A-10C Air-to-Air Tactics

tdar

Hey guys,

I've been playing some missions and campaigns and i feel like i'm slowly getting the hang of engaging ground targets. But I always seem to get shot down by some pesky Su-25 if there isn't any CAP present and my wingman is overwhelmed. I couldn't find a dedicated thread for air-to-air defensive tactics on the A-10C so I decided to start this thread. What is the best way to search and track a target with an aircraft that does not have an onboard radar? AWACS vectors can be handy, but in a merged scenario if you lose track of the target the AWACS updates are usually outdated the moment one receives them. I do find that once in Air-to-Air mode that pressing TMS Up Short to have the sidewinder seeker head to a circular scan about its boresight is quite useful to get a lock. I haven't really grasped the advantage of the Air-to-Air mode on the TGP, because there is no indication on the HUD as to where the TGP's field of view is. Also, is it possible to activate a 'gun funnel' when in Air-to-Air mode? I find that I usually have to guess (based on the GAU-8 boresight cross) where the rounds will land when I am engaging an air target with guns.

Any help would be welcome!

Edited by tdar
spelling

The gun funnel is available; when you're in air-to-air mode with the HUD as the SOI, use DMS left/right to cycle through the modes. The size of the funnel is calculated for the wingspan of a particular aircraft; you can see which one in the mod indicator on the left of the HUD, and enable/disable them via the IFFCC setup/test menu.

The TGP can conceivably be used to slave the AIM-9 seeker head to your target (make TGP the SPI, and use china hat fwd long). In practice... I dunno. I don't have anything useful to contribute on air-to-air tactics, aside from "run away if at all possible". :)

To prosecute targets via TGP:

# Set the Depressible Pipper to 41 mils (3 degrees)

# Locate and track target in Point Track mode (TMS FWD Short)

# Set HUD as SOI (Coolie Hat Up)

# Set AA mode (MMCB Long)

# Slave AIM-9 seeker to TGP LOS (China Hat FWD Long)

# Confirm tone and launch.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It depends on the opponent. From my experience: Anything which shoots back is extremely dangerous and effective at doing so when it's AI controlled. E.g. Ka-50 will get you with Vikhr as soon as it can point its nose at you, one shot, one kill. I found the only way to engage them is to fly high directly over them and then dive at almost 90 deg straight down. Quickly get an AIM-9 off and then yank the stick in your stomach. Just hope his wingman doesn't get an angle at you. Forget about the GAU. When there is more than one shark, although you may get the first, it will generally get you too low and too close to avoid the second's Vikhr or gun. I found Su-25 easier provided you spot them first get an energy advantage and keep them in sight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

As I said: one shot, one kill. Maybe an appeal to ED to loosen up the AI targeting precision would be in order?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

thanks for the tips guys, will try the gun funnel out and re-do the air-to-air training mission with the TGP properly (every time i do that training mission i just manually slew the AIM-9 seeker over one of the frogfoots and shoot it down without thinking!)

T

# Locate and track target in Point Track mode (TMS FWD Short)

This cant possibly be as easy as you make it sound! :D I have enough trouble tracking ground targets with the TGP...tips?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The voice of the F-14 "Ambush" Trailer and F-14 Tomcat Instructor Pilot

My Rig: Intel i5-7600k | MSI Z-270A PRO | 16GB DDR4 2400 | MSI nVidia GTX 1660 Ti | Saitek X52 Pro | TIR 4 w Pro Clip

Well, it isn't so easy. For TMS FWD Short to work you have to first point the TGP at your opponent. Which in many cases may not be trivial...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Keep in mind that the A-10 has an excellent turn radius and turn speed, on par with a fighter such as the F-16 or MiG-29.

What it lacks is a decent thrust to weight, making a sustained turning fight a losing proposition. However, if need be you can make a very fast, very hard instantaneous turn.

Another thing to keep in mind is that fast mover pilots don't fly with the gear up below 5,000 feet. It is God's honest truth and is written in the good book.

Bring your hawg down and attempt to lose yourself in the ground clutter. Below 2,000 feet without the gear down fast movers fill up their piddle bags. Again, in the good book.

Dell Studio XPS 1650

Intel i7 1.60 ghz

6gb ram

300mb HD

ATI Mobility Radeon 4670

This cant possibly be as easy as you make it sound! :D I have enough trouble tracking ground targets with the TGP...tips?

Well, it isn't so easy. For TMS FWD Short to work you have to first point the TGP at your opponent. Which in many cases may not be trivial...

It's as easy as spotting a target and maintaining visual - Quite used to it being a T-Toad driver my entire Virtual Pilot life and not being reliant on radar to spank fast-jet jockeys every now and then........:D

Back on track:

Once visual, maintain and turn to target. With TGP boresighted and depressible pipper set, it's simply a matter of flying the pipper in the HUD over the target and hitting TMS Fwd Short and the TGP will do the rest. You do not need to have your head in the cockpit fiddling with the TGP - a mere glance confirming track will suffice.

So yes - It really is that easy :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 2 years later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus P8Z77-M PRO // Core i7 -3770K@ 4300MHz // 8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Blu // x4 WD Black HDD RAID0 // GeForce GTX 660 Ti x3 SLI /// Sound Blaster EVO ZXR Headphones /// Logitech K800 KB // Logitech G700 Mouse // TrackIR with

:D:D Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog :D:D

What's the point of having the TGP in the loop if you are going to find the target with your eyes anyway? Why not just lock the target with Sidewinder in the first place?

You can do that in most cases. However, if you've got 2 targets close by there's no guarantee you'll lock the right target. If you use the TGP to track the target you want, you can then slave the sidewinder seeker to the TGP.

• 1 month later...

Plus the TGP have a lot more range vs trying to get a growl at a WVR boogie, It always conveniently tracks rather well. Sorry but I am just horrible at BVR without a radar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus P8Z77-M PRO // Core i7 -3770K@ 4300MHz // 8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Blu // x4 WD Black HDD RAID0 // GeForce GTX 660 Ti x3 SLI /// Sound Blaster EVO ZXR Headphones /// Logitech K800 KB // Logitech G700 Mouse // TrackIR with

:D:D Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog :D:D