Can we get a poll up to gauge the amount of players that play online vs offline

Spartan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of which (and this is no commitment to fly online) does anyone know of a EST (Canada/US) flight squadron of 'serious' pilots who will be flying DCS:A-10, IL-2: Cliffs of Dover, etc? I used to fly with JG2 and JG52 in WWII Online (and short stints in IL2:FB) some time ago. I am thinking of getting back into some serious flying online. BTW: Serious here means 'realistic' procedures and action, cooperatively against an AI or player opposing force but not a dogfight server. Also, a group with a little patience for those who are a little slower in the switchology department. :-)

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

You mean put a poll online to determine the ratio of people playing on-line to the people playing off-line? Don't bother. First, by putting your poll online you're skewing your results towards the on-line side, second, such statistics are already available 'somewhere' and point to the on-line community fraction being quite small in general.

i think personally this will help to solve alot of disagreements between people as to the amount of people that actually purchase this game to be apart of a online squad vs just playing solo missions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I play both. Practice solo engagements offline and fly Coop missions with squad-mates online. I'd be hesitant to by a combat flight sim that I couldn't fly online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flight Box: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE, i7-2700K @ 4.5GHz, 8GB DDR3, Kingston 96GB SSD, EVGA GTX-570 HD 2560MB, Sony KDL-32BX420 32", 2 x Lilliput UM-70, Win7 Pro 64, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals

You mean put a poll online to determine the ratio of people playing on-line to the people playing off-line? Don't bother. First, by putting your poll online you're skewing your results towards the on-line side, second, such statistics are already available 'somewhere' and point to the on-line community fraction being quite small in general.

those statistics ""somewhere" would be very appreciated if you had them, or could atleast point to them.

:thumbup:

-Corsair Obsidian 800D

-Corsair H50

-Corsair 1600mhz 7-7-7-20

-Intel i7 930 @ 3.99ghz

-EVGA X58 Classified

-EVGA GTX480 @2 In SLI

-EVGA GTX 285 Physx

-Silverstone 1500 psu

-Logitech G940 (retired)

-TM Warthog HOTAS

-42" Sony X-Series 1080P LCD

-17" Dell Acc Monitor @2

Currently without a squadron so 100% offline for me.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Online for the 31st once we get a beta that works. Waiting for B5 :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

They're not available to the public. Just telling you your poll won't yield anything realistic.

That being the case then how can there be forum posts almost certain that the online players make the minority vs offline being the majority?

Its all good saying we are a minority in the scheme of things but when not backed by hard facts let alone any facts at all, it makes it a bit hard to believe that there are alot more dudes playing this offline vs online.

Online gaming has been an ever evolving evoloution since the release of the the next gen consoles eg, xbox 360 ps3.

Aswell as fast broadband internet being more and more readily available to the majority of the public, pc games in my opinion are very very well turning online.

DCS is no exception.

Especially when the majority of pc games these days require online activation, consumers are almost forced to go online and visit a forum or two for problem solving, therefore introducing them to the community and then in turn they discover Online Play,

Its a matter of when not if.

"Offline" people wouldn't even know whether the new beta was out without visiting here.

In my opinion and with past experiences, granted its only 10yrs worth but none the less, with gaming both on the pc and console i think online is where it is "going to be at" for entertainment and ultimatly human interaction trumps AI interaction any day and more and more people are seeing that at a rapid rate.

Pioneers of this ONLINE "craze" are MMORPG games.

Hate to say it, but WOW "world of warcraft" started this evoloution and more and more game's are following suit with focusing on online at a scary pace.

In my opinion and after discussions with people both online and offline (including my mum :huh:),

Players are looking for more out of there games these days, and online is where they are looking.

Again, the DCS franchise is by no means an exception this.

Cheers,

Aaron

Edited by Spartan

-Corsair Obsidian 800D

-Corsair H50

-Intel i7 930 @ 3.99ghz

-EVGA X58 Classified

-EVGA GTX480 @2 In SLI

-EVGA GTX 285 Physx

-Silverstone 1500 psu

-Logitech G940 (retired)

-TM Warthog HOTAS

-17" Dell Acc Monitor @2

Online gaming in a general sense does not bear resemblance to online gaming for LO/FC2/DCS. Make a guess as to how many copies are sold, and how many 'frequent flyers' you see on the forum, and you might start getting somewhere. Most flight sims 'suffer' the same, so in that respect no, DCS is not an exception.

And sorry to be blunt here but opinion does not matter. Yes, things are becoming more online, but they're not doing so over night, and certainly not when it comes to flight sims. DCS isn't being left in the dust - DCS is moving forward, but at its own pace. ED isn't exactly a huge company and they have to pick and choose what feature is worked on next. MP will get a better treatment at some point, don't you worry.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Online gaming in a general sense does not bear resemblance to online gaming for LO/FC2/DCS. Make a guess as to how many copies are sold, and how many 'frequent flyers' you see on the forum, and you might start getting somewhere. Most flight sims 'suffer' the same, so in that respect no, DCS is not an exception.

And sorry to be blunt here but opinion does not matter. Yes, things are becoming more online, but they're not doing so over night, and certainly not when it comes to flight sims. DCS isn't being left in the dust - DCS is moving forward, but at its own pace. ED isn't exactly a huge company and they have to pick and choose what feature is worked on next. MP will get a better treatment at some point, don't you worry.

Each to his own belief and experiences,

Thats the beauty of an opinion, doesnt matter if it counts or not and its yours to have free to share.

But without facts, threads like current and others like this http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=64401&page=4it remain the same, views and opinions.

A "you think" "i think" scenario and i say the following with the upmost respect, as i say it without knowlege of your past experience but both of our opinions are just that at this stage an opinion, that acording to your post "dont matter".

It would be really nice to see the amount of copies that are sold, both black shark and a-10 vs the amount of registered users, still semi active of course.

It would give people an idea of how many more there are out there.

Edited by Spartan
found the post

-Corsair Obsidian 800D

-Corsair H50

-Intel i7 930 @ 3.99ghz

-EVGA X58 Classified

-EVGA GTX480 @2 In SLI

-EVGA GTX 285 Physx

-Silverstone 1500 psu

-Logitech G940 (retired)

-TM Warthog HOTAS

-17" Dell Acc Monitor @2

Trade secrets.

It would be really nice to see the amount of copies that are sold, both black shark and a-10 vs the amount of registered users, still semi active of course.

It would give people an idea of how many more there are out there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How many of those total purchases go the usual game route and get played for a few months then left behind? It doesn't really have much impact what the online habits of those people are as they are short term players. Perhaps the drop out rate could be improved if MP was more community based from within the sim to pick up these people? No doubt ED is pushing forward on those sorts of things.

I'm more interested in the long term player base (Quite a small ratio?) and the ratio of those that are online for MP for any amount. My feeling is that it is quite high.

Besides this, how on earth are you supposed to even know about this public beta, let alone aquire this sim, without being online? The forum link is front centre of the ED website.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

Besides this, how on earth are you supposed to even know about this public beta, let alone aquire this sim, without being online? The forum link is front centre of the ED website.

Ads in print media, e.g.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Honestly, how many people would be cut off from the net, see an ad for A-10c WH in a local mag, get some friend to DL it for them and have them burn it and send it to them so they can install and play? :dunno:

It makes for good comedy. :)

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.