Home Cockpit Buildup for Dummies

Tnt Snipes

As I understand it, each card is seen by the Operating System as a unique device.

IIRC, you are limited to 127 USB devices. USB hubs count as USB devices too, so subtract whatever existing devices you have/plan, and any needed additional hubs, to see how much room you have left.

Basically, you can attach more BU0836X cards than you are likely to need, let alone afford. Short of building something on the order of a commercial nuclear power plant control room simulator, you should be good to go. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

As I understand it, each card is seen by the Operating System as a unique device.

IIRC, you are limited to 127 USB devices. USB hubs count as USB devices too, so subtract whatever existing devices you have/plan, and any needed additional hubs, to see how much room you have left.

Basically, you can attach more BU0836X cards than you are likely to need, let alone afford. Short of building something on the order of a commercial nuclear power plant control room simulator, you should be good to go. ;)

DAMMIT :mad:.

No need to diespair, my friend: use OC cards. Only 1 USB port and you can have hundreds of buttons.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

"OC cards" are cards available from www.opencockpits.com and it is a system of cards available for multiple functions. Check out their website. It isn't as simple to implement as a joystick controller (basically what Leo's boards are), but FAR more versatile.

thanks for the link feed, but you see i am not from around here... and i dont think people around here would know about the card... i would really appreciate if someone could post a picture of the oc card that can serve hundreds of switches on one usb... that would be gr8.... i could easily find it then

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Snipes,

There's actually more than one card involved with Opencockpits stuff. There are pictures for all of them on the OC site. Here's the master card:

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.php?name=Content2&pa=showpage&pid=30

It can be used by itself if I understand correctly, but you can also connect it to a USB expansion card. There are other cards needed it you wanted encoders, motors, etc.

If you're looking for pictures of the cards wired up, then there is also a gallery on the OC site. Otherwise, you can probably find some images through Google.

I hope that helps. :)

TM MFD's + Mini LCD's

planning to get myself TM MFD's for A10c Simpit, Later i would be attaching Mini LCD's behind them... i dont know if its the best way to go about it or there is something better... budget is also an issue.... TM MFD's are not that expensive secondly i can get LCD's here for cheaper rates as well... following are my concerns... for which i need your guidance...

1. Is this the right way... if not! what is...

2. If yes... which Brand/model of LCD i should go for (user friendly)

3. Got them... I have Nvidia 8800GT 512 MBRAM, will it support two LCD's other than my main Acer?

4. If yes... there is only one extra port other than one i am already using for my main screen... how can i attach two lcd's...?

5. If gets attached... how it will effect my game... as in will i need to make any changes in the aspect ratio or something...

Sorry for being a pain in the arse... would love simple and good awnsers...:helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hello snipes!

1. Yep, it's one way to do it

2. Stay away from the USB monitors, which are the only common small ones sold retail. You may need to go to ebay to find some small monitors with VGA input. They all come directly from sellers in China from what I've seen

3. the card will only support 2 monitor outputs. You can hook up a TripleHead2go to turn many monitors into one, but that does not solve your problem

4. If your motherboard has another PCIe slot available, get a second card which will give you two or more additional outputs.

5. Yes you will have some setup to do in one of the config files, but it's not difficult. Game performance will slow down because you are pushing more pixels, and you will have to run in windowed mode.

hello snipes!

1. Yep, it's one way to do it

2. Stay away from the USB monitors, which are the only common small ones sold retail. You may need to go to ebay to find some small monitors with VGA input. They all come directly from sellers in China from what I've seen

3. the card will only support 2 monitor outputs. You can hook up a TripleHead2go to turn many monitors into one, but that does not solve your problem

4. If your motherboard has another PCIe slot available, get a second card which will give you two or more additional outputs.

5. Yes you will have some setup to do in one of the config files, but it's not difficult. Game performance will slow down because you are pushing more pixels, and you will have to run in windowed mode.

(2)dont have VGA Small LCD's here... only AV, we can use a converter and turn them into VGA LCD's... is that okay.

(3)will i have to merge all screens inorder to get the results by using Triplehead2Go... or same screens setup in all the monitors...? i think the second option will work if i play it in windowed mode...!!

but will i have to reduce Main monitor's resolution as of LCD's for smooth running or its ok to have different resolutions...?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Question: How many "BU0836X cards" one can attach at a time..??? :helpsmilie:

Since BU0836X is see as game device for OS and Direct Imput limit is 16 devices (each whit 8 axis, up to 128 buttons and POV), this is not the limit for game controllers?

Sokol1_Br

Hi Sokol1,

The original question that I replied to was about how many "BU0836X cards" could be attached.

For standard USB game controllers, you would have to look at how many USB devices they function as (ie. I believe at least one current HOTAS on the market is 'seen' as more than one USB device).

As for the "BU0836X cards", each one of them is a USB device. It *is* the game controller, even though you may have a number of input devices wired up to it.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong), we are still limited to 127 USB devices on a computer.

I'm not aware of an OS or computer limit of 16 Direct Input devices. Back in 2004, a Microsoft employee replied to a question about it here :

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

icon1.gif Re: Maximum number of DirectX DirectInput Devices

DirectInput is limited by the number of devices that can be connected.

Usually this limitation is within USB that is theoretically 127 per channel.

This isn't a common scenario so there isn't extensive testing in this area.

I have successfully tested 48 connected devices at one time, your results

may vary.

Joshua Smith

DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs

Microsoft

[/Quote]

Now, while looking into this, just now, I did see a some sort of reference to a game programming library (Allegro) having a limit of 16 Direct Input devices. It didn't appear to be about what I was looking for, so I didn't click on the Google link to look into it in more detail.

It may be that the Windows XX OS has a limit of 16 Direct input devices. So far, I'm not finding a definitive, authoritative source for that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

(2)dont have VGA Small LCD's here... only AV, we can use a converter and turn them into VGA LCD's... is that okay.

(3)will i have to merge all screens inorder to get the results by using Triplehead2Go... or same screens setup in all the monitors...? i think the second option will work if i play it in windowed mode...!!

but will i have to reduce Main monitor's resolution as of LCD's for smooth running or its ok to have different resolutions...?

Guys i need a little help here...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
Guys i need a little help here...

Knock Knock!!!! Hey guys I need some help here... please sombody reply to this post.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Knock Knock!!!! Hey guys I need some help here... please sombody reply to this post.

Im trying to understand the question. I read back threw your post and couldn't figure out what your asking exactly. Are you asking about using different resolutions through multiple screens?

EDIT: If you attach a second monitor to your 8800gts you can use that to display your mfds. See photo from this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=63117

Edited by Krebs20
ADDED MORE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im trying to understand the question. I read back threw your post and couldn't figure out what your asking exactly. Are you asking about using different resolutions through multiple screens?

EDIT: If you attach a second monitor to your 8800gts you can use that to display your mfds. See photo from this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=63117

-Initially i was thinking of getting myself TM MFD's and putting up two 7"x5" LCDs behind them... have zero technical knowledge, so I was asking how can i make it possible...

-On the other hand i think what you have done is much better solution, it would not only give me MFD Displays but oter front panel instruments as well....

-Is helo free though...?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]