I did it......but i feel so dirty!!

S D

Way to look down at ppl that are sharing a joke - maybe try to get in on it instead of looking down your nose at others?

I doubt there's anyone on here that's really 'scared' of their spouses. We're all adults here and can probably easily drop the $400 right now - even if your bank balance is below that (doubtful), there is the plastic fantastic.

What we're all fully aware of and you mentioned in your post (but failed to fully understand) that it is our own money and we do have bills to pay. There's the rent/mortgage/utilities/cc payments/car/transport/grocery and don't get me started on the cost of children.

What I'm trying to say is that while we can buy the TM the day it comes out, most of us have a some sort of financial nous that weighs up the cost of the bills you mentioned with something that's basically a non-essential.

It boils down to how long you can hold out and whether you can justify the price for yourself.

In a sense, most of us are using our partners as our money conscience, if you will - and we're the devils advocate.

So what's really stopping us impulse buying it is the knowledge of the responsibilities that we all have - unless you're still living with your parents.

Part of the fun is lamenting what our partners will say and their reactions. However, if it comes down to it and I tell my wife - "Honey, this is something that I really want, right now" then I know that she won't try to stop me or nag about it. And it's not gonna be a deal breaker. I mean c'mon - losing your relationship over $400..... I don't think so.

I doubt there's anyone on here that's really 'scared' of their spouses ?

Umm ? are you really sure of it ?:huh:

A certain plane component hasn t that nickname for nothing, does it ? Nor does hurricane have female names for nothing, nor the furies are females and not males for no reasons.

We're all adults here and can probably easily drop the $400 right now?

Umm ? are you really sure of it, taking of course that, you're a responsable person ?:huh:

Part of the fun is lamenting what our partners will say and their reactions. However, if it comes down to it and I tell my wife - "Honey, this is something that I really want, right now" then I know that she won't try to stop me or nag about it. And it's not gonna be a deal breaker. I mean c'mon - losing your relationship over $400..... I don't think so.

No... you probably won t loose a relationship for it, but she'll probably will get it out the drawer 5 years later..."if you didn t waste so much money on unworthy thing...." they so master that art...

And you would be surprised on how much people refrain from doing things they would like to do just because of their counterpart reaction to it. You probably have a nice wife and be glad for such.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is escalating....

Anyway just for the record, the news of my purchase actually went down better than i thought it would. I did get the inevitable "what's wrong with the one you've got", but i couldnt think of a reason that would make sense to her so i just showed the high res photo's. There was a bit of eyebrow movement, and some movement of the head on the "roll" axis. :)

But in the end she admitted it did "look nice"...... VICTORY!!

:joystick::joystick:

Wow this is escalating....

Anyway just for the record, the news of my purchase actually went down better than i thought it would. I did get the inevitable "what's wrong with the one you've got", but i couldnt think of a reason that would make sense to her so i just showed the high res photo's. There was a bit of eyebrow movement, and some movement of the head on the "roll" axis. :)

But in the end she admitted it did "look nice"...... VICTORY!!

:joystick::joystick:

Well played and congrats! :thumbup:

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • 16GB of Corsair what difference does it make RAM
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760
  • Couple SSD's and a couple mechanical drives
  • 27" Acer LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080)
  • 19" ELO Touchscreen (1280 x 1024)
  • :joystick: Saitek X-52
  • :joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals
  • TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
  • Helios running custom profile for A10C based on Loz's profile.

I doubt there's anyone on here that's really 'scared' of their spouses ?

Umm ? are you really sure of it ?:huh:

A certain plane component hasn t that nickname for nothing, does it ? Nor does hurricane have female names for nothing, nor the furies are females and not males for no reasons.

Um, I think you're mixing up your arguments here, or going off on a tangent or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

So are you saying that we should fear women because of a generalised notion of a woman's fury? Doesn't that kinda go against your first argument...

If someone in here has married a woman that is utterly controlling, I doubt they'd be able to play or even buy a computer for simming in the first place. We're all here cos our partners have accpeted that this is our hobby.

Umm ? are you really sure of it, taking of course that, you're a responsable person ?:huh:

And yes - read my post again.

We can all probably drop the $400 now - it's just what we're willing to give up for it and how you would justify it for yourself. Not what your spouse thinks. When you look at it, $400 is not that much - I seriously doubt that most of us would miss it after a month - two at max.

No... you probably won t loose a relationship for it, but she'll probably will get it out the drawer 5 years later..."if you didn t waste so much money on unworthy thing...." they so master that art...

I don't understand what you're arguing here.

Is your point that she'll look at the purchase as something to use against us 5 yrs down the track? Isn't this going against your earlier argument also? That a a man should be able to buy what he wants without fear of any repercussions from the missus.

Well, adopting the 50/50 principle you stated - that marriages are about being equal - I'll just look at her handbags/shoes and say 5 yrs down the track - "if you hadn't wasted so much money on that LV wallet...." (cos that's how much the TM is worth, not even a designer handbag)

And you would be surprised on how much people refrain from doing things they would like to do just because of their counterpart reaction to it. You probably have a nice wife and be glad for such.

I'd like to think I have an average wife, as do most of us I'm willing to bet. There's nothing special about my woman. She rolls her eyes and arches her eyebrow with the best of them.

As such, I'm willing making a generalisation myself - that marriages really are 50/50 and if it came down to it, she probably won't stop you from buying the TM right now if you tell her that it's what you really wanted.

Your argument is that it's our spouses that stop us from purchasing what we want.

Mine is that it's not really them, it's really us and our guilty conscience but it's fun to blame the other half. We're not 'scared' of our wives per se.

Um, I think you're mixing up your arguments here, or going off on a tangent or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

So are you saying that we should fear women because of a generalised notion of a woman's fury? Doesn't that kinda go against your first argument...

If someone in here has married a woman that is utterly controlling, I doubt they'd be able to play or even buy a computer for simming in the first place. We're all here cos our partners have accpeted that this is our hobby.

And yes - read my post again.

We can all probably drop the $400 now - it's just what we're willing to give up for it and how you would justify it for yourself. Not what your spouse thinks. When you look at it, $400 is not that much - I seriously doubt that most of us would miss it after a month - two at max.

I don't understand what you're arguing here.

Is your point that she'll look at the purchase as something to use against us 5 yrs down the track? Isn't this going against your earlier argument also? That a a man should be able to buy what he wants without fear of any repercussions from the missus.

Well, adopting the 50/50 principle you stated - that marriages are about being equal - I'll just look at her handbags/shoes and say 5 yrs down the track - "if you hadn't wasted so much money on that LV wallet...." (cos that's how much the TM is worth, not even a designer handbag)

I'd like to think I have an average wife, as do most of us I'm willing to bet. There's nothing special about my woman. She rolls her eyes and arches her eyebrow with the best of them.

As such, I'm willing making a generalisation myself - that marriages really are 50/50 and if it came down to it, she probably won't stop you from buying the TM right now if you tell her that it's what you really wanted.

Your argument is that it's our spouses that stop us from purchasing what we want.

Mine is that it's not really them, it's really us and our guilty conscience but it's fun to blame the other half. We're not 'scared' of our wives per se.

*cough* drop it ;)

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760

Why?

It's just a discussion. No malice or any bad feeling is intended. Think of it as the type of talk you'd just have with buddies sitting around with a beer.

mmmmmm beer

Makes me think of every night when I'm firing up the engines of my Ka-50 and while they spool I'm enjoying a cocktail. I usually envision myself as a grizzled old Russian pilot with a 2-day old beard who won't be told what to do by some stuffy bureaucrat about alcohol and flying or some such nonesense.

What were we talking about again?

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760

Why?

It's just a discussion. No malice or any bad feeling is intended. Think of it as the type of talk you'd just have with buddies sitting around with a beer.

Right on...

Well if your wife never brought back something old and not related to the present point just to show you how wrong you are, or to try to make you feel guilty... YOU´RE A LUCKY BASTARD!:smilewink:

And no you can t beat them at this game... at least i wasn t able.:(

I had to kick one, because i wasn t living the life i wanted but the life she wanted me to have, not negociable.

And yes lot of people abort runs just because they don t want have the risk to hear the: "Hydaulic failure, right engine failure, WCS failure"...again. :D

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Soooooo... Back to the Warthog!

How are you guys going to be setting yours up?

On the desk? Building a mini setup for it?

Full out simpit?

I myself will be making a small wooden setup to run mine on, right now I actually managed to convert an old electric drumkit into my current simpit, check it out!

IMG_1716.JPG.be4872300395aef10bee4cf403b6dee6.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG.e1b2f780d4e85aff01bd2fabda50e32e.JPG

476th vFG Alumni

Soooooo... Back to the Warthog!

How are you guys going to be setting yours up?

On the desk? Building a mini setup for it?

Full out simpit?

I myself will be making a small wooden setup to run mine on, right now I actually managed to convert an old electric drumkit into my current simpit, check it out!

That's pretty sweet!

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760

I am slowly converting the 'man' half of our study into a cockpit. First a HOTAS appeared, then TrackIR, and now 2xMFD's

Next week a TM hog and retirement for the Cougar.

She has some pictures of cats.

[and a wardrobe full of expensive and worn once clothes and shoes]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

I am slowly converting the 'man' half of our study into a cockpit. First a HOTAS appeared, then TrackIR, and now 2xMFD's

Next week a TM hog and retirement for the Cougar.

She has some pictures of cats.

[and a wardrobe full of expensive and worn once clothes and shoes]

Same here, i seeking a way to build a more pitlike form that would remain plausible to use like a working desk.

I'm not sure yet, i cant really make any kind of pit or massive setup due to the room available. I definatly need to figure out a way to attach the stick in a central position.

I'm liking the "tubular" ideas tho. I'm thinking maybe some kind of bracket system under the desk that i can slide some tubes with stick and throttle mounts on into place. Then just some webbing strapping with clips to secure the two onto the mounts. Hmmmm another project while a wait for the WH to turn up...

I've already ordered some bits today for remaking my power glove as the one i have was a mockup which i ended up using longterm.

Edited by Shadow.D.

As for seat i got a cheat and confortable solution, some BMW or another crashed car front seat, so it can goes UP, front rear and recline as per your mood, and its confortable.

The problem is putting the goat inside the house :D, redesign office room.... I think i ll have to wait to when o move though, you can have all you want at the same time...sight.

I've been reading this thread all day from work. Must say that i've laughed hard several times.. :)

I've got the exact same problem as some of you. I've been trying to convince my girlfriend that i badly need a new HOTAS.

The only response i had was the evil eye.

After a while i remembered that a friend of mine wanted me to participate in GGN (Gotland Grand National, the worlds largest enduro race).

I mentioned that to my girlfriend, that a new bike would cost me around 4000$ + equipment, fees and it is fairly possible that i may break a bone or two while racing. So it's alot safer to fly helicopter and airplanes from my computer at home..

And that made it! Now i can buy a new TW without hiding it from my girlfriend. win-win

• Like 1

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Hehe this brings back memories of when I first bought my Cougar after using the original FLCS for years. I had sold the FLCS to a mate and managed to sneak the Cougar in unseen from the wife.

I put the cougar in exactly the same position as the FLCS joy/throttle and she clocked it within 10 seconds...

"what's that?" she said pointing to the shiny new Cougar.

"hmm, my joystick honey" I mumbled.

"You must think I was born yesterday, that's different"

"Hmm, well it's sort of the same" I mumbled again.

"Sort of?" she thundered. "so how much did this 'sort of' joystick cost?"....

I am always amazed how she manages to notice my new kit, and yes she wears the trousers :D

Tell the HOTAS she'll have plenty of gun with the GAU-8 once you squeeze the trigger :D

I've got the exact same problem as some of you. I've been trying to convince my girlfriend that i badly need a new HOTAS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not entirely on topic but as I feel I've missed out by not having TrackIR I just ordered a TrackIR 5 + pro clip - when she was out of the room of course.

Now I'm just hoping that when it arrives she'll assume that such a small thing is a lot cheaper than it actually is :music_whistling:

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Oh man.

A wife is one thing. But a GF getting in the way of your simming?

Kick her ass to the curb man.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

You guys are cracking me up. Makes me glad I have an understanding woman to share my life with. Yes, I know for a fact that if I tell her I need a HOTAS she'd be fine as long as she knows it's only 60 USD and comes with a rebate of 30 bucks.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P