New pilot! Question while waiting for my Hotas!

fiveohmike

Hey Guys,

Just joined the A10 community. I use to play flight sims back in lat 90's early 2k's....didnt see any good ones come out. I am in love with the A10, so I saw that this was released and decided it was time to get back into the sim world.

So far I have purchased and downloaded the game (well downloading right now).

Also after some reasearch, I got what I feel is the best HOTAS for what I could afford. I ordered a Saitek X52 Pro Fligth and it will be here Wednesday.

So the question is, can I start learning the basics with the keyboard and mouse?

Any suggestions/tips for this FNG?

Thanks,

Mike

A-10C Noob - Watch out, I may happen to fly my hog into your car!

Win 7x64 - Core-i7 4770k, 16GB Ram, Titan X, Obutto Cockpit with 3x 27" screens.

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't try flying if I didn't have a joystick with a throttle. You could try, but I suspect that it'll only be frustrating. It will also mean learning a LOT of keyboard commands that you won't need when you get your HOTAS. If I was you, I would start reading the manual and familiarizing myself with the theory behind the different systems of the A-10. That's time well spent!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did exactly the same thing mate bought this game learnt most of it using the keyboard and once my x52 pro turned up only took an hour or so to get used to the controls.

To be honest you probably won't have grasped much by Wednesday anyway.

Bearing in mind I still had a joystick to operate the flying controls....

Have Fun

Jason

I submit to you sir, that flying without a stick is no better than driving without a steering wheel. :joystick: However, you'll be able to run through the first tutorial, and practice the startup procedure. :)

Heh Ill do this for sure, im just so pumped to get into this!

I was actually surprised to see how large the SIM community is on this forum, and am glad that it hasn't died off!

Win 7x64 - Core-i7 4770k, 16GB Ram, Titan X, Obutto Cockpit with 3x 27" screens.

Are there any good manuals (besides the main one, and the quick start) that I should grab, or how about some useful checklists to have handy?

you could start up and play with the cdu and other stuff in the pit so your more familiar with everything.

be sure to make "whoooosh" sounds so your family thinks your completely insane.

welcome aboard

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Well I got the aircraft started just using the mouse and following the tutorial! Now for more practice?

ps...anyways to force the graphics higher in this game? I am currently running:

Everything at High setting

2560x1600 resolution

but im wondering what the Clutter slider is on the left?

My system is super beast so I just want to max out the graphics as high as possible:

System Specs:

i7-985x @ 4.16gHz

Two GTX-580's OC'ed in SLI mode

12gB 1600Mhz ram

Thanks!

but im wondering what the Clutter slider is on the left?

My system is super beast so I just want to max out the graphics as high as possible

I'm assuming clutter is the altitude of the player where bushes and ground objects start rendering. With your rig those aren't the droids you're looking for. Just set it to 500 and move along. Move along. :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm assuming clutter is the altitude of the player where bushes and ground objects start rendering. With your rig those aren't the droids you're looking for. Just set it to 500 and move along. Move along. :book:

Lol will do, thanks!

I'd read the manual while waiting for the stick :D

On it! Read through 100pages so far....good stuff, trying to correlate it to anything I can do on the tarmac

Doing ramp starts while waiting for a hotas in the mail would drive me crazy! Oh the pain! A true test of patience that will be.

GL

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Doing ramp starts while waiting for a hotas in the mail would drive me crazy! Oh the pain! A true test of patience that will be.

GL

Ive gone to full power and crashed into other planes on the tarmac while waiting trying to use the keyboard for steering lol. the wait is killing me.

I'd advise you take a long 'rose tinted' eye on a pair of pedals, as a newbie pilot myself within hours of getting my first HOTAS (cos of this sim) I realised that I wasn't going to get away without them.

The other thing I advise you do whilst waiting is wander over to You Tube and take a look at some of the excellent videos people have been posting. Topics like TRIM, ILS and waypoint navigation are the best if like me you are learning to fly before shooting stuff up. Personally I think landing is one of the most exciting parts of the sim.

Finally with only the keyboard and mouse you can learn about the mission editor which will serve you well for future flights and training...

Arrrghhh HOTAS is out for delivery - heh cant wait to get home. So far I can start the A10 up without looking at the check list anymore....so I guess thats good, been reading about the CDU...whoa! lol

How many people fly online with other people?

Fiveohmike, congratulations. I also just had to wait for three weeks and finally got mine tonight. Been trying it out and it is awesome. As I couldnt wait I read the manual cover to cover and tried things in the missions with the keyboard, that was not fun. I watched loads of youtube vids and asked myself how everyone is flying that plane so smoothly. Now I know. Stick is awesome. Hope you get it tonight. Enjoy :).

I'd advise you take a long 'rose tinted' eye on a pair of pedals, as a newbie pilot myself within hours of getting my first HOTAS (cos of this sim) I realised that I wasn't going to get away without them.

That's a good advise! IMHO, three things are needed to get the full enjoyment of this sim: A good HOTAS, TrackIR and rudder pedals!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]