage. So it's not clear why OSB7 is needed.

The alignment need to be initiated by hitting OSB 7 (Ground). That is an important step because the whole system needs to synchronize with the current position. If you leave it on 4.0 0.8 without doing anythings so the Datas are not synchronized properly and you´d have errors in your Navigation (Thats my guess, I´d need to do some research to proof it)

EDIT: sniped by Laud...:)

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

The alignment need to be initiated by hitting OSB 7 (Ground). That is an important step because the whole system needs to synchronize with the current position. If you leave it on 4.0 0.8 without doing anythings so the Datas are not synchronized properly and you´d have errors in your Navigation (Thats my guess, I´d need to do some research to proof it)

EDIT: sniped by Laud...:)

One reason I asked was that I see no mention of the OSB 7 step in the Startup Procedure in the WH Manual (pp. 432-38), nor on p. 597 of the Manual in the Checklist. Certain things just appear to be a mystery.:unsure:

One reason I asked was that I see no mention of the OSB 7 step in the Startup Procedure in the WH Manual (pp. 432-38), nor on p. 597 of the Manual in the Checklist. Certain things just appear to be a mystery.:unsure:

Not directly. If you wont let CDU finish it´s alignment so you´d get the EAC Switch on the LASTE Panel not set to ON. It always would get back to OFF and you wouldn´t have a working Autopilot, which would further mean that you wont have PAC. So alignment IS necessary to synchronize the Positioning Details with the Aircraft and to get Autopilot working properly.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not saying that Alignment is not necessary. I'm just saying that it appears successfully to align without having to press OSB 7. Iif I wait long enough, the INS NAV READY starts flashing, and the EAC switch stays ON when pressed. At least that's what I'm getting!!

Again, thanks for all your effort in putting together your Tutorials. They're a godsend.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not saying that Alignment is not necessary. I'm just saying that it appears successfully to align without having to press OSB 7. Iif I wait long enough, the INS NAV READY starts flashing, and the EAC switch stays ON when pressed. At least that's what I'm getting!!

Have you tried what happend if you wont click on OSB 7 on the CDU/Align page? When I hit OSB 13 after DTS upload then INS alignment is always on a random Number. I have to click OSB 7 to initiate INS alignment. Otherwise full EGI INS navigation capability is not available. Or do you have other experiences in this?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Never ever had to initiate the initial ground alignment!!! Except for turning the CDU & EGI on...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never ever had to initiate the initial ground alignment!!! Except for turning the CDU & EGI on...

OK, I gonna check this in the Manula again. If it is so, so I´ll change it in the Manual.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Again, thanks for all your effort in putting together your Tutorials. They're a godsend.

OK, you seem to be right. Haven´t went through this part deep enough I guess. I always do by using OSB 7 after DTS Upload, but it seems to be unnecessary now when I went through the guide more accurate.

So Ground alignment starts automatically by applying power to CDU and EGI.

I gonna change this in the manual.

Additionally. My way is not wrong...it´s just unnecessary and takes more time than actually needed.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Certainly, your way is not wrong. I did find in 1.1.0.8 version of Flight Manual on page 190 that the INS configuration defaults to Ground alignment when first starting up the aircraft. Logical enough.

On the question of the Master Caution toward the end of the Left Engine start, I've now noticed that the EGT of the APU immediately heats up when starting the engine, and that the Master Caution comes on when the EGT of the Left Engine surpasses that of the APU. When you hit Master Caution light to halt the warning sound, the EGTs of both the Left Engine and the APU decrease immediately.

Spooling up the Right Engine has a similar effect on the EGTs, but the Master Caution does not come on. Not sure what this means, if anything, but it seems to be standard.

Best

1. Once the warning sound appears, the APU GEN light comes up on the warning panel. That's when the engine core rpm reaches the point where the ENG GEN kicks in. Once you switch the APU GEN to OFF, warning sound and light both disappear (as well as the Master Caution of course).

2. It should in no way affect your systems performance, when you switch Master Caution OFF, except for the sound to disappear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]