Dedicated Server

Krisidious

Dedicated Server  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Dedicated Server

You are a bit quick to put the blame on EDs financial interests, IMHO.

You must be careful about when you impute someone to blame another one, since I didn´t.

What I´ve said is not blaming ED´s financial interests at all, it´s simply a financial aspect which is not to be considered as an offense against ED. You must keep in mind that ED is still a Company and as Company they have to earn money. That is basically all. And this is absolutely nothings where I am disallowed to talk about. Additionally to this I relativated my guess by the end of my post.

A standalone dedicated server is only worth it once it is possible to run it in linux or a virtualized environment, the problem there being that AFAIK the engine is too dependant on DX, that is the major block that hinders the separate exe.

That´s why I said, that the current system is a good alternate solution as long as one module is needed to be purchased separately, to enable (kind of) dedicated hosting...and additionally, according to the crashes, a fixed MP environment of course.

EDIT:

The whole thing might become hairy if upcoming modules are based on a further advanced game and Graphic Engine what would force the customers (us) to purchase all the already available modules again (A-10C 2, BS3 and so on) to provide MP compatibality to each other.

If that is necessary, ED should have found a solution then, to provide a dedicated server exe file.

Edited by MemphisBelle

You must be careful about when you impute someone to blame another one, since I didn´t.

Well it is the only reason you assumed, so what am i supposed to think of that? :)

What I´ve said is not blaming ED´s financial interests at all, it´s simply a financial aspect which is not to be considered as an offense against ED.

I didn't say you were offensive, neither did i mean to imply it.

You must keep in mind that ED is still a Company and as Company they have to earn money. That is basically all. And this is absolutely nothings where I am disallowed to talk about.

I don't know why you feel the need to get all defensive, we were merely discussing the matter. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

@MemphisBelle If ED make more visual effect and other things like that the sim will be more nice and attract more people and ED will win more money, same things for the SDK that we ask, SDK will permit to attract more people due to possibility and for a lot of things...And ED will win more money finally...The SDK are not short to create i know but visual effect like :

_Better flame like that

:p perfect example of a perfectly nice flame effect who don't take performance in the GPU same thing for the smoke and better explosion effect

_Adding vapor on wings (i don't understand why we have the wing vortex vapor effect and not the big wing vapor effect) same mach cone vapor effect and corrected contrail who actually directly begin inside the reactor...

_Change color for more realistic, when we look the simulator in black and white its hard to see if its a simulator or a real footage, the 3D are correct but the texture color are false (its the same for every simulator anyways) and adding the reflection effect with options -> disabled, on our aircraft, on every aircraft, on every vehicle.(cause the plastic effect are mainly caused by the missing reflection of light and missing mirror effect)

Same thing for light effect/color from the sun who are false...

_We just over that changing 3D model of three for a better with several level like that -> 2D tree (like in old video game, for little PC config) simplified, completed and completed + advanced for around airbase.

A slider for choose the tree density and make tree collisionable, people with little config use minimum density with 2D tree and can finally see where the three are for multiplayer without make collision with invisible tree and for big PC config we can see better tree.

_Change grass for new model like what we have in Rise Of Flight (that more cover the ground and look better)

_Make new pilot body with nice and fluid head movement and animation (like Seven G) with interactive mission cards on the legs where we can directly write the information on it in the mission editor and with possibility to have custom page (for people who want help for checklist/start up or emergency procedure) and adding animation for ejection, (and change how the character interact on the ground cause actual are not really perfect)

_And adding more airport life like : ground crew with nice and complex animation and more possibility of interaction with ground like choose for repair, choose weapon by weapon the loading see the ground crew who guide our aircraft like in real and adding firefighter force who can really rescues us and improved ATC for air AND ground !

Not long and not hard to do :

Flame, explosion, smoke, vapor and contrail effect, new grass, new tree model with option and make it collisionable

Long but not hard to do :

Changing color for a more realistic in texture, 3D pilot model with animation and mission cards, ground crew 3D model with nice animation, new sun light color and effect

And long and not easy work :

Ground crew itself, firefighter itself, new ATC, integrated new tree in the simulator (i don't know if that can be easy or not to integrated it), reflection effect (light ray and mirror effect) with realistic color changing

The first list of not long and not hard to do must be done faster as possible and the rest who are long and long & hard to do can wait a little but in the futur must do.

With this changing the sim will become really better and attract a lot of new people for who the visual are important and ED Team will get more money.

Its what i think...

@Sobek possibility under Linux to use WINE ? i know its not perfectly stable, but if that work without crashing finally that can be a nice idea or not ?

I propose that cause several people use WINE and can play DX game like native game finally and without crashing...

Edited by Demongornot

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

@Sobek possibility under Linux to use WINE ? i know its not perfectly stable, but if that work without crashing finally that can be a nice idea or not ?

I propose that cause several people use WINE and can play DX game like native game finally and without crashing...

People have tried but failed so far. AFAIK, there is a problem with proactive that prevents it from working. :(

Come let's eat grandpa!

People have tried but failed so far. AFAIK, there is a problem with proactive that prevents it from working. :(

Its sad...

But what is the real difference between a dedicated server and a server like we actually have but where the computer are only dedicated to this and with a nice connection speed finally ?

For my idea of Dynamic Battlefield ok maybe its will be different, but i don't think ED Team will try to make it before long time (not before finish long list of work with future aircraft and other things and patch who will coming with anyways) but finally a simple official server who are using only for DCS Multiplayer with minimum (or disabled) graphic rending and good connection speed are possible and can give exactly the same result than other possibility ? or not ?

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

• 2 months later...
I wish for a Dedicated Server please...

Me, too, I have mentioned it before.

I pay $15 per month fee (USA) to access Aces High and keep my perk points I have earned over the years. That fee does include everything. There is no separate plane to buy on each new development. One pack of cigarettes is $10 here, to put things into perspective.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ (mentioned as a comparison as to how they do it)

I would gladly pay a similar fee for an independent server or multiple servers, as Aces High does it, to the DCS-World/DCS/Lock On empire and stop this ridiculous locked server crap.

Make some rules about proper online etiquette and give out a couple warnings to people that abuse it. If they continue the abuse, ban them for a week. Repeat offenders, ban them permanently.

Sad to say, if I want to play online, Multiplayer style, I do not often play to DCS. Why play with a couple guys when I can play with 25 or more at a time?

I like the multiple aircraft sim offerings DCS has, to play offline like the old days before the Internet. Single player mode is adequate enough for me.

I have not tried IL-2 or Falcon 4. The Falcon 4, F-16 interests me, but is there much of an online community?

There seems to be enough people around to support the various niches as to the bowling crowd, archery, rifle target shooting, hunting and fishing people, RC modeling, model train guys, etc. Though I think the Hula Hoop and roller skating fraternities have lost their influence.

Edited by ErichVon
Smokes...

Yep 2 copies (running 2nd copy of diff machine) .... so you can see why ED are dragging their feet getting

us a proper dedicated server exe for these games ... they would miss an extra sale!

Not me!

(and off topic: I'm not buying the A-10C in DCS_World if they change it from my CH_Products setup in DCS, which they have done concerning the snap views. The Su-25T is also not the same, but it is still a beta WIP)

Although it is a cool idea, I would just be happy with a simple dedicated server that can be used with TCadmin and such...

Is it me or is it hard to get a good dedicated server for flight sims? :)

Ever price a monthly T1 server fee? In my area USA it is about $500 per month. I do not know what the bandwidth limitation is with that. So, there is that. Plus the hacker mischief-makers that like to cause havoc necessitating a crew to oversee the server.

http://www.google.com/search?q=T1%20server%20fee&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

DCS so far has been focused on A2G. When FC3 comes out soon, and the DCS fighter jet after that, there will be more unlocked servers. A2A will make things more busy. That and the fact DCS World will make it so everyone can play on the same server, regardless of DCS module they own.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But what is the real difference between a dedicated server and a server like we actually have but where the computer are only dedicated to this and with a nice connection speed finally ?

1) Remote desktop control

2) No DirectX requirement

3) All resources go to running the game environment, not graphics or sound

4) Can be loaded onto a virtual machine (many server boxes are set up as virtual machines)

5) Dedicated server programs are themselves almost always free, since you already have to pay money for the server box

• 5 months later...

There is no dedicated server per definition, but in Windows you can host a game as normal, and turn off graphics rendering.

Don't get me wrong, I also think we badly need a dedicated server software, that would most effectively would run on Linux.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

This poll does not serve any purpose, a dedicated server is in development in conjunction with the new graphics engine.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Given the choice for convenience I would run a windows one as our dedicated machine runs windows anyway.

It would be alot of mucking about to change everything over to linux with little / no pay off

I can see some misclick there in the results :lol:

I hope that the question is WHEN, not IF... There was some statement somewhere, that it will be released with (included in) the legendary EDGE :smilewink: