help mapping keyboard to UFC and CDU

luckyluca

Hello,

I wanted to make use of my keyboard and map the CDU a-z letters to the a-z keys and the numbers to the numeric keypad. I would also want to map all the other function buttons too.

I guess I need help with the following:

-what CDU buttons are repeated in the UFC (thus making the mapping redundant)?

-what buttons should I avoid mapping because unused (I noticed the UFC fwd mid aft buttons to mention a few)

-in the sim, does it matter if I press the ufc keypad instead of the cdu keypad?

Thanks!

Luca

05_EGI_preview.jpg

Edited by luckyluca
added images

Simultools

hmm hmmm

I'm mostly doing fine with UFC, usually I need CDU panel only to type letters and numbers, for example tgt1 (UFC can be used to do that too tho), UFC, I think pretty much covers CDU functions although many are just easier to use from CDU. Why wouldn't you just map keys for starters and then see and experiment, note if you miss some.

-in the sim, does it matter if I press the ufc keypad instead of the cdu keypad? no

edit: (why do I always make weird typos in my posts and edit them like 1000 times?)

Edited by Iceman2011

thanks great news about 1.1.0.9.

any thoughts on which buttons are not implemented in the sim?

as you can imagine I'm still learning so haven't bumped into the more complex data handling so haven't pressed too many buttons :pilotfly:

L

Simultools

Honestly I don't use any buttons on the keyboard accept for engine on off key strokes (which are getting mapped to my G940 throttle buttons tonight) and the F keys. If you have a hotas set up you won't actually use the keyboard that much. All of your important commands will be at your fingertips. Anything else you need to do can be done via the mouse. I've been contemplating just remapping the entire CDU to my keyboard...or using a seperate keyboard. Mouse clicking the CDU is the only thing I can't stand doing in this sim.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

Honestly I don't use any buttons on the keyboard accept for engine on off key strokes (which are getting mapped to my G940 throttle buttons tonight) and the F keys. If you have a hotas set up you won't actually use the keyboard that much. All of your important commands will be at your fingertips. Anything else you need to do can be done via the mouse. I've been contemplating just remapping the entire CDU to my keyboard...or using a seperate keyboard. Mouse clicking the CDU is the only thing I can't stand doing in this sim.

How long did that take? Some ppl don't have the time luxury.

It would be nice to have it remapped in the next patch. Fingers crossed.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

To map my HOTAS? 10 minutes. I haven't mapped the CDU yet. Mapping buttons doesn't take that long. Much less than flying a mission. And you only have to do it once.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

• 4 months later...

Any tips for mapping the keyboard for use as CDU input for the 1.1.0.9 version,,, Im ready

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

The UFC number keys are already mapped and so are most of the CDU keys. Unmap some CDU keys and use those. Should be pretty quick and straight forward.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks,, when you say "already mapped",,, do you mean I just have to use the keyboard to type in say "TGT 1"? If so, I think like the "space bar" is already a function to fire gun or something,,, how do I get around that example? Thanks again

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I have the keypad setup as 0-9, the enter key as the UFC enter, the + key as my master caution, backspace as the clear... What I did for the CDU was change those keys used without Control, to with Control (A, F, G M...etc) to being used with Control. This worked easy using the Thrustmaster Cougar as I only has to change it in Foxy to match. I then went through the alphabet in the CDU so each letter corresponded with my keyboard letter making typing very fast and easy. If you use the warthog however, I'm not sure this would work as I haven't tried it yet.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

What I did for the CDU was change those keys used without Control, to with Control (A, F, G M...etc) to being used with Control.

Im not sure what this means? Currently the key binding for the use of the letter "D" in the CDU is "D+LCtrl+LWin". I dont know what you mean with/without control?

by the way, I am also using the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS. Thanks

Well,, thats doesnt help me out to much,,, I dont have that hardware,,, but thanks for the tip,,,

"I have the keypad setup as 0-9, the enter key as the UFC enter, the + key as my master caution, backspace as the clear... What I did for the CDU was change those keys used without Control, to with Control (A, F, G M...etc) to being used with Control. This worked easy using the Thrustmaster Cougar as I only has to change it in Foxy to match. I then went through the alphabet in the CDU so each letter corresponded with my keyboard letter making typing very fast and easy. If you use the warthog however, I'm not sure this would work as I haven't tried it yet. "

Im not sure what this means? Currently the key binding for the use of the letter "D" in the CDU is "D+LCtrl+LWin". I dont know what you mean with/without control?

by the way, I am also using the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS. Thanks

Just bumpin to see if I can get clarification on this,,, thanks

What he meant is like this. At the moment there are keys like plain "G" which is mapped to toggle gear up/down.

Now you change the original setting to "<LCTRL>+<LWIN>+G" or whatever fits and now you can map plain "G" to the CDU - G-key

If you repeat this for all keys directly mapped to a function ("A" - Autopilot, "F" - Flaps etc.) and map them to "<LCTRL>+<LWIN>+A", "<LCTRL>+<LWIN>+F" etc. you can use the plain keys for the CDU alphabetical input.

You got the idea ? :smartass:

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I do now,,,,, Many,many thanks,,, I appriciate you taking the time to explain,,,

You're welcome.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Think RCTL is available for most of the key combo's you need. Not that many, and I got it sorted in probably 15mins. And remember, in the assignment screen if the combo is used already, it shows up, so you just reject it and try something different.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

CAPS

I mapped all the alphabet letters of the CDU with the CAPS LOCK as a modifier. I just hold it down with my left pinky and type away with my man typing... (tip tap with my two index fingers only) :D

The numbers are all mapped to my number pad. Hope this suggestion helps.

Sloth

"You get enough sleep when you're dead!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM WH HOTAS, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5 Pro

Processor: i5 2.67Ghz

Board: Intel DP55WB

Video: Nvidia GTX650 Ti Boost

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz

Now that I seem to have this all set,,, I have a problem with my TrackIR v5. My hot keys for centering and pausing were "C" & "P",, I have no single keys available to assighn as they are utilized,, I figured no problem,,, I would add a modifier to my TrackIR Hotkey right,,,,,, Uhhhhhhh,,, that doesnt appear to be an option,,,,,,, I know someone has either a way to work around or another suggestion,,, Please help,,, thanks