FSX help

Lallan

Recently got FSX and was very disappionted with the FPS. I get a very low 16 FPS and if im lucky it may peak to 22. EVEN when i recored with FRAPS the FPS will stay between 16-22. Really need some help in making this sim more enjoyable. I run the game with most of the settings on max at a res of 1920x1080. When the Res is adjusted there is no difference in the framerate

Please help

Thanks

"Too Tall" SQ 213

i7 870 / 8GB RAM 1333MHz / 2x500Gb Hard Drives @7200 RPM / Windows 7 64 bit / ATI Sapphire 6870 / Asus P7P55D-E / NZXT Phantom Case/ Corsair H80 liquid and fan cooler.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try to limit traffic and autogen, this already should help. Moreover, I suggest you download both SP1 and SP2, unless you already got the Acceleration expansion pack.

Some tips:

• limit the water effects to 2.low or 2.mid
  • limit autogen a bit
  • limit airline traffic to 30%. Maybe try the WOAI freeware real-world traffic. Covers many many airlines: Here's the link!
  • Car and boat traffic can be quite resource intensive. Ask yourself: do you really notice them?
  • Set the Frames per seconds to Unlimited! Absolutely!

You have a system quite similar to mine, so feel free to ask!

Edited by Fabri91
  • Like 1

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

Hello Lallan,Don't get discouraged.Basically FSX out of the box with no tweaks runs like garbage even on the best systems.Your rig should run it just fine after a few enty's to the FSX cfg.file.

The best place to start is Jesus Bojote's automatic tweaking/tuning tool.

Here........... http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

The best place to find good info on tuning FSX yourself is The FSX Avsim forum here....... http://forum.avsim.net/forum/121-ms-fsx-forum/

FSX is alot like a HotRod Dragster that constantly needs to be tweeked and tuned.But Once you find that sweet spot with settings and addons it is fantastic!

Good Luck! :)

• Like 1

Patrick

mini.gif

Thank you to all of your feed back i will get to work and see if i can make the FPS a lot better XD i cant really do much more than say thanks and i have also give some reputaion to u guys as well for being very helpful which is nice for a change ;)

I recently ordered REX and GTX europe so my frame rate will drop even more but i will 'tweak' here and there and hope that all of your methods work :D

• Like 1

"Too Tall" SQ 213

i7 870 / 8GB RAM 1333MHz / 2x500Gb Hard Drives @7200 RPM / Windows 7 64 bit / ATI Sapphire 6870 / Asus P7P55D-E / NZXT Phantom Case/ Corsair H80 liquid and fan cooler.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest slikbaz
Just no. Always cap frames to what you expect to get in normal operation. Particularly... TrackIR users often experience hitching with unlimited frame cap.

I can confirm this; it also causes other planes to jitter and lag around on MP.

That must depend user by user...I run it good with frames to unlimited and I'm fine with it. However, IF you experience stutters, the use of an EXTERNAL frame limiter would considerably improve the situation. For some reason using the internal limiter slows performance also when the limit is not being hit. Try it, I'm not gone bonkers! Promised!:D

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

The external frame limiter app is a define 'YMMV' solution as well. Some users claim to have a huge benefit from using it, others don't.

I am in camp 2. There is absolutely no change in performance for me when either using or not using the external frame limiter program.

The best tip is given above; http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Go there, upload your current fsx.cfg and see what the script tells you. I got a decent increase in performance from this.

Also, the mesh, texture detail and mesh resolution sliders don't seem to affect my system either. I can either fly with them fully maxed out or at the lowest setting; there is no difference in framerate.

The water setting does affect framrate, though, as does the autogen and traffic sliders. Bloom is also a performance hog.

MTFDarkEagle once posted here that he was able to get stellar performance out of FSX, you only needed to configure it correctly. I have tried to contact him via PM, but he does not reply.

Perhaps he will chime in here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

• 2 weeks later...

Right people i have now got FSX looking great. REX arrived (real enviroment xtreme) and ground terrian X as well. The onlyt things is that i installed both of them and there is no difference. How do i install them?

"Too Tall" SQ 213

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Right people i have now got FSX looking great. REX arrived (real enviroment xtreme) and ground terrian X as well. The onlyt things is that i installed both of them and there is no difference. How do i install them?

This is getting a little out of hand. I'm certain either they came with installation instructions, instructions are available on the publisher's website, or you could easily find instructions for them using a google search. :noexpression: Always do your homework before asking for help!

• 5 weeks later...

You just install them, then run REX and then you can choose a profile. You say you installed ground terrain, do you mean ground environment x or ultimate terrain x? They do very different things, though Ultimate terrain X will be much less noticeable initially.

I've spent a lot of time configuring FSX and have probably managed to double or triple my FPS through various configs. Please keep in mind that if you're having problems running default aircraft with default scenery, you will lose significant FPS when (if) you decide to fly a realistic jetliner like the PMDG stuff. Optimisation is absolutely essential. I notice that you have REX, so I'd recommend going over to their website and downloading the overdrive package, it's huge but worth every mb!

Anyway, first off I'd say install all of your addons (restarting your system between each install) followed by a defrag. If you don't have a payware defragger then install auslogics which is an excellent freeware alternative, and tell it run a "defrag and optimise" - this WILL take quite a while as youve just installed about 40gbs worth of stuff.

World of AI is also very good and managed to triple the amount of obvious traffic with no FPS decrease. Takes a while (about 2 hours) to install every single airline, but very much worth it, and you can't argue with the price.

As others have said, run the auto config tool (venetubo) and that'll give you a nice boost.

For big FPS boosts turn off road traffic, particularly if you're running it via ground environment x (could be ultimate terrain x, I forget which handles that!)

Also, my advice is to turn off civilian traffic and ships. I've spent a lot of time at major airports and it's reasonably rare to see a little Cessna amid all those Airbus' and Boeings. At least for me, it doesn't ruin the airport experience to not see them. If you're flying from smaller fields then sure, turn it on.

Make sure you disable DX10 preview (it's a joke), and also make sure that bloom is off, as others have mentioned. In my opinion it doesn't look realistic, and it certainly isn't worth the 12 or so FPS drop it causes.

Scenery sliders you can pretty much max out as they have little effect on fps in my experience, however autogen density does! I keep mine at dense for a nice mixture of a fair bit of scenery, but not so much so that it cripples my system.

FSX can be absolutely beautiful when correctly configured so I would suggest you do spend some time setting it up - it's absolutely worth it. I've learnt more about aviation over the past month with the PMDG 737NGX than I have in years from any other sims, simply because it's all there. SIDS, STARS, Airways...I didn't know they existed! Couple it with VATSIM and you have the most realistic flight simulator available, short of going for a full motion simulator at a major airline.

I persevered for a few days and got FSX looking better than this (because the screen captures are low quality) at a consistent 22+fps on the ground at complex airports, and abouut 50fps in the air. This is with the PMDG 737NGX.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=78790

Good luck

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Holy crap :( my backup has failed me! I accidentally have deleted my FSX profile for my X52 Pro stick! Can anybody with a reasonable new profile help? e-mail or post here ;)

EDIT: Found a copy of my profile :D

(HJ)

Edited by HiJack

• 3 weeks later...

FSX crash

For some weird reason when i play FSX for about 40-45 mins or so it decides to crash no matter what plane im flying. This is not the only problem my computer has also been crashing regulary as well and comes up with input error or some other error!!!

"Too Tall" SQ 213

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Without more information exactly what kind of help are you looking for. It certainly does not sound like FSX is at fault if the problem happens at other times.

Could be Windows, could be hardware, could be...just about anything!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: